Minor/Repaint: Upgraded DOTM Skyhammer w/ PCC head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by blaynescott, May 29, 2012.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

While I really need to get around to posting some of my custom Transformers, I just wanted to share a quick mod I did tonight after buying a DOTM Skyhammer:

Using a PCC Smolder's combiner head, my dremel to widen the peg hole, and Jin's Hotglue trick (to give it a perfect fit, while retaining articulation), I 'fixed' the odd-looking head on Skyhammer.

I'm actually kicking myself for not having bought this figure sooner - it was one of the few Voyagers I found while working in Korea earlier this year, but never picked him up. It's an AWESOME toy. I also can't wait for the Headrobots kit to come out so I can pick up another. :) 

Anyhow - I haven't seen anyone do this mod before, so I thought I'd share it here. The black plastic from the PCC head matches the black helicopter blades, and the amber lightpiping is a pretty close match for Skyhammers windows. Win-win!

-Blayne

Attached Files:

2. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow this head does work better for this mold!

3. blaynescott

Ebay:
    It also transforms easily without any space restrictions, as the new head is roughly the same size as the original. :) 

4. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Wouldnt call that an improvement unless you're trying to get it to fit in with your RiD/Prime figures

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How does a power core figure's head on a movie toy make you think it looks like the Prime aesthetic? I don't see it.

I think it looks cool :thumb 

6. blaynescott

Ebay:
    I feel it has a Classics vibe to it. I'm not a fan of the alien-looking movie style with it's overemphasized tech-look. This figure has some of that, but similar to the DOTM Voyager Megatron, it has enough flat surfaces with minimal panel lining that I feel it fits alongside other classics figures and 3rd party figures. :) 

Also, the original head felt too washed out looking - the black of the replacement head adds some much needed definition.

7. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    im doing something similar with mine good job as well