Updated homage TF new molds minus nebulans,beast modes & shells? like or hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Updated homage TF new molds minus nebulans, minus beast modes & minus shells? like or hate?

How does everyone feel about Hasbro/Takara creating all these updated homage TF new molds without the G-1 gimmicks. like the headmasters,no targetmasters,no pretender shells no power master engines.

Personally I'd rather get a exact updated homage instead of a radical updated homage. if the updated homage doesn't have the G-1 gimmicks then it's a radical updated homage.

recent release examples:

(1)ROTF 2010 Mindwipe not having a animal bat alt mode & missing the headmaster.
    (2) HFTD 2010 Highbrow missing his headmaster.
    (3) ROTF Bludgeon missing his pretender shell & inner robot gimmicks stuff/accessories
    (4) Generations Skullgrin missing his pretender shell & inner robot gimmicks/accessories/stuff.
    (5) Universe classics 2.0 TRU exclusive dreadwing missing his powermaster nebulan engine/humanoid figure accessory.
    (6) Energon scorponok,minus his headmaster nebulan partner/gimmicks.
    (7)Generations Deluxe Thunderwing. minus the pretender shell & inner smaller robot gimmicks/stuff/accessories.

Personally i'm not a fan of Hasbro/Takara giving us either pre-forms or after-forms. where these character toys are suspose to represent the before years before they got their headmaster/powermaster/pretender shells gimmicks. or after forms,where these characters out grew their nebulan partners/pretender shells & got rid of them.

I'd like to see hasbro do the updated homage new pretender toys as follows:
    instead of the whole front shell popping off. how about a few panels from the front shell open up to squeeze a basic sized robot inside the shell. ofacuse for this to work the pretender shell must be voyager sized & bigger.

I don't understand why hasbro refuses to give us updated homage headmasters with heads that transform into humaniod nebulan partners.
    Is hasbro afraid todays kids are going to lose the headmaster & not then have a robot with no head??

I'm sorry,all these gimmicks
    (headmasters,targetmasters,powermasters,pretender shells,brainmasters,breastforce) the 1987 thru 1990 TF toys had made them extra special & more powerful than the average transformer fiction character. take all this stuff away then the characters are now puny & not special anymore.

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

For the love of... it's an update or a homage, not both.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't mind that you seem to like pulling new terms to describe toy designs out of thin air and then treating them as if they are matter-of-fact, but PLEASE stop using the term updated homage. It makes no sense. The two terms are mutually exclusive.

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Your examples are also poor.

You picked out several movie figures and an Energon figure, none of which represent the original characters they're based on, but instead they represent new interpretations of them in different continuities.

Energon Scorponok wasn't a Headmaster, thus his figure is not a Headmaster.

The only good examples you picked out were Skullgrin and Dreadwing, but then again... they're repaints, so it's expected that they're not going to have any gimmicks their original figures had.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As much as I fancy a lot of the gimmicks and would like to see them return, I really don't mind these updated versions. I see nothing wrong with depictions of how these characters were prior or subsequent to binary-bonding or adopting Pretender shells. In some cases, even, the updates far surpass the originals.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I want a Powermaster Optimus Prime, there is no need for a Powermaster-Partner Hi-Q, just Prime in an updated version of this form with all the guns! :D 

There is even no need for a Trailer, as long as his robot mode looks like the robot mode of Powermaster Prime! :) 

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

A PMOP updated homage with only the smaller cab/bot & no super robot trailer+cab bot combined mode-------> NO THANKS...........

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i could deal with that, what i mainly want is the super ginrai robot mode for my classics shelf, but i would like at least a trailer, powermaster is not important

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yep I mean Super Ginrai :) 

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So basically every homage OR update has to include the g1 gimmicks, cannot be a before or after version of the g1 character and cannot be another take on the character in another universe/setting. That leaves no variety.

Personally i love a homage like Mindwipe and the updates like Dreadwing. We get very nice figures now and there is always a chance down the road of another update OR homage.

11. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back in the days when they were first thought up, the gimmicks you talk of (Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, Pretender shells etc.) were nothing more than that: new features to add to Transformers toys to make them stand out again from the 'boring' TF's of the previous years. Of course a lot of these features became canon in TF fiction, but I still see no need for a direct one-to-one conversion of those gimmicks to the updates of these characters.

12. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I personally don't give a shit if a update/homage (they're separate terms, for the love of crap) of a character doesn't replicate their gimmicks entirely. Half because the characters in question were from a time that I either didn't know about Transformers or hadn't been born yet, and half because it's one of those things not worth worrying about.

Also, dude, you don't need to include every single descriptor (or whatever the term is) for a figure. You don't need to say "Universe classics 2.0 TRU exclusive dreadwing", you can just say, "Universe Dreadwing" or "Classics 2.0 Dreadwing" or maybe just "Classics Dreadwing" or if you're feeling really gutsy "CHUG Dreadwing". Depends how much you want to derail the thread.

Also also, your thread titles are a tad bit long. You can just say "Homage figures minus original gimmicks - like/hate?". Saves a lot of wear and tear on your finger muscles.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    old skool is new skool. At least they made Cyclonus a Targermaster. :/

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I see it, all updates are homages, but not all homages are updates.

and "updated homage" is right out. :) 

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How did I know (from the forums home) that this was another Tigermegatron thread? It had the words 'updated' and 'homage' in the title.

16. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

And said title is twice as long as other thread titles due to needless clarification. That's how I identify Tigermegatron threads.

17. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

An updated homage is an update of a previously made homage. Simple.

18. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Wait until they start homaging the updates, then we're in trouble.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Isn't your arguement that they are only Pretender shells?

Bored now.

No.

Big improvement.

First of all, if he's missing the Pretender Shell and the inner robots, accessories, and stuff, what's left? An empty box? Anywho...

Vastly prefered. Bludgeon really is what was once the shell. The zombie/ghost samurai with mad skills and grand and crazy plans. I tend to ignore the Wreckage redeco of Bludgeon as you did in your list there, but I did it because as I said; Ghost Samurai = Bludgeon. Not small crappy robot.

Nope. More annoyed that it's not a real good reuse of the Straxus mold.

LOL, no. I hated Powermasters as a kid. What a pointless and stupid gimmick. As an adult, it's even sillier. It's also one of the aspects of the franchise that the new comics haven't even come close to touching.

This is actually the one that got me to respond rather than just roll my eyes and close the thread. Not the same dude. Why don't you complain that BW Scorponok lacks the same, or that every Optimus Prime isn't a Powermaster since 1988?

Not even a tiny bit. Again to me, Thunderwing is his Pretender Shell form. He transformed out of it what, once in the entire G1 Marvel comic run? I don't think we even saw his inner robot in Stormbringer. I'd far sooner complain that he isn't Voyager sized than that he's missing his tiny robot.

Other than his inner robot, what else is he missing? Technically he even has that in his non-transforming drone that looks and attaches to his jet form just stuck in plane/jet mode.

The Japanese Headmaster concept was a nice one. The US version far less so. Targetmasters are a solid concept (Which we got in Targetmaster Cyclonus! No props for that?). The rest is a pretty easy pass, especially when the Pretenders we've gotten have been outer shell is the new bot mode.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it just gives more fuel to the third party companies to make add ons