Update on G1 DVD sets... not good...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lazeric, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone have the Costco 20th movie exclusive? It came with a bonus disc Season 1 pilot miniseries, More Than Meets The Eye. Just wondering if the bonus disc has been remastered or different than the Rhino release.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This might be obvious to others, but I don't really know much about Sony--does one division of their's closing down ensure they won't release something they just bought the license for? I mean, they're still going to be making DVDs for movies and television shows produced by Sony Pictures. So even if they don't have a specialty division, the set could still be released.

Right? Or am I way off base?

3. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Well, on the other hand, via Buena Vista they released the 90's Fantastic Four series when the first film came out.

I think they didn't release X-Men or Spider-Man to capitalize on the movies because those shows were tied up in red tape. When X2 came out a single disk "best of" release of the 90's X-Men toon came out called "The Legend of Wolverine".

Also, when X3 and Spider-Man 2 came out, Toon Disney played both the X-Men and the Spider-Man shows (including Amazing Friends) every week night. It's more likely that Disney will reair RID when the live action film is released.

4. Godconvoy

Godconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's awesome I didn't even know that. I'm going to have to have some one with a Costco card go check that out.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    you know, I just looked on ebay. the rhino boxed sets seem to be going for about what I paid for them at retail...

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Good question. While it's true Sony has other divisions that produce DVDs, it seems unlikely that that scenario could happen. Sony Wonder was their kids' video division, releasing mostly like Sesame Street and Veggie Tales. Any Transformers release, even one of material from the 80's that is unlikely to attract many actual children, is almost certainly going to be on a kids label.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It really sucks this happened. I made quite a few good friends at the Sony Wonder offices. These guys gave me the chance of a lifetime to be part of the 20th Anniversary DVD. You will never have a more fan friendly group of people working on the Transformers DVD's again. That I can guarantee.

Thanks for everything guys. You made this Transformers fans dream a reality.

8. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    Proud owner of all the Rhino DVDs, awful CG and stupid Rhino character in all. :D 

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I'm covered with my $30 wooden chinese boxset (98 episodes + movie).

10. Gregatron_Old

Gregatron_Old Member

For those who claim to love the Rhino sets and say that the current DVD versions are perfectly acceptable, check this out. Comparisons of the original broadcast versions of the episodes vs. the Rhino DVDs.

These clips show just how badly a proper G1 DVD release is needed. More comparisons are forthcoming from the videos' poster.

"War of the Dinobots":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtCQaRAfIgc

"Heavy Metal War":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IiWe-pUzkk

Let's hope that Sony (or whomever will eventually release new DVD sets) gets their act together.

11. Master Sing

Master Sing G1 OG

Yeah it's all you really need

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, and your point is?

I've watched the clips and I still say that the Rhino DVDs are just fine for me. So posting those vids by Grimbot proves nothing really.

And besides that, ALL your complaints always revolve around the season 1 set. From where I stand Rhino seemed to have learned and improved when they did the season 2 and 3 sets.

All in all though, I hope someone else puts out the G1 series. If for anything that fans who opted against purchasing the Rhino sets because of money and such. Can have the opportunity to enjoy the original series :) 

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's crazy that Rhyno let all those mistakes slip out.

14. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gah, I never got the rhino release, I just have old VHS but I don't understand how they can mess all that up so bad, I'm an animator and I've done some compositing but I dont see how that went down, were they tracing over and recolouring every cel or something or digitally changing the colours to whatever they want? Haha, like there wasn't enough seeker colour change mistakes in the original

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    From what I understand, the actual masters were no where to be found. They had to go with what they had, and all they had access to were the unfinished edits. They didn't want to use the video cassettes to convert to DVD because hey feared the quality of the video transfers would be sub-par.

Look at the Thundercats sets. The masters were not available for those sets. They only had video tapes. So they transfered fro mthem. The quality of the video is below average at best.

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Speaking as someone who owns the Thundercats sets, I've never noticed how "below average"(as you put it) the video is. Honestly compared to most other animated DVDs I own I never really noticed a difference. And even after viewing an episode again, I still can't see the below average video quality

17. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

I'm glad I purchased the Chinese DVD set with the english soundtrack. The menu's take getting used to, but so worth the money.

18. Master Sing

Master Sing G1 OG

Amen

19. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

There's just one thing that annoys me about the S1 Rhino set - When MIRAGE materialises in the Decepticon ship near the end of THE ULTIMATE DOOM part 3, it looks like a really badly pasted modern video effect.
    Even little things like that annoy the buggery out of me.

20. JonnyT

JonnyT Well-Known Member

Yet for various sequences in some of the episodes and one complete episode it its entirety, that's exactly what Rhino did. And strangely enough, not many people noticed they'd actually used the finalized 1 inch masters for those bits of footage in the set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.