Updated Generation 2 Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jacer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, that's pretty cool. I was just gonna use him as G2 Hubcap since he's red and all, but I like that a lot. Is anyone else super disappointed there's no Laser Rods in Generations yet? I feel like the gimmick still holds water and the designs actually wouldn't need a ton of work.

Also, this is a bit of a stretch and gets way into 'repurposing' territory, but the Universal Studios Evac figure reminds me a ton of Skram, just with less orange.

2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Could add General Optimus Prime and Sgt. Hound now I suppose...

3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Movie Hubcap has been repurposed as G1/2 Hubcap so he's kind of 2 homages in one

4. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yuup, I've been using him as his neo-G1 self for a bit...just wish for a CHUGier head...

5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    how far off would Armada Megs with G1's head be?

6. Prime Noble

I agree with the head. The fiction that depicts him with the movie mold actually gives him his G1 head.

On a similar note I wish rotf Nightbeat had a CHUGier head too.

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I have a little bit of G2 on my shelves.

On the top shelf I have Generations Nightbeat, Generations Nightbeat, and GDO Megatron. The middle shelf has Legion Class Tank Megatron.

And technically Sky-Byte counts because of his appearance in his RID body in Transformers Legends. According to the Wiki anyway. :p 

Attached Files:

8. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well, we now have G2 Aerial bots and Stunti cons to add to this list...

9. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeppers...

11. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The United versions of the Power Core Combiners do technically count as G2 figures and include Rapido and Mantaray under their Japanese names. However, their appearances in that line were set BEFORE G2 and before they received their wild colors from their Forestoneite upgrade. So those figures are G1 re-engineerings of G2 characters, at least in Japanese continuity. In Botcon's Wings Universe, the newer G1.5 and G2 characters were born in G2 on earth explicitly after G1 ended.

Similarly, Black Convoy is G2 Daniel Witwicky, whose mind was placed in an empty Optimus Prime clone and Black Starscream is BOTH a mod to black G1 Starscream reissue in Japan being set post-G2 and Hasbro's planned but unreleased black repaint G2 Starscream.

Universe Legends Skydive is a Cyberjet Air Raid homage. (Probably mislabeled on the packaging and meant to be Air Raid.)

Walmart Dark of the Moon Sideswipe is a G2 Spychanger Sideswipe homage (with a Transtech logo).

Construct-Bots Grimlock packaged with Target Silver Knight Optimus Prime is based on the unreleased G2 tigerstripe Grimlock deco. You may balk at the movie inclusion but if SDCC AoE-repaint Dinobots are the G1 Dinobots (and they are, supposedly) then Construct-Bot Grimlock can work. He's a good fit scale wise and a bit closer than the G2 Jazz homage from the boxed set (who I interpret to be chronologically after the first G2 Jazz in my head canon but probably pre-Unreleased Lasercycle Jazz).

Going by G2 General Prime and Sgt. Hound's bios establish that they are indeed the final forms of Prime and Hound at the end of the war in a G2 universe and that Starscream and Megatron were in ATB form at that point. I kind of sculpt my G2 collection not just around G2 but around the idea of "final form" Transformers. Everything since the end of G2 was a reboot or reimagining. So, for instance, is Lasercycle Jazz came out, that would be the Jazz I display. My one exception is I'm on the fence whether to count Go-Bot homages because the only fiction we have for them pegs them as clones.

At the same time, at least some of the Machine Wars figures count for me even if the looks were also used by clones because some of those looks (MW Mirage) were established to be looks used by actual G1 characters at some point post-G2. It's probably iffy when, for instance, Mirage switched to the teal but but what fiction we do have about MW seems to place the main story post-G2 and pre-Beast Wars. So the MW decos might fit into G2 era depending on whether you care about the idea of a post-toy G2 era that General Optimus and striped Grimlock would come from.

None of the MW fiction we have has a revived Megatron or Optimus Prime, mind you and I think at least one version of that storyline still has Megatron in Galvatron form. It's all pretty much manga, tech specs, and Botcon supplemental stuff supplying the late, post-Marvel Comics G2/post-Headmasters cartoon G2 and Machine Wars story anyway. So I think we all get to decide what counts for our G2 shelf to an extent but, for me, MW counts and pre-Beast Wars robot forms might even count as being G2-era if a character is old enough. (For instance, maybe Botcon car-mode Tigatron, Spider Arcee, or at least some of the others could be considered G2 era characters. Heck, maybe Combiner Hunters Arcee lines up enough that you could consider her a retroactive G1.5 Arcee.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime Noble

I wonder if the Shapeways Hubcap head for Titans Bumblebee would fit on that movie Hubcap mold.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hmmm, hadn't thought about that...!!!...

• Like Like x 1
  14. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    You could try an actual G1 Hubcap head.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Prime Noble

True. I had a spare G1 Hubcap until today where I used his head to give scout Generations Sandstorm a head closer to his G1 animation model.

Still I might try the G2 Hubcap I have who's a red head anyway.

16. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    You might have to paint the head a flat red though.

The Takara Titans Return Megatron is a homage to the G2 Hero Megatron, or Archforce.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime Noble

Oh I'd definitely have to paint Hubcaps head.

I have Archforce here myself. 14 years ago this very week, my first fiancee bought me a bulk lot of G2 Transformers for my birthday.

Hubcap and Archforce were among them. 33 figures in all. Along with an oversized Korean Bruticus around the same time, they were nice introductions to the EBay experience. Maybe too nice considering the money I've spent since then.