Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree and will add
    ALL THIRD PARTY IS OVERRATED and are IP infringement items.

• Like Like x 9
  2. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I am in full agreement where third-party and KO figures are concerned. Third party accessories are fine with me, and third parties should have stuck with accessories and not made blatantly IP-infringing figures of their own.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  3. GogoDG

GogoDG The Emperor of Destruction, with a new face

Twitter:
    I personally have a bunch of KOs. And some of them are decent figures and some are more durable than their Hasbro counterparts.
    On the 3rd party note, there isn't one decent Megatron out there. The best imo is MP-36. But I really want a Cybertronian Megatron design.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    This thread is a constant source of entertainment...there's a lot of insight here about the culture of this hobby. Neat stuff.

It's also really nice to see when someone else shares your unpopular opinion. :D 

Ok...I realize that the thread doesn't ask for explanation...but umm...how do you figure?
    I do think that MP-05 is better than the general consensus and it does a couple things well but really better than MP-36?

A couple of my own:

1.) Windblade and Drift do not feel like traditional Transformers characters and I'm not interested in owning any incarnations of them.

1.5) Windblade's head design is cringey.

2.) I recognize that IDW has done a fantastic job with many of their books but they don't capture what I personally like about TF fiction. I think I'm starting to find that too much depth in a TF character can be a distraction...and a story that's too serious or violent just misses the mark for me. On the contrary, BW season 2 hit the perfect balance.

3.) Per the above, I am still slightly bummed by Minimus Ambus being included with the otherwise great CW Ultra Magnus. It forces a specific story on to the character that isn't the story that I prefer.

4.) I LIKE the original Jumpstarters!

5.) I think that about 50% of the Alternators/Binaltech line is "good to brilliant" and hold up well even today.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skids doesn't need a Masterpiece because the Binaltech is near impossible to improve upon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm pretty fine with the quality of stuff Hasbro is putting out so far.
    As long as the toy doesn't crumble in my hands when I play with it (and so far none have-I've started collecting seriously since Combiner Wars) then I'm good.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Yeah a lot of people are praising up and down to them, that somehow they are better then Hasbro and whatever Hasbro could do. Now I haven't bought a single one and none interest me what so ever so I don't exactly have grounds to stand on one way or the other but I guess that just means they're not for everyone. I don't need a Hardhead or Skullcruncher bigger then deluxe, I'm more then happy with the leader Megatron I don't need an oversized version of the voyager.

Yeah third party figures don't interest me in the slightest, a lot of them just come out as overly designed (i.e. Combiners) and they just ooze a "we're not a real Transformer" vibe. Also a lot of them instantly pushed me away by catering to the MP collectors, something I'm not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I don't display combiners in their combined form. I'd rather have five toys with good articulation on my shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a bold move Cotton
    As Six Shot was the Second Modern Transformer I Got, after thinking about it for weeks and I am considering getting a second to keep forever in case anything ever breaks on my first one AND he took Soundwaves place AS MY ALL TIME FAV Transformer toy a day or so after opening him. I think he is the best Transformer EVER. Barricade got returned for store credit and all Target had that day worth getting was a second Soundwave to keep in case anything happens to my first one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh, here's one. I generally prefer toy-accuracy to show-accuracy when it comes to new figures (to a limit, of course. I want my Ironhides to have heads, for example, but I prefer a yellow visored Soundwave).

Nah, I'm with him. Sixshot is a mediocre toy with a really cool gimmick. His lack of shoulder spread is completely inexcusable for a Leader and it's not like his legs lend themselves to posing particularly well either. And it's while it's cool that he's got six modes, not like his alt-modes are all winners. Or even mostly winners. He's okay.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I was kind of surprised but most collectors I've met don't have duplicate characters. Like, if they decided that generations hot rod was the best hot rod, they wouldn't buy any other. I have pretty much everything released since generations (I never sell any of them and never will) and am very much happy with having like 20 different Optimus Primes. I can understand if it's a cost thing but it usually isn't.

This kind of leads into the second thing. I have a few duplicates of characters because I bought both the Hasbro and Takara versions due to paint scheme or a new figure. The Takara versions usually lack something for me and end up being bland. Just look at the generations seekers, the Hasbro ones added some flare to theirs while Takara just did the old toy design color. The best example I have is Arcee as the Hasbro release added black to her that I felt was very welcomed (I know a few that absolutely hated it though) while the Takara one just looked kind of plain. There are a few exceptions of course like Gnaw and Windblade but they're more outliers than anything.

And speaking of Takara, whenever they design molds without the input of Hasbro, the toys turn out... icky. I mean, retools they can get alright, just look at Nightbird but new molds are a whole other beast for them. I got Takara Bruticus for Blastoff and you know what? Blastoff isn't great. He feels like a cheaper plastic (which I think he actually is) and transforms more like a third party toy than an official one. Plus I guarantee you that he'll shatter if he hits pavement. And of course I have to mention Godbomber. I was stoked for Godbomber but when I got him, I found him to be mediocre. He's overdesigned in some areas and in others, again third party. His helmet isn't connected to anything, it just sort of comes off and either gets stored on the gun or behind him (which pops off quite easily). When i got him, I immediately knew he was not going to get a US release because there was no way in hell he was passing child safety standards. To be fair though, he was clearly designed after the fact so they had to work with what they had. I just wish he were $10 instead of $70. Despite this complain, I'm keeping this guy. It gives me a story to tell and God Ginrai doesn't look half bad. Plus, I'm stupid enough to have Takara Blastoff, Strafe, and Shuttler so clearly I don't hate the molds that much...

Anyways, those are my unpopular opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Fluffy moogle enthusiast

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm not sute how unpopular this will be, but I view the Cybertron line as one of the best TF lines ever. There were great homages, great original designs, a fun gimmick, and a lot of variety. It's the last time (Outside of the movie line, which is an odd beast) that TFs felt new, rather than trying to constantly homage the past.

The quality of the toys was great too. Good size, decent transformations, great decos... While not objectively better than some more recent offerings, they have a hell of a lot going for them!

• Like Like x 1
  13. GogoDG

Twitter:
    Here's another unpopular opinion. I really like G1 Doubledealer and I want Hasbro to do more with the character. Like a new Generations mold (maybe for Power of the Primes).

• Like Like x 7
  14. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I kinda want punch and counterpunch along with it

• Like Like x 5
  15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    alt modes matter just as much as robot modes. stop giving us police cars that are two-doors and car carriers that are just trailers with giant holes in them. half the appeal of ginrai/magnus prime over um/pmop is that the cab on the latter two doesn't look realistic at all. it can't even be passed off as cybertronian, it's just a stupid looking truck

• Like Like x 5
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Applause. Voyager or Leader please. And a longer character arc in fiction than the traditional one off high and die short betrayal and then being discovered arc wouldn't be bad either.
    That whole magic eight ball nonsense was one of the biggest dissapointments of IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Member

The best toys from RotF are Scattorshot, both Sideways figures, and Recon Ironhide.

18. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Before I was back into Transformers I thought it was dumb how many Optimus primes they release like, who would need more then one right?
    Now that I am playing Titans return I picked up the PMOP Leader and then when I saw the Voyager Octanmus prime I got it as well. I wanted to be able to play with both, one as regular and one as powered up or something. I just liked both of them.

19. GogoDG

Twitter:
    It'll be an interesting gimmick to be revisited imo.

20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

They're not my primary focus but I love one step and three step toys.

I especially love buying them for my youngest cousins who like having toys they can handle of the characters they see on screen with me.