Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Sparkling Silver Wing

Instagram:
    I'm not a big fan of using clear plastic on car windows and such. Most of the time they just reveal folded up robot bits anyway...

• Like Like x 8
  2. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus mediocre meme man

While I believe that HftD was the best movie line to be released, my top three favorite movie toys from each size class are not from it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Sorry, but as someone who isn't a fan of IDW, I would have preferred a G1 head, does anyone on Shapeways make one?

4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette It's Joke!!

Flickr:
    The original Armada Hot Shot figure isn't as bad as a lot of people think it is. It's not a great figure, but the figure still has a ton of features that I actually like. The vehicle mode looks good and kinda awesome, the leg articulation is quite good, and the gimmick isn't all that awful.

• Like Like x 5
  5. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not a huge fan of articulated fingers or ankle tilts. We have gotten so many amazing figures before during the AEC trilogy for example that clearly it's not the benchmark for a great figure that a lot of people will say it is. Exceptions for large figures like unicron and primus that don't wield weapons as well. Seriously, when have we ever gotten a figure, official or 3rd party, with fingers that held a weapon as securely as a fixed fist and 5mm peg?

• Like Like x 2
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

This right here! The powerlinx remold made the face better, but sadly got rid of the movable visor. Armada was plagued by poor articulation in general, but they were damn fun figures to play with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Fans Toys' products' hands are usually tight enough to easily hold a weapon despite the individually articulated fingers... which is good because many of the Iron Dibots would have difficulty hanging on to their weapons otherwise. (I've yet to own Grinder so I don't know if he's any different, but it seems to just be problems accounting for the chrome on the swords as Phoenix holds his gun just fine) I wish more figures that employed articulated fingers employed the rail system. A t-shaped rail on the handle and corresponding groove in the back of the palm means you don't have to feed the weapon into the hand in an awkward way and aren't relying on the tension of the finger joints being tight to not drop it. Or offer some alternate hands that are easy to swap so one can have articulated finger hands and hands specifically meant to hold weapons.

I do agree with you though. Ankle tilts are nice if they can be worked in but hardly necessary, and I don't really get the appeal of KFC/XTB style hands at all. (especially those as the tiny ball joints are just asking for trouble in the form of snapped off fingers)

8. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Sparkling Silver Wing

Instagram:
    I think ankle tilts are more of a nice bonus, I'm okay if a figure has them.
    Gunpla has spoiled me into wanting ankle tilts in every figure I touch...

9. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    I don't give a shit if the plastic on new figures "feels" cheaper. As long as it doesn't break or stress, I see no need to differentiate between "good" and "weak" plastic.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Quite :lol 
    There are a lot of TF collectors who posses an amazing talent for dedecting density, mixture and such of plastic products simply by touching.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've said it before, but much of the newer plastic is stronger and has a much better tensile strength than some of the older plastic.
    I've cut into everything from G1 to Masterpiece to AEC to Classics and Generations. The modern stuff is quite often a bear to cut through, while the older stuff saws quite easily.
    It's like comparing metal to Teflon. Both are strong in their own ways, and metal is denser, but metal will crack before Teflon tears.
    Saying modern figures are cheap or hollow boils down to downright ignorance.

• Like Like x 8
  12. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

I am with you, I am new to this hobby but over in Joe land I usually prefer the modern releases of classic molds because the new plastic has superior engineering properties such as shear strength and coefficient of restitution and it just makes for a more playable toy and I even go so far as say those aspects make it " feel" better to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WarInTheFloor

Yep, I responded to the other guy before I saw your response, am on the exact same page.

14. WarInTheFloor

Oh
    And Van Hagar > Van Halen
    there I said it

• Like Like x 1
  15. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    I agree that more recently the plastic feels stronger and more resilient, but I think there was a time around Reveal the Shield and the FoC Generations figures where I first noticed the change in plastic quality, and some of the figures from then suffered for it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

You just took this to a whole other level. Those kind of comments may get you banned for life, but I think I'm with you. I grew up more in the Hagar era. Roth had his moments though.

17. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette It's Joke!!

Flickr:
    Indeed. Bad figures like `Superpants' Optimus and Sideswipe did exist, but Armada also has some good figures like `Bendy' Optimus Prime, and Armada Unicron.

Speaking of Unicron Trilogy toys, I absolutely hate Energon Wing Saber. He looks cool and combine with Energon Optimus, but that's pretty much the only thing going on for that toy. As a standalone toy, the transformation is basic and boring, the articulation is non-existing, and the vehicle mode just looks like a bunch of robot limbs folded together with a B-2 Bomber cockpit slapped on it. Say whatever you want about the one-step changers, but the quick automorph transformation of those figures is at least kinda fun for kids. Energon Wing Saber just stands there and looks like a brick.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last I hard safety standards for kids toys haven't decreased, probably increased if anything. If they are using less plastic it's pretty safe to reason that plastic is probably better than previous plastics used as they can use less of it. I think people are equating to how if feels in hand or its sheen as being cheap or of less quality.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AMG

AMG Old School

True, Sideswipe had an awful bot mode. But I think his alt mode was great.

• Like Like x 1
  20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    While browsing through the TR Overlord threads ...... again and again I see Carnifex this and MMC that, namedropped.

I really don't get it (read: don't dig it). Sure, they make good and nice toys, but their style....I just don't think it's great.
    Not awefull, but I certainly don't see the attraction in what I perceive as overly busy designs. I don't care for IDW restylings - although I make exceptions - and MMC just feels like that IDW style on steroids.

So while TR Overlord may not have high-end collectible features, for me he does beat MMC's creation in terms of doing the true G1/Masterforce style justice - by a large margin.

• Like Like x 5