Unused Vintage Stickers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Galva-Cannon, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Hey, to all the G1 collectors who actually open their stuff to display, I'd like to ask your experience with sticker sheets that are 20+ years old. Do they generally keep their adhesive qualities, so that can still be applied in 2010, or will they generally have lost their stickiness and peel off?

I've heard some people say they add extra glue to make sure stickers stay on?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Personally I'd go for a set from Reprolabels over using the originals every time if they make them for that particular toy. I remember getting an unused Star Saber, and not wanting to risk the stickers peeling. I've had bad experiences with that and a couple of old GI Joe toys, and since they were made by Hasbro as well I thought it'd be a better idea to use repros.

3. Galva-Cannon

Hmm, I don't think anybody does repros for anything from 1992, that's the problem. I decided not to apply the stickers on most of those toys, because the factory labels look good enough on their own. But Skyquake looks really bare without any stickers, because he doesn't even have any factory ones.

So did you apply the original stickers to your Star Saber in the end? And what happened with your Joes? Just curious what you meant by bad experiences. Thanks for the reply. :) 

4. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I bought an early '90's chinese reissue Nightbeat last year and applied the stickers successfully. So far no peeling or anything to speak of. I guess that isn't quite as long ago as G1, but I'm sure there are a few other variables besides time including the heat/humidity the box was subject to and for how long, etc. To be safe, just use reprolabels, but I didn't have any problems personally...

5. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I have some vintage sheets and the glue still seems fine. However, I think that your mileage may vary depending on storage conditions, as temperature and moisture have tremendous effects on adhesive quality. I have mint sheets for Smokescreen, Soundwave, and Silverbolt where the glue's just fine but a partially intact one for Rodimus Prime where the adhesive dried up, turned brown, and the silver foil literally slid off the plastic backing. It's just like those little warning booklets that come with videocassettes used to say about the labels that came with them: environment is key. :) 

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'd be interested in what kind of glue people use.
    You recall?

7. Galva-Cannon

No I don't know, I'm sorry. I just vaguely remember seeing somebody saying they did that in a post here.

I'm not gonna try it, because I have no idea what effect (if any) it might have on the plastic, or even the sticker itself.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never had to apply a sticker sheet that was 20+ years old. However, I do use Reprolabels to give some of my G1 Bots updates. Wheeljack has eyes, Fortress Maximus now has blue eyes, Ipod Convoy now really looks like Optimus Prime, etc.

I use Elmer's Glue All. It dries clear and doesn't hurt the plastic. Labels don't fall off again after you use it either. I apply it very gently with a tooth pick or a straightened paper clip.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I got a complete G1 Hardhead, Triggerhappy and Quickswitch from a car boot sale last year and none of them had the stickers applied which were still intact on the sheets (which were included). I've ummed and ahhed for ages if I should go ahead and apply them but I'll probably go for Reprolabels eventually and keep the vintage sheets intact. It would suck to use the original stickers only to find they've lost their gummy power and still have to buy Reprolabels anyway.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You could contact Reprolabels and find out if they'd be interested in doing a set from your stickers. they might be able to do it from just a high res scan.
    I didn't use the original Star Saber stickers, no; I went with Reprolabels and the figure looks superb. As for the Joes: I picked up a MISB early 90s Starfighter at Botcon in 08; when I came to apply the stickers they stayed on for about an hour before they started to peel. The slightest curved surface and they just will not stay on place. A lot of old sheets seem to go really "gummy" as well; I have this with a GI Joe Equalizer I recently picked up unbuilt. the stickers would be fine, but the adhesive appears to have become sticky in all the wrong ways, and somewhat... well not fluid, but it doesn't stay where it should. the stickers would basically slide around on the toy if I applied them.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Thanks man