Minor/Repaint: *updated* Alternators Shockwave Finally Got Upgraded

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Dec 10, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I highly doubt any of you guys remember what WAS to have been my very first custom: An upgrade to Alternators Shockwave. I of course am known for really only repaints, minus the Cybertron Armorhide trailer and my Cybertron Alpha Trion of course. My first custom actually isn't a repaint at all. Well, I take that back, I ended up mixing Testors Classic yellow and Future Floor Finish to make a clear yellow that I painted the light-piping of the eye because my copy of the big guy had a super-pale eye that upon inspection, had almost no paint on it at all :(  well that's fixed! The big thing, and the actual customizing that I set out to do, was to give him the one big thing he lacked in comparison to his original G1 self: A light-up gun-hand! I'm not finished yet, but I'm really close.

I took apart the forearm, and removed the plug that holds the hand via ball-joint. I drilled out a hole into the groove that's already molded into the back of it, so that I could have enough room to stick in a white LED. I got it from a Target gift-card that I got last Christmas that lit up. I had hoped to get more as this was my last one, but sadly it seems they aren't selling the light up cards anymore. The card contained an LED, and a circuitboard which holds 3 button-cell batteries, and a push-button. I had to clip the wires as they were way too short, then solder on new wires which I yanked from a piece of telephone wire (my first time using a soldering iron, ha!) Once that was done, I slid a heat-shrink rubber tube over the two wires, shrank them with a lighter, then drilled out a hole on the inside piece of the forearm. This is where I am now. When I put the forearm back together, I first put a nice bit of glue to hold the led and tube into place. Tomorrow I will solder the two extended wires back onto the lil circuit board (btw, its the same setup that I used on the Armorhide trailer) and then install the circuitboard onto the inside of the car's cab roof. Its JUST too big to fit under the hood unfortunately, but the way the car transforms, this won't cause me any problems at all! I've only got one concern: The wires are a tiny bit stiff, and I'm a little worried that whenever I transform him, it'll cause the led to twist inside the arm, and if the LED isn't pointed towards the gunhand, then its effect is dramatically reduced.

If anyone has a suggestion to further hold the LED in its exact position, please feel free to offer a suggestion. I have snapped a quick picture of him letting the glue dry, and you can also see how much better his eye looks thanks to how awesome his light-piping works. After literally a whole year, I'm finally going to get this idea to reach fruition :lol 

[​IMG]

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

My gut reaction is to, gulp, make everything fit inside of the forearm (LED, batts, wiring, circuit board (may be too large, don't know), and mount the switch on the outside of the arm).

Does the circuitboard impart some type of flashing capability? If its just to make the LED light up, I would suggest ditching the board, and just using the LED, wire, batteries, and a small switch...you may be able to get all that to fit.

Either way, dude, that is a very cool idea. Of course, keeping the black tube attached to the arm is a neat homage to G1. Keep us updated!

3. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well, there's no way in hell you're putting anything like that in the arm, the gap between the elbow joint and the balljoint cavity for the hand is miniscule at best. like I said, I had to drill out part of the back of the balljoint cavity to make room for the LED alone. I WAS however, going for a G1 homage with the black hose :)  I took some pictures of him all wired up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologize for the pictures not being the best :( 

-Andy

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    that is freakin cool

5. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

About damn time you made this thing! :p 

He looks beautiful by the way. The hose looks just as cool as I thought it would, and the LED effect looks fantastic. I only wish I had the guts to try that myself!

Excellent work, bro! :thumb 

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Badass!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    RL, that's awesome man!

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'd be curious to know where that hose "plugs" in...

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hehe thanks everyone :)  'beak you biatch, you're still alive! :eek: 

CDN: it just goes inside his back... the button and all that are on the underside of the cab's roof, in robot mode its on the inside; its actually nicely unobtrusive!

10. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Wow..How great!! I really wish the original ALT version of him actually came with a feature like that..

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

That is all sorts of awesome.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'm cool with my working g1 shockwave :D 

good job. the rubber hose look flabby tho.

flabby hose teehee.

13. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

What does he look like transformed? Where does the wire go? Can it still light up and give it the street racer under car lights and all then?

14. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

sweet job... quite unique

15. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

That's really cool man. I'm also curious about the alt mode, how does the hose work and where the batteries attach to?

I would totally love to combine this with my leg mod on my Shockwave.

16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Naysayer!! :lol 

It looks great, by the way!

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    First, YES it'll still light-up and give him a ground-effects type look. Secondly, The side of the arm with the hose sticking out faces straight down when he's transformed, so it'll bend over and go through the gap in the cab that's between the floorboard and the steering column. The tiny lil circuit board just lays in the cab. I've not gotten any photos of him in altmode cause I'm so darned happy with him in robotmode :lol  I will try and get some more pictures soon as possible, so I can take pictures of him lit-up next to my G1, and also so you guys can see him in car mode. Too bad that means I have to get his head back through the hood! :p 

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    More Photos! Me Grimlock want more photos!

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    That is some asskickery right there.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You never know, Shocky or Redline may just be able to take out Razerwire! *snickers*