Unwanted Visitors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I had two visits in a single day from strangers. You know the kind. Magazine subscription salesmen, representatives of various religious sects, college kids trying to sell sets of books so they can have their semester in Rome.

My question is, how do you deal with this? I don't know anybody who actually sits around hoping for a total stranger to knock on their door and interrupt their life, attempting to sell them something they had no particular interest in.

I have a difficult time being outright rude to people, but it seems like you all but have to in order to get rid of some of these people. Any humorous or clever ways of dealing with this?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

When you're talking to them, look slightly above their head the entire time.. do not look eye to eye like a normal human conversation. They'll be confused as hell.

..unless you don't have the time for shenanigans & tomfoolery like I do.

3. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

When I was in my first year of school in NY, I lived in a School Housing bit, not a dorm, but just a house where students all lived and commuted to school etc--We had this guy down the hall from Denmark named Jonas. When ever the Jehovah Witness would come knocking, we'd just send them back to him--Any sales person for that matter, would just get sent to Jonas. He could never figure it out, and they didn't get him..But some how one weekend a couple of the Witnesses came over and did our gutters.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I simply don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. We get a lot of door-to-door charities and kids selling candy bars in our neighborhood, I learned to ignore the doorbell long ago.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    unless it Halloween, we don't get many people going door to door, usually its the religious sorts.

6. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I just bluntly say I'm not interested rigt off the bat. If they're persistent, I repeat. I used to be nice about it and somewhat hear them out but there's really no point.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'll say I'm not interested. If they persist I'll get less polite very quickly. I'm big and scary and you don't want me leaning towards you telling you where to shove your clipboard or whatever. Also my dog barks like crazy whenever anyone comes to my house. She's a big softy but it's useful to tell anyone bugging me that I've got an angry dog here I could let them play with if they don't get off my property.
    Cold calling doorsteppers are like junkmail I have to get to leave by themselves rather than just being allowed to throw them in the trash.

8. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I don't know you, I don't open the door.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Get a super-soaker from Toys R Us.

10. Primez

Primez Banned

I get them all the timeat the office here. The last lady that was here tried to sell me makeup. WTF. I don't wear makeup. And the wife sure as hell isn't going to be using some random stuff lol. She kept insisting on me giving her $20. I told her I don't have the cash and I would be more than happy to work it out in the back of the office. She was out of there in 2 secs. LoL

11. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I've found that snakes work just as well (if not better) than an aggressively barking dog. I grab one of mine and let him/her sit on my shoulders if I should have to answer the door for any reason. People I know already know my snakes so it's not an issue. Cops don't care and package delivery folks are just there to deliver. Salespeople and religious folks, however, always make a hasty retreat with no argument.

12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

ah the religion folks. i just tell them that im catholic but i did scare the crap out of this old couple when i just shouted ALL HAIL CTHULHUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!! and i slammed the door yelling my head off. about 10 minutes later i opened the door on my porch was a wooded cross and note saying that they'll be praying for my salvation. :) 

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I only open the door to a woman with a sandwich in one hand and a beer in the other.

14. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Just answer the door naked...its your place, you can't get arrested for that....

15. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

We've had Jehovah's witnesses come to our apartment before. We lived out in the middle of nowhere outside of town, so I suspect the old lady who lived behind us who was always trying to talk our ears off about stuff we didn't care about sent them, as she was a Jehovah's witness herself we found out later. I interrupted their spiel right away and told them we had our own spiritual beliefs and we weren't interested. That did the trick. Later the old lady behind us gave us some Jehovah's witness literature that was basically written for 5 year olds. "You can be God's friend!"

When I was younger my mom would turn off the lights if any were on, close the curtains and blinds, and we would all keep our heads low and would ignore them ringing the doorbell.:lol 

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Little kids selling something: check it out and buy a little something if I can.

Religious types: 'Thanks, I already have (accepted Jesus/am Christian) but walk my own path. Bye!' *cheerily wave and shut the door*

Everyone else: 'No thanks!' *shut door*

--Moony

17. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

How nice. I just listen to what they have to say and be polite with my response. No point in being a tool to people just trying to make money or spread their faith.

Chuck

18. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

No point in wasting my time, or theirs for that matter.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

"We know your in there Bundy! We saw the lights on!"

An episode from Married With Children....................sorry, I couldn't resist! :D 

20. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

I only open the door for the mailman, friends and family.
    When the religious people knock on my front door I tell them to get lost at once, and that goes for every other stranger too.