Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by darkunor, Jun 13, 2012.

1. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Well there's one in the TF general discussion thread so I thought I might as well start one here. Here we go;

1. I still think SF3 and all it's incarnations suck, don't get me wrong I enjoy watching high level Japanese SF3 and if it wasn't for this game we wouldn't have had this- probably the most incredible moment in fighting game history;

Street Fighter: The Beast Is Unleashed - YouTube

Damn, that video never gets old, it makes the hair on my back stand! But like I was saying you couldn't pay me enough to shit on this game let alone play it, it never was and it never will be streetfighter to me. What even sickens me more is the elitist attitude in the fighting game community along the lines of; "if you don't enjoy playing this game you can't be a true SF fan". Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. I think the Super Mario Bros Games barring the spin-offs eg Mario Kart and Tennis turned to shit after Super Mario Bros 3 on the nes. It was never the same for me once it went 3D, I know it wasn't meant to be either but something about it just got lost in translation!

3. I prefer Streets Of Rage 2 to it's predecessor, I know the first one got the ball rolling and all but no!

4. Despite the WFC and FOC aesthetic being the only designs I like outside G1 I think both games suck, they may be the best TF games ever but they seem like gimmicky eye-candy that doesn't seem to capture the essence of transformers the way the AA and AC does to Batman! I can't see why I'd want to play these games with the likes of COD or Gears of War hovering about and I dont even think they're great games! How they gets so much love in the fandom baffles me!

5. Windwaker was, is and will always be an epic Zelda game despite the hate it gets for the cel-shaded graphics that I have no problem with whatsoever! Its still retained every thing that made and makes Zelda the legendary game it is!

2. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

I think Resident Evil is a terrible franchise, and I just don't find it fun at all.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO-

FF8 is one of my favorite games

God of War is really not all that great and doesn't have the fun of Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4, and I hate QTE's, which it thrives off of

Uncharted is a really fun action movie, not really a great playing game though

I like Kingdom Hearts, but after 2 none of it was worth playing

Music is actually really important to games, at least in the puzzle, RPG, action and adventure genres

$60 is a fair price for most console/PC releases

Nintendo has never failed with the Mario series as long as they are the ones making it, and for that I will probably get all of their systems

4. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy 8 is better than Final Fantasy 7 and every other Final Fantasy to come after it.

I hate Halo.

5. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

The Love for FF8 makes me happy. You both make me so proud.

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Along with pretty much every modern FPS.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like the gimmicky crap Nintendo is doing with their newer consoles. The only Wii games I like are the ones where I can use a Gamecube controller. And the only Nintendo franchises I really like are Smash Bros, Mario, and Pokemon. And the last one is mostly Gamefreak stuff rather than Nintendo.

Also, the designs for most of the WFC and FOC characters are horrible. They usually just look like the G1 designs but stupidly puffed out and fat with TRON lines slapped on. I never care for Cybertronian alt modes either, but that can't be helped given the setting of the game.

8. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is my favorite of the three Prime games.

and I think that's actually all I've got. I'll see if I can come up with more.

EDIT: And immediately thought of another one: I didn't think Other M was that bad. Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of things that I would change about it (mostly pertaining to the cutscenes), but I loved the gameplay mechanic that Team Ninja came up with, and any game that references Fusion in any way deserves at least some praise.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Do not like COD. It is beyond ridiculous now..............

Never cared for Resident Evil's combat style. "There's a bunch of zombies attacking me...so let me walk like a snail to get away from them"

And Sides would probably hate me for saying so.....but the Madden franchise is about as fresh as last year's donuts.

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    the COD series and its numerous iterations of the exact same game over and over again

Gears Of War series theres nothing special about em, just another terrible 3rd person shooter

resident evil series

and alot of tom clancy games

and of course the need for speed franchise, anything after underground 2 is pure shit. undercover has been the only one ive liked in recent years

11. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Didn't we already have one of these before? http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/560650-unpopular-gaming-opinions.html

But, since that one got buried in time, might as well repost what I said there:

Now with a few new ones.

-God of War is repetitive as hell.
    -Nintendo should really stop with the motion control crap and get back to making games for the real target audience: the gamers, not the elderly from the retirement home, or those rich yuppie bastards down the street.
    -Bringing actual games to mobile devices like smartphones and tablets is a stupid idea.
    -Grand Theft Auto IV will never be as good as Grand Theft Auto III.
    -Grand Theft Auto II sucked.
    -I actually enjoy Mega Man 7, how is it that people don't like this game?
    -Perfect Dark wasn't as good as GoldenEye 007.
    -I dislike the PS1/PS2/PS3 controller.
    -The Metal Gear Solid series is overrated.
    -I'm not a big fan of Indie games, though I respect them for bringing in new and unique concepts to video games.
    -I like both PC games and console games.
    -Team Fortress 2 is starting to get boring for me.
    -The only fighting game I actually give a damn about is Super Smash Bros, maybe Soul Calibur if they ever get it back to what it was like in II. Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, and the rest I don't like.
    -Sports games are a waste of money and resources. If you like playing a video game based on the sport, here's an idea: play the damn sport! Otherwise, quit laying down your money for the next Madden game that brings nothing new to the table other than updated rosters.
    -The PS2 was the last good console Sony made.
    -Bungie should have stopped after Halo 3.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

-The Xbox 360 console is utter shit, and Microsoft is a plague on modern gaming. Microsoft is just awful. A crappy pay-to-use online. Almost no notable first-party developed games. They started with modern 'micropayments' and DLC.

-Also related, Xbox Live is a scam. Paying a tax for online play is absurd. I really dont believe that any game I have played on XBL were hosted on dedicated servers. I really do not understand how people can justify paying for something that is free on literally every other platform. Oh yeah, you're also literally paying for ads.

