Unpopular opinions you have about the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, May 22, 2017.

1. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Better then to post it in the thread about CGI renders!

2. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

Since The Last Knight has come and gone, and this thread hasn't been posted in since it came out, I'd be curious to see unpopular new examples of movie opinions in this thread rather than make a new thread. Whether they're about The Last Knight, older movies, or both.

The current movie designs are just as good as the older ones, and in some cases better, like for Megatron and Barricade.

I'm not sure if this is unpopular because I've never really read an opinion about it, but Sherman is to The Last Knight what Gill Wembley is to Age of Extinction: a seemingly minor yet underrated and hilarious addition to the human character roster. Which gets me to my next point...

These movies can be self aware that they are ridiculous and have been accused of many things. Sherman's accusations to Cade of sounding racist. The old man in the movie theater complaining that all movies today are sequels and remakes. Crosshairs' remark of, "Textbook machismo, very persuasive," on Lockdown's ship after Hound threatens to kill him.

Contrary to a popular mantra going around, the series should not have rebooted after Dark of the Moon, and I say that as someone who didn't like The Last Knight as much as the previous films. Age of Extinction actually made the events of the previous film more meaningful, and it logically follows DotM. Its characters make sense in context. Of all of the films, the fourth one is the film most focused on the robots as sapient, sentient beings. The last two films have Welker voicing Galvatron and Megatron. There are cool sets like Lockdown's ship. Finally, it took actual risks with underused characters new to the films like Lockdown, Hound, Crosshairs, Drift; human-made Transformers and Transformium; Prime losing faith in humanity; misanthropic Autobots who don't even like each other much; and an all new human cast. It may have taken fans of both previous iterations and the earlier films out of their status quo comfort zones of Sam and friends running around and the Autobots being allied with the military and fighting more random Decepticons, but that's a good thing. Even The Last Knight, while not as enjoyable as its predecessors to me, still has redeeming qualities that get overlooked much of the time.

Last unpopular opinion, although maybe, and hopefully, not: we should be happy that people enjoy Transformers things we don't like, or enjoy things much more than we do. Even if there was never another Transformers film made I enjoyed (unlikely, but just saying), I would still be happy for those that like future films. Ditto to future comics and shows and toy-lines. I'm content with the stuff that already exists that I do like, and if I like future movies and toys and shows that's an added bonus and not a necessity (I realize that there very likely will be at least some future examples of those things I like, but you get the drift).

• Like Like x 5
  3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Megan Fox is ugly

• Like Like x 3
  4. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

unpopular opinion: aoe is ridiculously underrated...it aint perfect but it's probably my second favorite of the series after 1 but people talk about it like it's rotf 2.0 or something..no way...there are awful, cringe worthy parts no doubt but overall, i loved it...it was icing on the cake as far as i was concerned..even had an epic cliffhanger!

another unpopular opinion: these movies actually had really good continuity entering tlk

when you look at real life nonsense being responsible for a majority of the film's continuity errors otherwise it was pretty nice & tight through aoe

• Like Like x 2
  5. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    Unicron being Earth is not a bad idea when you consider what the entire movieverse has been through.

• Like Like x 4
  6. RorMachine

RorMachine We Were Brothers Once!

News Credits:
    Unpopular Opinion, A New Director.

7. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    You can like the Movies and not be a drooling idiot/child/moron like a lot of the 'fans' say.

I've seen a lot of gross things said to other people and just thought I'd list that.

• Like Like x 3
  8. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

1) Transformers 1 is the worst film of the saga alongside TLK
    2) I don't think the Twins are racists
    3) Sam was an awful choice for a human protagonist, I'd rather take Cade although he was annoying too sometimes in TLK
    4) I don't have a problem with most redesignes
    5) AOE is my favorite chapter
    6) Probably the most unpopular opinion of them all: all things considered, I still like them more than the animated 1986 movie

• Like Like x 3
  9. francesco92

And me as well

10. francesco92

My sentiments exactly

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favorite movie characters tend to be the humans. Maggie, Glen, Simmons, Lennox, Epps, even Jon Voight, Kelsey Grammer, & Stanley Tucci (can't remember their characters' names).

It's hard for anyone but Optimus to get the best lines, when it took us 5 movies for the Decepticons to get much more than, "Rargh!! Drool! Spit!! Snarl!!" So most of the humans get most of my favorite lines.

Goddam I love this line! Simmons & Leo could've been an awesome movie!

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!! LEFT CHEEK!!!

I always misquote this one as, "if I had a brick." Rolls off the tongue better, I think. But still funny as is!

