Upcoming DC Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primal, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    DC Comics President Paul Levitz gave an update on some of the movie projects in the works.

Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman: "It's coming along. Supposedly, Joss is turning a script in any moment now. I can't emphasize enough how normal it is for these projects to take forever."

The Watchmen: "Warners is looking at Watchmen right now. I believe they are looking for a director at the moment. I negotiated the Watchmen film deal when the third issue of the maxi-series was coming out in 1985 or 1986. It's been through Fox, Universal, Paramount so far and now it's at Warners. God knows. I think it's an extraordinary difficult property to do right as a film. It is a creative property that is very specifically designed for the medium in which it is published. I think it's a real challenge to break out and do it. I think they had a very interesting script and certainly Paul Greengrass is a great director, so I had some hope for the Paramount one. I hope Warner will be able to put something great around it."

Aquaman TV series: "Yeah, we did a TV pilot, but it didn't get picked up. I think a lot of it was that it was started for the WB, and in the combination of the WB and UPN this year a number of slots got dropped radically, so I think it got hard to get anything on that year." (Levitz added that it could get picked up later.)

Aquaman movie: "We've heard a couple of pitches about it in the last few years, but none of them have gotten a studio excited."

Other DC characters under development and announced:
    Flash with David Goyer writing
    Shazam with Pete Segal directing (New Line)
    Y the Last Man (New Line)
    The Exterminators (New Line)

Batman sequel: "It's going to be really good."

Read the entire article over at Superhero Hype

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wonder Woman :thumb , Flash :thumb , Shazam :thumb  Not too interested in the rest..

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Same... well actually not so interested in Wonder Woman...

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Where the crap is the awesome Green Lantern movie? It seems like a no brainer to make a Green Lantern movie with awesomeness all up in it.

On the topic of The Watchmen I would have liked to have seen how the vershion Terry Gilliam was going to do would have panned out. I wonder if that script ever got out.
    http://www.thegate.ca/interviews/t-gilliam.php

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

don't forget the superman returns sequal! *that is already in the works*

6. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Seconded. Green Lantern is meant for a Trilogy. And you don't even have to have the same guy play it. 3 main GL's, 3 movies. 40's piece with Alan Scott, 60's piece with Hal Jordan, and a 90's piece with Kyle Rayner. It's very generational.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    My idea for a GL trilogy has actually been more like this:

1st movie: Hal Jordan gets the ring, does stuff on Earth with Alan Scott as mentor. Some terrestrial villain like Hector Hammond.

2nd movie: Hal in space with the Corps. Sinestro as the villain.

3rd movie: Hal assembles an Earthbound Corps: John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, and Jennie Lynn Hayden. Rebirth's Parallax as the villain.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like that idea a lot, but I'd probably do '60s Hal Jordan, '70s John Stewart and '90s Kyle Rayner. Just because (a) Scott isn't 'technically' a real Green Lantern and (b) with his appearances in the Justice League cartoons, John Stewart probably has better recognition. I'd leave Parallax out of the whole thing, though; HEAT would lose it if Jordan went nuts again and the 'Rebirth' Yellow Space Demon was one of the dumber plots in recent DC history, IMO. I'd set up Sinestro as the main villain across all three movies:

- GL1 (1960s) - Hal gets the ring and is trained by Sinestro, backstory on the GL Corps. Sinestro goes rogue, Hal stops him, end of movie.
    - GL2 (1970s) - Sinestro returns to Earth and creates/teams with Star Sapphire. Jordan is off in space (or something) and the Guardians must induct John Stewart as the new GL to deal with the situation. Jordan returns for the final battle, but John scores the ultimate victory. This movie also features the first appearance of the Guardians and alien Green Lanterns.
    - GL3 (present) - Jordan has retired and John Stewart has moved up sufficiently in the Corps that he is rarely on Earth. Sinestro attacks Earth leading the Weaponeers of Qward the Guardians must initiate a new GL: Kyle Rayner. Although he holds his own, Rayner is overwhelmed until the arrival of Stewart leading a group of alien GLs. Hal Jordan cameo only. Sinestro conclusively defeated.

As for the other potential films:

Wonder Woman - I'm not a fan of Joss Whedon, but WW is the only member of the Big 3 not to have a new movie out. Hopefully it'll be done right.
    The Watchmen - I think Watchmen would work much better as a TV 'maxi-series' of twelve episodes (or so). There's too much going on and too many characters involved for it to effectively translate to a single movie, or even a trilogy.
    Aquaman - Why?
    Flash - Interesting, especially since X-Men 3 has shown that 'superspeed effects' have improved greatly.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    need a cameo with Ch'ip

10. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Well, I heard through the grapevine that they were lining up a GL movie with Jack Black a couple of years ago. Jack pitched it and had some people on board for the script when Knowles got wind of it and posted it all over the web. The fanboys got all up in arms as if the apocalypse was at hand. The producers got gunshy and quickly disavowed all knowledge of the project.
    The f'd up thing about it was everybody assumed it was a Black as Hal Jordan thing, when the real idea was to do a smartass JLI late 80's Lantern with Jack playing Guy Gardner being the new guy to the GLC. All the other GLs would have been written in, leaving open the possiblity for more 'serious' GL fare, ala Hal Jordan/Sinestro, etc.
    Of course, the 'net movie sites didn't bother checking any facts and just went ahead and ran the thing into the ground before it even took flight.
    Coulda been cool.

11. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    John Byrne claimed in a Wizard interview a few years back that he was asked to write a Green Lantern script for Eddie Murphy to star in back in the 80's (Byrne declined). I can't imagine that being any better than a Jack Black version, even if Murphy played it straight.

And the old Watchmen script is online, if you search for "watchmen 'sam hamm' script". It's kinda odd, they changed Veidt's plan from the comics. In this version, he creates a time machine to assassinate Dr. Manhattan before he got his powers. More or less, he gets what he wants, Dr. Manhattan never exists, and the film ends with Nite Owl, Rorschach, and Laurie being transported to "our" world, where they're known as comic book characters.

12. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

I thought I heard rumblings from awhile back about how Warner Bros. wanted to make a Green Lantern movie, but they wanted to change the main themes all around. I think it was suppose to be a comedy and star Jack Black or someone like him. As I recall, DC was dead set against the idea, but really couldn't veto the idea, as DC is owned by Warner (I think).

I can't substantiate this rumour, but I recall reading somewhere a few years back. :confused: 

13. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I just figured a throwback to the times of old for a superhero movie would be a nice twist to all the "modern takes". Alan Scott was one of the original heroes, and needs a spot in the limelight.

Movie 2 would basically adapt Emerald Dawn 1 and 2 and Emerald Twilight, set Hal up as a hero with severe personal problems. He would be a troubled hero who gained some confidence in upsetting his evil mentor, Sinestro. Upon his return to Earth, he's greeted by a smoking crater where his city once was, and begins his descent into...

Movie 3, where Hal tries to make things right again, correct his mistakes from the second film, and flies off the handle at the Guardians. He then second guesses himself, thinks that maybe, maybe Sinestro had things right. The GL's face their darkest night (Perhaps the subtitle?) and find solace in the torchbearer, Kyle Rayner, who perhaps in this universe, is a descendant of Alan Scott, the original, pre-GL Corps Green Lantern. Having the knowledge of his predecessor given to him via his ring, Kyle hunts down Hal with a small group of remaing GL's (notably, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kilowog, Salaak, Tomar-Re, Chaselon and Jack T Chance) to find Hal seeking advice from his old friend and fellow GL, Mogo. There, most of the remaining GL's are decimated in horrific fashion as they try to take Hal to the Sciencells on OA and it comes down to a last ditch effort between Kyle and Hal. Of course, Mongul, who destroyed Coast City is the real villain throughout all of this, and he will get his comeuppance at some point.

Perhaps I should write up some kind of pitch. Hal would end up as a hero, regardless of whether or not he meets his end in the third.

To put it bluntly, I've put a lot of thought into this, as I'd really like to see a series of GOOD Green Lantern movies.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If Jessica Alba isn't Wonder Woman then I won't be interested.

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

In all fairness, it was for the best that the movie was canned. On paper, your defense might be somewhat logical. In real life, if the Jack Black movie came out, the Green Lantern name would forever face an uphill battle in the movie industry. See: 60s hippie Batman and how some people STILL think Batman is some weird guy who disco-dances. (Trust me. Look at my sig).

Even if Hal/Jon/Alan are in the Jack Black Green Lantern movie, it just wouldn't have the seriousness/credibility for another GL film.

After all, does it look likely for another Catwoman movie anytime soon? THAT'S what happens when ONE movie comes out and gives a cool franchise a bad name.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd prefer a GL tv series. One that was well animated and written. They could have it set up as the Gl corps and have all your favorite lanterns in it.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The hell? She'd make a piss poor Wonder Woman. She barely passed for the Invisible Girl :mad 

19. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I think Wonder Woman, like Superman before her, would benefit an unknown or little known actress. I can think of no obvious choices here. Character is too much of an icon that I'd hate for some lousy FHM pine-up to be cast. Alba, Jessica Beil, no one rumoured would bring any class to the role. Need someone pure who hasn't won any fuckability polls in Maxim.

Flash I'm going to go with Ryan Reynolds as Wally West, and I've had this crazy idea of wanting Jamie Foxx for a John Stewart Green Lantern for a while.

that said, lets hope that Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and others get into production soon. I want a goddamn Justice Leage movie. It would be best if they went for the animated series line-up. Claire Danes or Scarlette Johansson Hawkgirl?

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Watchmen movie decreases my chances of ever seeing a Question movie :(