Upcoming movie thread #24601: Les Miserables 2012

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by shibamura_prime, May 30, 2012.

1. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I know that there have got to be some musical theater fans around here. What, like five...?

Les Miserables Trailer (2012) - YouTube

After that horrible Phantom of the Opera movie I had low expectations for this after it was announced, even with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway. But after seeing this trailer (more like watching it ten times in a row at work) I think they might have actually done it. The tone from this trailer alone looks pitch perfect. Christmas can't get here soon enough.

2. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I love the musical, purchased the CD, and I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. I think Hathaway's rendition of "I Dream A Dream" is very haunting and perfect, given the state that Fantine was in when she sang the song. This Christmas is going to be amazing, with Les Miserables, Skyfall, and The Hobbit all vying for our dollars. It's going to be one terrific holiday season at the theatre.

3. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Her face when she sings "so different from the hell I'm living" sent chills down my spine. Even the edited version for the trailer is soaked with beauty and desperation. And Russell Crowe as Javert? I've never heard him sing but I'm sure there's a reason they cast him besides star power. I cannot wait for this movie.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES!! This will be goddamn great!

5. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    This movie could be as long as the musical and I wouldn't care. I'd still watch it ten damn times in the theater if they can pull this off right.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a musical theater expert (I direct school musicals) and I too hted Phantom of the Opera and was eyeballing this one with harsh expectations but seemed to like the trailer. The only role I am concerned about is Jvert. Phillip Quast who played Javert on Broadway (youtube him folks) is EPIC as Javert, the perfect personification of him that I hate to picture anyone else in the role. Can Russel Crowe even sing? I know Anne and Hugh, and Amanda can but can Russel?

7. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Sorry, gotta put my nerd hipster hat on and correct you: Phillip Quast never played Javert on Broadway. He played him off Broadway in GB and I think Australia(?) and was the only non-original main cast member from either London or New York to be in the 10th Anniversary Concert.

8. -Superion-

Russell Crowe actually sings with his band in Australia, so I think he can probably get the job done. And I'm sure he'll be eons better than Gerald Butler as The Phantom in the movie adaptation of POTO (what was ALW thinking when he cast Butler, anyway?).

9. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Do we blame Webber for Gerard Butler, or Joel Schumacher...? XD

10. -Superion-

I heard Webber was very hands-on with the movie during the production, so I doubt Schumacher could've sneaked Butler by without his permission. I thought Patrick Wilson clearly out-sang Butler in the movie even though The Phantom is a more pivotal role than Raoul, and that was a shame.

11. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    I guess Webber saw something in Leonidas that we didn't. He played The Phantom a little hard on the psycho side for my tastes. I like Emmy Rossum, but thought she was horribly miscast too. She's supposed to be this overwhelming voice but her presence seemed too meek. Minnie Driver sang circles around her.

12. -Superion-

Well, they actually dubbed Driver's voice in the movie, so it wasn't her who sang circles around Rossum. And Rossum is actually a classically-trained singer and I thought she did an incredible job as Christine. It's just too bad that she made some bad career choices afterward and did not capitalize on her Golden Globe nomination for this movie.

13. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    That I didn't know. Who stood in for her?

14. TK458

TK458 Assassino!

Recently converted Les Mis Fan :D .

I was at a State Academic Decathlon when my friend did an all nighter with Les Miserables The Complete Symphony..... Darnit! >.<

Now I'm reading the book, have one of the albums, and am going to a Live showing down in Frisco this August in preparation for the Movie.

15. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Emmy Rossum was too young for Christine. Patrick Wilson's mother is actually an opera singer so he was trained when he was younger. Both Gerard Butler AND ussel Crowe sing on the side with their respective bands which is why I am scared to see Russel play Javert as Gerard horribly played the Phantom.
    Yes I will stand corrected as Broadway technially refers to New York Phillip Quast played Javert in the Australian and London "Broadway" equivelant type shows.

16. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
  17. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife is extremely excited for Les Mis. I've never really been a huge musical fan but I will definitely see this as the cast looks great and I think it's interesting that they are going for the live singing. (a little glad they moved it to Dec 25 as now it won't be in competition with the Hobbit for my time.....I prefer to see The Hobbit but my wife REALLY wants to see Les Mis.....now problem solved!)

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This could be really good. Crowe has his own band, and has achieved some renown with it, so I imagine he can sing to some degree.

Fun Les Mis fact: Both Javert and Valjean may be based on the same, real-life person, Eugene Francois Vidocq:

Eugène François Vidocq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thank you for the bump, aaahhh it's so nice to speak with fellow musical theater fans.

20. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits: