Update by shout on takara dvds

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shout gave an update on the transformers takara american dvds--

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/2724/thread.aspx#17297

"No news to report re: the Takara collection.

As for the suggestions, I agree that would be the ultimate set. There's one thing to really consider, though. Since this would essentially be a Japanese import, meaning only that there is no established mainstream audience; only hardcore fans of Transformers, we probably wouldn't be expecting a HUGE number of sales. That means the production costs would have to be relatively low to justify producing the sets.

If a reasonable dub already existed, we could probably get a hold of that. If there was a fan dub that the Transformers fandom mutually agreed was the best, we could probably get that. But there's no chance we'd be able to produce all-new English language dubs, especially with the original cast. Name voice talent can charge upward of $10,000 just for making an appearance! Regardless of the number of episodes, we just wouldn't be able to afford the likes of Peter Cullen and Frank Welker on a professional level. The audience for Japanese animated series just isn't big enough. And I say that with the knowledge that Go Lion--the animated series that originally spawned the American Voltron--didn't sell very well when it was brought to the U.S., either.

This also applies to remastering episodes. The fewer we expect to sell, the lower the costs have to be. And remastering original film elements is insanely expensive. You can do it to a feature film that runs 90-120 minutes without cringing too badly. But doing several 22-24-minute episodes is PAINFUL to the wallet. I'm afraid this would be an impossibility.

Hope all of this helps!

Brian"

So original va's are out and if anyone knows a good fandub or wants to help them dub it for free then it might get a dvd release.

I think the zone and scramble city fandub is good but what about the rest.

Sounds like the tfcog guys need to contact shout! They might end up on a real dvd release!

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The relatively few americans who would be interested in these series could just track down the Madman and Metrodome DVDs.

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Reasonable I guess. But Peter Cullen is only in 2-3 episodes of Headmasters. Frank Welker would be in a load more as he's Galvatron. And as for Masterforce and Victory. They could just hire new people.

4. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I'm personally thinking this indicates that we won't be getting the Japanese series on DVD. I would be happy with subs only, but I think I might be in the minority there.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True I'm very happy with my Metrodome DVDs. Still it would be great to see these series with a good English dub that would not have to be played on a multi-region player.

6. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Why don't they just sub?

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Metrodome versions but I would buy them again in a heartbeat if they were region 1. Not having a region free DVD player means having to hook my laptop up to the TV just to watch them.

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For God's sake, just have them get in touch with TV Nihon and release them subtitled.

9. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should work with Hasbro so they can be shown on the hub. The x-amount of months later have them released on dvd. This way they could afford to have the shows dubbed.

10. HighCaptSpock

HighCaptSpock Autobot Logician

News Credits:
    That's the first thing I thought of, too. It might be a possibility after if G1 does well.

I would also be perfectly content with subtitles only.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Except these Japanese shows will be in Japanese with subs. The Hub is unlikely to air that sort of stuff, nor will the likely intended audience bother to watch it if they did.

This isn't the case of the American population being ignorant or racist or whatever I've seen anime fans throw up in this sort of discussion, but simply what is considered to be normal and comfortable for the average person.

12. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    This is the part that made me give up on the fab dub option....

I'm all for subs. I have no problem reading while watching a show.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I'm in for subtitles. I have no problem with them, and I never expected they'd get the G1 voice actors anyway.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Who in their right mind thought dubbing with Cullen/Welker/etc. was remotely feasible?

Subs would be plenty.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Dr. Smoove to voice them :D 

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Exactly. Why can't they just release all of the Japanese G1 shows in subtitled format?

17. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just give me subtitles. I like to read.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Subs are fine so long as they don't call Ginrai "Optimus Prime" or any of the others. Keep the Japanese names.

19. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Who brought up re-dubbing the show? That would never happen, I was hoping for subtitles. Guess we are getting nothing. Time to track down the Metrodome sets.

20. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Yeah, I'd like to know who brought up that idea. An english dub at this point (at least an official one) is a pipe dream. I certainly don't expect them to spend big money on Voice Actors and the like.

As for the Cullen/Welker talk, Cullen's role would be minimal. Prime doesn't last that long in the Headmasters cartoon. Still, I'm sure his rate for such a role would be high. I could not care less about Welker returning to voice Galvatron. I never liked his rendition of the character. I'd rather have someone else give it a go. He's not vital to success IMO.

Apart from those 2 big names, what other old G1 VAs would you need? Michael Bell? You could always get someone else for Brainstorm. The HMs don't exactly need big names to voice them. I believe Welker voiced Chromedome, but his role in Rebirth was minimal. I think the hardest part would be getting Susan Blu for Arcee and Dick Gautier for Rodimus. Of course Rodimus doesn't last that long in the HM series.

For the other Japanese shows, start from scratch. You don't need big names for new characters. It's not like the Masterforce and Victory characters were present in the american cartoon.