-Oblivion has a better and more interesting world than Skyrim. Oblivion was bright and varied. Skyrim really just feels like it is shades of brown and grey. Wandering around the world is almost completely uninteresting to me.

-MGS: The Twin Snakes is better than the original. I don't care about altered cutscenes, and the first person view makes the game much more playable.

-Shadow of the Colossus is an interesting game, but it is borderline unplayable. Really, the framerate is horrid, and the controls are all over the place. I really cannot believe that I was able to finish this game.

-Eastern Europe needs to be the new creative hotspot for video games. Japan has mostly been lackluster since the end of the PS2 years, and "western" developers are all too often extremely bland, and turn every game into an action shooter. Meanwhile, the eastern bloc have had some amazing standouts such as Metro 2033, STALKER, The Witcher 2, and Cryostasis.

-Nintendo is like the current President, they could shit pure gold and hand deliver it to people, and half the population will blindly hate them anyway. The best example of this in game journalism were the E3 2011 observations that "Xbox 360 and PS3 games looked worse than Xbox 360 and PS3 games" after Nintendo showed third party footage at their conference. Also recently, the cries that Nintendo release a "regular" controller even after making the Wii U function the same as a regular controller.

-Team Fortress 2 has turned into a mess of a game. It used to be simple and balanced in the good ol days. Now everyone wants to trade me for my earbuds, nothing is balanced, and there are too many different weapon types.

-Call of Duty 1 was the best Call of Duty, and after CoD2, its been garbage. Never even played 3, but I hated what I played of 4 and onward. It was like an obnoxious action movie with dull and uninspired gameplay. It has not improved since.

-I very much enjoyed Lair. I beat the game with Sixaxis only, and it was fun. It only got hate from game reviewers because it was a Playstation 3 exclusive that was trying to do something with motion controls. Related to this, for the first several years it was released, game media were unfairly biased against the Playstaton 3 in favor of the Xbox 360. I am not going to dig up old articles, but I remember the system get a lot of unwarranted flack. But whatever, I was enjoying my PS3 at the time.

-Gaming clans and groups are almost always horrible. Ive been around the type too much in the past. It often attracts a critical mass of nerds and/or loosers who will turn the group into a social cesspool. They get bonus shit points for being both misogynistic and white-knights at the same time.

I am sure I have more, maybe I will post them later.

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

-Vanquish is one of the only games that got the outright testosterone approach down.
    -WFC was boring, FOC looks to be the same.
    -It's good that Mirror's Edge didn't get a sequel. I adore it to bits, and I think it functions cohesively.
    -Bethesda has yet to make a game that doesn't feel like a chore.
    -A game with a short campaign and endless post-story gameplay always fails to be engaging.
    -Spiderman games are far more fun than Batman games.
    -It's always more fun to play on an easy difficulty setting.
    -Red Steel 2 had far more fun swordplay than Skyward Sword.

Words to live by.

14. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 All hail Duke.

I can't stand Kingdom Hearts

Final Fantasy stopped being good at FFIX

Tetsuya Noruma is a shitty artist

Konami sucks now.

Skyrim is overrated and boring. Arrow to the Knee is one of the most annoying memes ever

Vanquish is better than Gears of War in every conceivable aspect.

Microsoft sucks. Especially their first party franchises.

Sports games are boring

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is worth the $40 I paid for

Metroid on the NES has aged very poorly

A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time

Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess

The N64 controller is crap

Every Soul Calibur game after Soul Calibur II sucked balls

Resident Evil is overrated

Bioware hasn't made a good game since Dragon Age: Origins

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is worthy of the Castlevania name

Dead Rising has aged as well as Jake Lloyd. The controls are terrible, the AI is retarded as hell and Otis is the most annoying sidekick ever, he makes Navi, Ashley Graham and Fi look tolerable

Mega Man 7 is one of the best classic Mega Man games

Sonic, Kirby, Mega Man, and Ratchet & Clank are better than Mario

Call of Duty is horrible and it's one of the biggest cancers killing gaming

The Japanese game industry has gone downhill and I feel that Nintendo, Atlus, Platinum Games, Grasshopper Interactive, and Sega are the only good Japanese companies right now.

The 8th Console Generation, so far, is a joke. And the 7th Console Generation is piss-poor at best.

15. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, another one that I forgot: I absolutely adore Mega Man 7. In fact, it's one of my top 5 favorite games in the series, along with 3, 6, 9, and 10.

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Haven't we had this thread like 5 times within the last month?

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't Recall.

BA-DUM-CHING!

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I HATE Kingdom Hearts.

I've never played it, but what I've seen of the story and concept are just so fucking obnoxious to me.

What's worse, is that my sister is completely batshit insane over these games. She has to have whatever console the new shitty cash-grab is exclusive to, the latter of which she plows through in under a week. That console is pretty much worthless to her afterwards. I've tried reasoning with her, but she's too damn stupid to listen.

It also doesn't help that the games have turned her into a complete Disney whore.

I'd also like to say that I prefer Megaman X8 to X4, and Super Mario Bros. 2(the rebranded game) SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I think 90% of the gaming community thinks that. It seems to me it's just kids and parents that eat that stuff up, and I think even they are starting to get sick of it too.

19. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    shit, i loved kingdom hearts when i was eleven but now it's just a terrible game and seemed like a chore to play.

the newer pokemon games are actually pretty good. most of the complaining
    comes from nostalgiafags that find the less desirable designs and pick on those. black and white are great games.

also, is wind waker being a good game really an unpopular opinion? i thought most people loved it.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I don't mind refining my ramblings.