Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I think that's most of us.

2. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Uh...it was quite obvious what most G1 toys transformed into, and even in the simplified animation models of the original cartoon, you could usually still tell what a character transformed into. That is not the case with these post AOE designs, were almost no vehicle kibble is visible. And the result was very simplistic and shellformer-y toys (not counting 3rd party figures). And its in my opinion that this was a poor design choice, as a figure that just chucks 90% of the vehicle onto panels haphazardly placed around them suffers both aesthetically and is hindered in posability.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I think the major problem from AOE, awas the decision for the toyline's direction, what they needed to make was to refine the earlier designs, making smooth's verions of them, and a good ones, not changing the entire movie designs, wich they were impossible to transform, and more in a line wich objective was to make the transformers even more simplistic, a total crappy decision.

4. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    That i agree with. What i liked about the older movie toys were that they were fun and complex to transform, it felt satisfying to transform ROTF Leader Optimus. That's why i absolutely hated the AOE toys, they were too simplistic, and didn't have nearly the same level of quality that previous movie toys did, heck even the downsized DOTM toys were better. IMO the best movie toys were from ROTF and the HFTD lines.

• Like Like x 3
  5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm not angry that CW Liokaiser has a repainted with a retooled head Sky Lynx torso. I admit that there's something about having a Gryphon like Decepticon character appeals to me and the colors look good on him. I know why people detest him but I see the set as Hasbro's way of testing the waters for bringing in more Japanese characters into the mainstream line cause well Liokaiser isn't well known here as he is in Japan.

As cool as TR Blitzwing is the reason I'm not replacing my T30 Blitzwing with him is because T30 Blitzwing has an Animated homage. It's a silly reason I know but still I have more connections with TFA Blitzwing then with G1 Blitzwing.

While I like complicated transformations it doesn't always make a figure better for it. Look at Universe Ironhide and Ratchet for example.

This last one is a big one. I honestly don't give a flying petrorabbit about if a figure has hallow things on it or not because truth be told I don't see a reason to get worked up about it just as long as it's not a major problem. Not to mention while some of the older figures have more heft to them they're also bricks most of the time especially Armada so if I have to choose between figures that are hallow but have good articulation and looks and a figure that's more solid but is literally a brick and can't function as an action figure then I have to go with the former.

• Like Like x 4
  6. valisihaud

valisihaud No rest for the delirious

How are most of them bricks? The post-armada era is rather hit or miss when it comes to aging well, but they still are above the level of "bricks". Hell the current crop of figures has yet to even reach the level articulation of most universe 2.0-RTS figures, where the lines were abound with wrist swivels and ankle tilts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Maybe brick isn't the right word for it. What I mean to say was that a lot of the Armada and certain Energon toys had their articulation extremely limited by how the gimmick was incorporated to the point where we have guys like Armada Sideswipe's entire body be literally a living gimmick and that's it. Which when you think about it is extremely bad compared to both the Beast Era and original RID/Car robots line had going which had a good amount of articulation. The levels of articulation with today's figures and some past lines like RTS and Universe isn't that much different since even in the older lines we've had figures that didn't even have wrist swivels and/or ankle tilts either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. valisihaud

valisihaud No rest for the delirious

That really only applies to the Unicron trilogy. From classics onwards gimmicks were less prevalent and intrusive.
    Not saying there weren't figures without them, but ankle tilts and wrist swivels have become increasingly rarer, as they are the first to get sacrificed in the name of cost cutting and pointless line wide gimmicks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I just realized that Broadside is my favorite toy of 2017.

And based on the "best toy of 2017" thread, "Triggerhappy came out in 2016" is apparently an unpopular opinion (even if it's, you know, an objective fact).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I find G1 Soundwave to be superior to every other Soundwave ever released and in my eyes fits in with my CHUG collection

• Like Like x 3
  11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

You know, until MP Soundwave, I was in the same boat. No Soundwave ever topped G1 Soundwave, at best they were superior in some ways, inferior in others. Though I go love both WFC and FOC Soundwave.

12. ToaArcan

ToaArcan Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the majority of people approach that as "the best toys they persoally bought" that year. Hence my persoal list having a couple of T30 figures on it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

I can really respect the Broadside thing.
    I like mine, he is a good bot, good colors there is SO Much you can do with him with the Titan Master... which reminds me with his colors I need to get him out and play with him with the Prime masters this weekend some time. The Sticker ( which I like but shhhhhh) are such a fan lynch mob situation and I can sort of see the b itching with the jet mode,.... but these toys are about imagination and when I play with Broadside I usually, like I said use him with Titan Masters, I have them, legion class figures interact with him as if he is this giant space/ atmospheric transport with a variable mode so he will change around from the stock 3rd mode to the various fan modes ( supposedly to 'correct' the jet mode) and just have a LOT of fun with him. Also he came alonmg when I'm getting back into Transformers and is one of my VERY few "big" as in Voyager or up Autobots so he ends up crucial in my collection and stories. I almost never play with Fort Max without adding him to is in carrier mode and having Ptero, nightbeats jet modes, loudmouths lil air car, and legion scale flyers based off of him. so...

Yeah
    Yay Broadside.

I say this all the time but if I could get my hands on a Tidalwave...I already fudge stories so I can use Broadside with my Legion Seekers ( try it sometime if you have one of them its PERFECT) in carrier mode.... but if I could have an ACTUAL Decepticon aircraft carrier for those figures DUUUUUUDE. it would RULE!

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Music label Soundwave is very cool too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

One of the best Soundwave toys ever.

• Like Like x 2
  16. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Those Perfect effects hand and foot sets are a complete waste of money ( for me anyway) the CW/ POTP HFGs are the way the toys were meant to be, compatible across lines going backward and forward to anything with a 5mm post or port, work fine on the combiner sculpts. Those PE kits are so expensive that they take opportunity cost up that could provide us with entirely new character instead of slightly prettier shoes for gestalts.

I have never for a slept second considered a set and I have combiner fever

• Like Like x 1
  17. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I think Toyworld Crank looks cool and I want it

18. jru42287

jru42287 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    See, I'm the opposite. I think the stock hands and feet (well, the feet at the very least) look awful. I only have one combiner, Bruticus, and I think the set makes him look great.

• Like Like x 1
  19. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

They look like clown shoes. Every single one of them.

But yes, some people like those.

20. jru42287

jru42287 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I think the stock ones look like they have no feet.