Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Cutest Avatar on TFW

Unpainted rims don't bother me. I almost always get black rims on my cars in video games, and I've seen it IRL, so... it doesn't really look that odd. Sometimes it looks odder if it does have painted rims. Why would the police invest in flashy silver rims?

• Like Like x 10
  2. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

I put raw-ish magnesium with a light clear coat on one of my real cars back in like 2003 a little before dark wheels became a sort of fad. Did it for weight and performance mostly but it was a Torch red car that I keep SUPER clean so I thought it would be cool and people would "get" what I was going for. Nope. Almost everyone thought it looked bad, hell a few people thought it was brake dust caked on them that I hadn't washed. fast forward 5 or so years and EVERYTHING fast either has it standard or as an option to the point I now to get like... chrome or something just to NOT look like I'm herding in with that crowd.

I also like the CW HFGs a LOT more than the POTP hands at least ( don't have a Voyager yet) as it drives me nuts when mixing and matching limbs that I have to borrow a CW HFG if I want to make any of the POTP limbs into legs, or end up short on feet some way. It limits what combiner combos I can make up especially if I try and keep each persons original hfg with them. My only real issue with the HFGs at all is that sometimes they don't work out a way to stow them in vehicle mode or bot mode... which POTP does seem to be getting more right than CW did so far at least. CW Wheeljack/ Sunstreaker or POTP Dreadwind is the correct way to handle it... those make good use of the HFG in all modes. On guys that don't have a cool looking way to incorporate that part in bot mode should at least have some way to use it as a weapon... the tend to look a LITTLE better underslung than as pistol grip style double barrel weapons. I really like how Dreadwind can stow it on his back sort of hiding it or you can flip it down and make sort of a play handle for him. Slug and Swoop both have a couple of good ways to use them as bots, they can both wear it like a papoose, Slug majes a good backpack, Swoops both fall off a little to easily though. Even though I like the CW HFGs better for being able to be either feet or hands, people like Prowl / streetwise do not have a good car mode spot for them ( they look a little silly as floating turrets up over the cabin) and Iron hide and trailbreaker use them great in alt mode but ( other than the comedic "fat claw" you can do with TBs right hand with the gun barrel on it) no good way to use them in bot mode, the CW HFGs almost never work as bracers/ arm armor although some guys can finagle them into sort of a shield... So good all around solutions exist they just haven't sort of put then all together on one package that can work on the combiner as either appendage, look good and make sense in Alt mode AND make for a cool accessory as a bot... it seems to be pick two of three situation.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

• Like Like x 1
  4. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    That is why I ended up getting the TR version and repro'ing him. I couldn't abide with how he looked in alt mode with the way that they painted his hands.

IMG_20171115_31293.jpg

I think that the repros make him look acceptable. .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I really didn't like most of the Armada or Energon toys...except maybe Unicron. The rest of them looked like the Fisher-Price toy designers got turned loose in the TF department for a couple years...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

Most of the pre-1986 Movie toys are pretty bad, honestly.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    I agree, the UT didn't really get good until Cybertron. Armada was bogged down by some of the most intrusive gimmicks in TF history, and Energon's "Powerlinx" gimmick resulted in weirdly proportioned deluxes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

I think that the human figures that come with Masterpiece figures look rather "melty" from all the sloppy paint and soft details.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I liked the scouts.

10. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Even if some people dislike the transformers having minimal vehicle kibble on the robots, some of the toys trying to replicate it are just way, way, way, more impressive and interesting.
    (take dinobot masterpiece as example) downloadfile-1.png

• Like Like x 3
  11. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Charles Stiles, Mystery Diners

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I need to agree with this. As much as I hate the post-DOTM " Sleek Humanoid look with no kibble" look of the Bayverse characters (And to a lesser extend, most of TF: Prime designs), some of the toys that was able to pull these like of looks successfully was actually impressive in terms of engineering and design like. I'll take Unique Toys Peru Kill as an example, in which a Leader-class sized humanoid robot of Lockdown can transforms into a (Almost) MP-sized Lamborghini car; that's pretty cool if you ask me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  12. SPAMSUNG

SPAMSUNG Well-Known Member

Took him out with me on a picnic with the gf! Screenshot_20180104-013601.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Doesn’t help that they are so tiny that their faces are little more than blobs of flesh.

PS: I like your username.

Looking at this reminds me why I hate this design choice. While it works are a generic knight action figure design, it does not work as a Transformer (or Optimus) design. If you had no knowledge of Transformers, would you be able to look at this and go “yup, this thing totally turns into a truck.”? As ugly as some of the earlier movie designs were, at least you could tell that they transformed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

• Like Like x 1
  15. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

I know that paint is costly and we should not expect a high level of paint on mass-produced figures, but come on! At least the sculpt should be decent since molding technology has improved significantly ever since 1984. For comparison here are some 1/48 scale Tamiya figures (they have wrinkles on their clothes, take that Spike!):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  16. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Your welcome!

17. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
  18. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Who do you think you are kidding mister Hitler if you think old Engeland's down?
    We are the boys who will stop your little game.

19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I don't care who it is, it will never fail to be funny when someone complains endlessly about an upcoming toy and then as soon as it comes out they engage the Roadrunner legs and start looking for it.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    And that's the point, a lot of transformers in early days didn't even looked like what they transformed, and today, they're just the most complicated designs to make (not just movies).

PERSONALLY, when they have success trying to replicate the character in toy form, it's just an "unique" piece in the engeenering, because even some of us, as me, are tired of having basic transformation schemes.

But again, not just by that they're somehow "better", there are a ton of figures with somple transformations that work perfectly, they're fun and sometimes are very genious, by "unique" i mean figures using that type of scheme, because they're not so much.