The Whole Plate! Seriously, this line works for everything. It easily adapts to any situation. You made it through all of The Last Knight? Say, "I watched the whole flick. The Whole flick!"
    Gassed up the car? "I filled the whole tank. The Whole tank!" It works for everything.

50 years from now- just a feel good moment

And a heavy moment. Eat it, Optimus. Even the humans get drama moments.
    Years from now they're gonna ask us..

• Like Like x 7
  12. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    That's definitely an unpopular opinion, and one I happen to share. :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  13. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I've got the most unpopular opinion of all. Are you ready for the cringiest series of words you ever thought you would see?

AoE and TLK are better that the original trilogy!

...let that sink in for a moment...

Now that you want to burn me at the stake, here's my reasoning:

1. More screentime for robots! We've been complaining since day 1 that the transformers themselves don't get enough screen time. Now they are finally getting the screentime and what do the reviews say? "The Humans need more screen time!" Now I'm not going to state that it's the same people, but I'm certain there's overlap there. There are plenty of people who simply hate the movies and will use whatever issues they can dream up and would happily complain about humans and robots not getting enough screen time, no matter who gets that time. There's also the Gewunners who are going to protest any and all aspects of these films as often as they can because it doesn't stick to the designs and writing of the original two seasons of the cartoon or that they aren't straight adaptations of Simon Furman's works in the comics. But the robots are showcasing a lot more personality in the newer films and they are being more memorable for it. These are actual characters now, not just set pieces for the action and I like it.

2. Better lore building. It's true that every film has rotated around it's own maguffin. The All Spark, the Matrix, the Space Bridge, the scepter, and so on. But those were always just a flag for the two factions to fight over. Now we've got Unicron, Quintessa, the Knights of Cybertron, a secret society on Earth that has been aiding the Autobots through the ages, transformers involved in actual historical battles such as in the middle ages England and even World War II. There's a mythology building now. These aren't just alien robots anymore, they have their own history in this universe. The original trilogy only used historical references as plot devices. "See! The Ark was here all along but nobody new about it!", "See! The Fallen was here ages ago!", and "See! The All Spark and Megatron have been here for years!" but nothing was built up beyond those single statements. Now the history is relevant.

3. Humans are the villains! Something that has been done in pretty much every continuity, but this is the only time it feels like it works. Usually its because they are tricked into it by Decepticons, or because they are running an alien gulag and are making transformers look like a bunch of chumps that can be captured or killed with as little as a can of aerosol and some acid (IDW Scrapper) or nearly killing Megatron by shooting him in the head with a single "super bullet" (All Hail Megatron). This is the first time we've seen Human's as the antagonists that actually feels realistic. It's the military fighting against transformers which they perceive as a threat after their in-fighting nearly triggered and extinction level event. They aren't using plot devices to fight the transformers, their using their actual weapons, and they have their own motivations.

4. Cade > Sam. I know a lot of people really hate Mark Wahlberg but his performance is a lot better than Shia LeBeouf, and his character is a lot better. Instead of some kid with a Maguffin who just wanted to get laid, we have an actual engineer who wants to protect his daughter and make the world a better place. Granted, personally I would rather followed Lennox and gotten a soldier's perspective on the struggle, but Cade beats Sam hands down.

5. Dinobots! Granted they are barely there, but I think the Dinobots make everything at least a little bit better and these designs for them I am actually a big fan of. Instead of straight up Dino designs ripped from prehistoric Earth they are given otherworldly properties, looking like a cross between fantasy Dragons and Dinosaurs, which makes the whole "Space Dino" thing easier to live with. Plus they just look badass. Really hoping we get some better figure designs of these guys in the future.

6. New Designs! I agree with Galvatross here. The new designs are all around much better than the old ones. Even the knight motif just looks better than random alien bug designs.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Galvatross

Wow! Great post, and I agree! Personally, I think Age of Extinction is the best of the films, and I enjoy it more than the other four, but I don't think The Last Knight is as bad as some say, either.

I'm going to add to points 1 and 5 though, as there's a lot on my mind regarding those.

People seem to feel nostalgic for the first trilogy these days, but in 2007-2013 the first trilogy was RIPPED APART by the fandom.

What were some of things many fans were clamoring for in future Transformers films? More CGI money spent on transformations? Heck no! Here's a very brief rundown:

-More screen time and focus and characterization for the robots (the main thing I would say).
    -Dinobots, preferably not as total jokes.
    -Competent villains
    -A Megatron who was subservient to nobody, who can take Optimus head-on, who was voiced by Welker, and who didn't die.
    -Less military involvement.
    -Clearer robot action.

