Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 toy only guy

I feel this is something that needs to be addressed. I've brought it up a few times, but I feel it's still worth asking:

What made the AOE Generations line so bad? Why's it remembered as the worst toy-line in the movies?

How many toys could you consider actually bad? The only one I know of that everyone generally had the same negative feelings on was Lockdown, First Edition Optimus Prime, and Leader Grimlock. Everyone else was generally mixed to positive. Okay, there's three bad toys. What about the good toys? Well, Evasion Optimus Prime, Hound, Drift, New Bumblebee, Scorn, and Slug are all considered pretty darn good, while the rest are very much in the middle as far as reception goes.

I guess I don't know how an entire line can be deemed awful, quality wise, when there were only three bad toys. If that's the case, then Combiner Wars and Titans Return must be pretty poor lines, as well.

Is it the lack of Decepticons? Perhaps? But that doesn't necessarily mean the figures themselves are bad, just that the line wasn't terribly diverse. It's a shame we didn't get Stinger in the U.S. as a Gen figure, but that doesn't mean that makes Evasion Optimus Prime or Drift worse toys.

If anything I thought DOTM had the most dull line. And that was even with those magical $5 deluxes.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie NYEH HEH HEH

I agree with this opinion. I liked everyone of the figures I got from that line. I got everything besides the leaders actually. Yes I would have preferred the Dinobots to be movie accurate color wise but I still thought they were great. People really just like complaining about movie toys to be honest. This is coming from someone who likes every generation of transformers despite their flaws.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought Deluxe Lockdown was alright... could have been nicer (as the OSKO proved) but he was by no means a bad toy. A bit like Evasion Optimus, who I thought was a good toy, but the OSKO showed us how much better he could have been.

I think one of the things that really hurt it was the fact that the normal deluxes/voyagers were crammed into Generations, and because a lot of retailers didn't stock Generations they were only really distributed in TRU's? IIRC? And also the packaging being nigh on identical to some of the mainline AoE releases (Power Battlers) made things really confusing.

4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

Thank you! I feel like one of the few defending AOE. In my opinion the movie lines just got better and better... Yes I find DOTM, AOE, AND Last Knight to be better then ROTF come at me bro. I wouldn't call Lockdown weak though. He is pretty fun and I LOVE his gunface.

5. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    For me, the reason I feel AOE was the worst movie toyline is:

A. A good bulk of figures were shell-formers (not really the toy designer's fault, but more because of the stupid "kibbleless robot" look)

B. Many figures consisted of a good parts rubber, like rubber-rubber, not the strong rubber used in Seeker nosecones.

C. Being stingy with paint apps, most of the figures have bare bones paint-apps and looked very mono-chromatic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

That rubber nonsense totally killed the AOE Sludge (or whatever he's called). I couldn't and wouldn't transform him because he was a complete mess

• Like Like x 3
  7. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 toy only guy

That reminds me of another unpopular opinion: I love the way AOE Galvatron transforms. The fact they pulled off that look with such little kibble showing is quite the feat of engineering.

Though that makes me question: Is being a shellformer a bad thing? Generations Arcee is fairly beloved, but she's a shellformer. Heck, Generations Springer, as beloved as he is, does have a fair amount of alt mode kibble on his back.

Slog? Ehhh, I like him because he's such a weird, unique transformation.

Also, everyone complains about how simplified TFs got, but look how many steps it takes to complete him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Arcee at least incorporates some of the car into her body, like the center of the hood and rear fenders. Gavlatron just chucks the whole truck onto his back and shins, not to mention his minimal paint apps. Only the center strip of car ends up on Springer's back, the rest is incorporated. Compared to ROTF or even DoTM, AOE was a half-arsed attempted at a toyline, IMO. And it doesn't look like TLK will be any better.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 toy only guy

I mean, that's one little bit on the chest and then the rest of her car forms some kind of TMNT shell. Galvatron's at least compresses against his back so he won't end up like an over-turned beetle with his arms flailing about as he tries to stand back up. Not to mention the trailer hitch on Galvatron forms his feet :p 

I mean, eye of the beholder and all that. Sure a lot of fans'll be scratching their heads at why the heck EVERYONE's head comes off and becomes a little robot. That's just messed up :p 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Yup, opinions are opinions. :thumbs2: 

Speaking of removable heads... I really don't mind non-headmasters having headmasters. Its not like the whole figure is ruined by the gimmick or anything.

• Like Like x 6
  11. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

The movie lines I've found to be generally alright if you're into the aesthetic. Maybe it was a lack of good non-movie toys in the line? You had a couple of Dinobots that didn't appear in the movie, and... that's pretty much it. And even then they weren't spectacular. I've often found that some of the most interesting movie toys are those of characters that didn't actually appear in the movie. The designers tend to have a lot more freedom.
    Springer doesn't have that much hanging off his back, at least not that much more than a typical carformer. (Sandstorm's another story despite sharing the base mold) Didn't really care for the look of Generations Arcee. MMC Azalea is my Arcee.

Though probably my favorite shellformer to date is the Prime Vehicon, what with the entire top of the car folding away into the lower legs in just a few flips. TLK Voyager Optimus pulls the look off better than the AOE Leader, though it's still not a look I'm personally into.

12. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 toy only guy

I don't really mind that much, either, but I reckon I can see why people don't like it.

I wish we'd kinda get more individual titanmasters. Even without vehicles. Like, that Takara set's a step in the right direction, but I already have a lot of those and I don't think the price'd be worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I'd explore the individual Titan Masters, but I don't see how they're worth the like $8 CAD plus tax it'd cost to pick any of them up. Granted, I've not seen Shuffler at retail and he might be worth it. Some of my favorites in this line have been the ones that weren't originally Headmasters, and I'm looking forward to getting a hold of Blitzwing and Octane. Also Legends Brawn.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mAk

mAk Well-Known Member

I love the Titans Return line but don't get the love for base modes or TR Megatron.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  15. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I tend to dislike the color choices for Takara Tomy's figures. I'm not really sure why, I feel like it's unfair. But for some reason I've always preferred the Hasbro color schemes more.

• Like Like x 2
  16. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Galvatron (G1)

I like the beast hunters toys

• Like Like x 4
  17. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    ROTF wasn't the best movie line, HFTD IS it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 That guy that did that thing.

Not sure how unpopular this is, but TLK barricade isn't worse about shell forming than most other carformers. From what I can see, it's just his roof that hangs off without becoming anything.

19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

We can ask TR Galvatron about that :D 

Me 2 in general.

• Like Like x 3
  20. smf2045

smf2045 Autobot Air Guardian

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Last Knight toyline and movie do not interest me in the least. I almost got TLK Barricade, but decided against it because my collection is mostly all CHUG. I'd like a CHUG-styled Barricade very much, but this figure wasn't it from the looks. Not cool with the bug-like face.

• Like Like x 2