Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrdecepticon, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

Eh, wha...? (in the voice of Hubert Farnsworth)

Hell, I'm going to have to re-watch that episode now.

2. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

You ain't the only one *points to self*

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. It's in part 2. They call them "Cybertonum Pits", but it's totally just a rocky cavern.

It makes the most sense in the G1 toon, where Cybertron was just a factory built by the Quintessons. Makes sense that they'd use an existing planet as the base for their factory instead of building an entire planet from the core out.

And also, Mindwipe runs into a bunch of normal looking, organic bats in Headmasters and screams about how he hates bats. There's your explanation for where Nightscream picked up his alt mode. :D 

4. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The new RiD is trying something new with the Decepticons being all beasts and Bumblebee is the leader. Each series has tried to do things a little differently, Animated had a very unique style for Transformers, but most of it was homages with a few new characters. A/E/C each added a gimmick but was still a lot of homages with a few new characters.

I for the most part agree with you it certainly seemed to be the last time Transformers really struck out of the box in both style, characters and story.

5. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    For me Rescue Bots has become my second favorite Transformers show right behind Animated and just before Beast Wars.

6. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    I enjoyed RotF, it's my least favorite of the movies, but I still enjoyed it.

7. Mirimus

I'll be damned.

Sounds like the writers for BW/BM were really paying attention...

8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's the first time in a while that we're seeing some real, big changes to the tried and true formula. And I totally applaud them for that. I wasn't really counting that show yet, since it hasn't aired yet. But yeah, so far all new Decepticon faces. No Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave. It's about as fresh as I've seen it in a long time. I won't fault them in the least for that.

Agreed. It's just that most of the series from RiD-TFP have been rehashing the same old names and faces and character relationships. Or they'll just take something familiar and put a slight variation on it.

As much as I enjoyed Animated, I honestly feel like all the homages began to take away from the show. The show began to feel like one gigantic homage with very few original ideas of its own.
    TF: Cybertron had more original characters and ideas than TFA.

Ooh! Is that an unpopular opinion?!

Yeah. And BM is one of those series that keeps getting better every time I watch it. It has aged incredibly well.

9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Or it could be dumb luck. I know the writers were discouraged from doing any research into G1. But either way, there is precedence for Cybertron having a rocky center.

10. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I wouldn't say RiD rehashes cast wise too much- Team Bullet Train, the Build Team, 2 out of 3 Autobot brothers, etc., mostly new. And on the baddies, even more-so.

The last series to have a fully new cast being Beast Wars, of course, but still, it's not just G1 rehashes. The Japanese ones tend to vary their cast a fair amount.

11. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Well-Known Member

^ To join in on the discussion, I'd have to argue against A/E/C having a lot of homage characters. Did we see Red Alert before in the series? Oh, yeah, he was a Lambo twin, he was never a ratchet-type character as prominent in the show.. Hotshot, sure, he was the yellow kid-appeal character, but he wasn't a rehash of BB. Blurr was completely different from his G1 self. Most of the characters are similar in name only. Ironhide in Energon was also really different, and Cybertron had TONS of new characters with all the planets (and a few bad-ass homages like Metroplex and stuff)

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'd say actually it would be since 2007 the franchise has been rehashing itself.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I thought All Hail Megatron was good

14. DarkWarGrimlock

DarkWarGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did, too. First IDW TF book that I enjoyed. I thought it was a very accessible and entertaining story for newcomers. A lot of the new stuff has the latter pegged, but I'm not sure on the former.

15. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    The great thing about Animated was the new characters that have now branched into other fiction (Bulkhead, Lockdown, Lugnut)

I view BM as the film noir of Transformers, it feels really dark.

16. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

its not for everyone.Not everybody likes the same foods or music either.

also, the idea that Cybertron was once organic harkens back to the G1 CARTOON SEASON 2 & 3.

watch the episode with the trans-organics.They were hidden in the deepest levels of cybertron.The chamber was a rocky cave

17. Altered Prime

thats how the original RID got started too.

18. Mirimus

Have no idea what episode you're referring to with the 'trans-organics', but I'm inclined to take your word for it; I've watched precious few season 3 episodes, so I've likely never seen it...and I'm glad that BM apparently was so thorough. For all the rehashes and reimaginings of G1, for me, the canon was ultimately closed with BM, and everything else is just something else.

And for the record, I'm all for new and different, as long as it's GOOD.

19. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Hollo!

Dweller in the depths, I believe.

20. Altered Prime

thats it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.