Along comes AoE. It actually has all of the things above. It's the closest of all of the films to what fans were clamoring for. Galvatron merely pretends to be a drone to get his way; he is hardly the "human's b*tch" as some fans have claimed. He's definitely the one controlling KSI. He's not just a snarling monster; he's resilient and manipulative and intelligent. He can go toe-to-tow with Prime and even happily takes Prime's Energon blades in his chest and shreds them like paper! Plus. Welker does an excellent job voicing him in both post-DotM films, and he survives. Lockdown is not the most physically or metaphysically powerful villain, but he's incredibly skillful and has a nuance none of the robot antagonists in the first three films have. He wasn't just some bounty hunter with a job; he was a bounty hunter with a job and a philosophy and ideology. Plus, Prime loses his faith in humanity as a result of Cemetery Wind's actions, but he gets repaired by Cade and develops a friendship with Cade, and through this friendship with Cade he regains the optimism and faith that he lost. Even Hound, the most violent of the Autobots, respects his leader so much he doesn't kill Joyce in KSI's headquarters and actually starts to respect the Yaegers as time goes on as a result of his interactions with them. The Autobots all get a chance to shine, they have a group dynamic none of the previous Autobot teams had, and even Brains and Ratchet play brief but important roles, and Ratchet shows more character in his one scene alive in AoE than in the entire trilogy combined. I love that in AoE the Autobots are the main heroes now and not sidelined by the military, and I like that we get plenty of non-action scenes with the Transformers compared to the past.

Is the characterization less traditional? Perhaps, but it definitely isn't worse. I'd say it's a big improvement.

I think either many fans don't know what they actually want and will just hate on something to complain, or they are upset because they didn't want characterization for any robot. They want their favorite robot from the previous films or G1 or whatever to be the ones with characterization done the way they want it, and that may be where some of the frustration comes from. The fandom, wanting to be in a comfort zone, wanted more iconic characters to be the focus, even though Prime and Megatron/Galvatron and Bumblebee are all as iconic as you get.

Consequently, I think some fans are mad that the movie versions of Lockdown, Hound, Drift, Crosshairs, etc., are actually more fleshed out than the movie versions of Soundwave, Shockwave, Starscream, Ironhide, etc. Furthermore, some fans of the first three films aren't happy to admit that the newer characters and newer versions of old characters are actually better than the less fleshed out robots from previous films they love so much. Most times Transformers fiction changes the fandom complains even louder than they did about the previous adaptations they once thought were so horrible, so whatever.

As for the Dinobots, I rather like that they are alien barbarians, and that they are feral and brutish. Furthermore, the Dinobots are to the other Autobots what dinosaurs are to humans: these mysterious, ancient beings that come from the same planet they do, and the Autobots don't know much about them. Humans similarly don't know much about dinosaurs even with the explosion of dinosaur knowledge and interest in recent decades.

Again, great post!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Galvatross

Here's another opinion that a good portion of the fandom would consider cringier than words can explain. Here it goes....

Transformium and the cube transformations of KSI's Transformers are actually great both visually and conceptually, and Transformium is actually the best fictional explanation for what Transformers are made of and many aspects of their biology and anatomy. I have explained it in detail here: Transformium is a GREAT concept.

Furthermore, I think we at least should have seen Galvatron and his cube transformation at least in the beginning of The Last Knight, and I hope we so more cube transformations in other movies and parts of the brand. Yes, please!

• Like Like x 4
  16. francesco92

I think so too. Plus the ability to didge attacks by shifting into particles is certainly cool and of great use

17. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    That's unpopular with 3 people. Everyone else understands that, like him or not, Bays time in the chair is done here. A sixth film by Bay would have no hope, no hope no hope at all!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    She's not ugly, but she's nowhere close to being worthy of the lust thrown at her . Dudes that like her needs to get on the internet more! :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    AOE and TLK were great fun.
    They should make a sequel to TLK before they go into a new direction.
    If Marky Mark is not on board for a sequel Megan Fox should be the lead without a romantic intrest.
    None of the dead bots or cons should be brought back ever. Not even in a reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fade2BlackZarak

Fade2BlackZarak Well-Known Member

I'm surprised so many people seem to dislike Age of Extinction. My main reason for disliking TLK so much was that it basically ignored all of what AOE set up. That and the entire first third of the movie was pretty much pointless.
    Movie Optimus Prime is an interesting take on the character and his hyper-violence makes sense.
    Transformers movies are yet to have a single comic relief human character that is actually funny.

• Like Like x 1