Unpopular opinions you have about the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, May 22, 2017.

1. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Ah yes Sqweeks. Forgot bout him. Yup, he's about my favourite new design, along with Nitro. I'm really wishing the submarine robot will be inventive and unique, but knowing the current direction, I got a feeling I might be disappointed.

I understand what you're getting at, but despite Barricade, Onslaught, Grimlock, etc, are ultimately still bipedal with two arms and legs. They're essentially still human-like in form and shape. I just wished there was variety, and some characters could be something else other than this. I'm looking for something along the lines of Demolishor or Rampage.

I'm fine with his voice too. And of all the new characters, his face is one of my favourite too. It's quirky and robotic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

I love DOTM, but I actually agree it's easily the most overrated of the sequels. Sentinel and Laserbeak are great as is the whole Space Race thing, Simmons and Dutch are great, and it definitely has many well done moments and scenes. It treats several robot characters very well, but it does not treat the main robot cast as well as 2007 and especially AOE, and I feel like Sam and the military can be a little grating at times by this point in the universe.

Now here's an unpopular opinion: Kruger is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be; he actually has many positive qualities that are ignored or dismissed. He understands what Transformers is, he actually wrote the better stories in the existing movies, and he's better than Orci and Kurtzman as a Transformers movie writer (he's certainly not worse than they are) and takes bigger creative risks more so than the much "safer" Orci and Kurtzman. Kruger has a thematic edge over Kurtzman and Orci, too. Perfect? No, but who is? I think he gets hated for taking the films in a direction different than Orci and Kurtzman and Speilberg started, but that was a good, indeed a great, thing!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Thing is, it's not a cape, it's a trenchcoat - essentially a very long and thick coat. Trenchcoats were used massively in trench warfare during WWI, and served the dual purpose of protecting soldiers from rain and debris and also keeping things such as maps, tools, and weapons inside. My WMG is that Crosshairs' trenchcoat is heavily armored to protect his body from most angles, and also to potentially keep weapons, ammo, and other objects inside, though this has yet to happen since he hasn't done a lot in the movies yet. The difference between it being a cape and a trenchcoat is that capes are purely ornamental and serve no purpose, whereas trenchcoats were mainly used to serve a purpose - and still are in some places. Sure, the trenchcoat would still get in the way in some ways, but less so than a cape would since it conforms tightly to his torso, (and it also serves a purpose) while a cape hangs loosely on one's shoulders. So it isn't quite needless extra weight, but it is still something his enemies could grasp in CQC.

Also relevant is that his trenchcoat retracted into his body when he piloted the OAC in Age of Extinction and extended when he got out of the pilot seat, but I think that was just to prevent any problems for the animators the coat would've caused when he sat down, and we weren't supposed to notice that it was retracted.

I do agree that his design definitely needed more Corvette kibble - I still fuckin' love it, though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Maybe he can retract it completely on command. If I remember correctly, wasn't there a TF5 toyline poster or something where he was in the background without his trench coat? That one that had Optimus and Megatron fighting on Cybertron?

5. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat about DOTM. I won't say that I don't like it, but I most definitely don't find it interesting to warrant a rewatch. It's juts kind of there. I liked the Wreckers and the Dreads and I think that Sentinel was an interesting addition, but apart from them the movie has nothing going for me.

I find ROTF strangely watchable :lol  The humor for most part is stupid and would be most at home in an R-rated comedy (which I don't like :p ). However, I really did like the adventure-like setting, the mythology of the Primes, the designs, and I really did dig the Fallen as a villain. He should have be set up for DOTM and not killed in few spare minutes they had left in the finale.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Galvatross

I think ROTF has a lot of rewatch value. Yeah, a lot of it is nonsensical, but so is most other, if not all, Transformers fiction. Robot heaven and Devastator's counter weights really aren't any more ridiculous than many things in the other movies, G1, Beast Wars, the Unicron Trilogy, Prime, Animated, etc. The negative reaction to ROTF as well as some of the other Transformers films is more over the top than anything in the film itself. The people who act as if ROTF or any of the Transformers films ruined or are ruining the brand have no actual clue what Transformers is meant to be. ROTF has a sense of adventure, the Twins and Wheelie are nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be, the scenery is great, it has a Pretender, the banter and chemistry between Starscream and Megatron is great, Jetfire is great, the Construction designs are varied, and Simmons and Judy are hilarious, however over the top their humor may be.

Which gets me to my final unpopular opinion in this thread: I will never understand why some fans think their favorite(s) of the live action films is this classic that should be put on a pedestal and that one or more of the others are irredeemable piles of crap. It's okay to prefer one or more of the films to the others or think one of them is better than the others in most ways. Sure, in my opinion there is a Transformers film that is of a somewhat higher quality than the rest. However, there isn't this huge gap in quality between the different Bayformers films that many fans think there is.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    You make points, but I stand firm by what I said.

8. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

And that's fine with me, I don't need everyone to like what I do. Besides, I think the idea of "Transformers wearing clothes" is pretty ridiculous too, but I think with Crosshairs, it's stupidly crazy enough to work. :) 

9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Thank you for respecting my opinion. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So I saw ROTF last night after I dunno maybe two or tree years and man that movie is a mess! :D  Along with the overly fast pace of the film and the big plot loops the editing is just terrible! The transitions between the scenes are just so inconsistent and some of them are out of place! The sequence changes from a highway chase ending with a short dialogue between the bots and Demolishor to Sam's house without any kind of dynamics! IMO the film should've started with Sam and his departure for College. They spent so much time in the previous movie building up his character that you'd expect the sequel to feel heavily connected to him but we get to his story only in what 15-20? minutes into the film!
    Another thing is Sam's behaviour towards Bee. You'd expect a young boy who's gone through these events from two years before that to actually have grown up but instead Sam acts like a total dork. Instead of respecting Bumblebee who literally just saved him and his parents and all he does is shout the yellow bot. "GET INTO THE GARAGE NOW!" What is that? I mean what it your purpouse really? Not to mention he smacks Bumblebee a couple of times when he tries to take out Allice! He needs to start behaving more! That is why I'd have Cade Yeager over Sam Witwicky any time. Cade is a great character who actually cares for his family and shows his sympathy for the Autobots and does something for them. He even tries to fix Bee's voice! What a great man that is!
    Like I said in another thread I would really like to see a spin-off about agent Simmons. He is a very unique character who strangely (in a good way) posesses both comical and serious characteristics and his passion for aliens...that alone makes him very interesting. He needs a sidekick though and that would be Leo. He was (to my surprise) really funny and deserves a second chance.

Forgot to mention...the Autobots are hanging around in NEST's base in Diego Garcia right? Then why are they nowhere to be seen when Ravage strikes? Also they show us Bee is secretly keeping an eye on Sam all the time but suddenly in the time where it most matters he's not there?

11. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    I personally would love to get a spinoff about that bodyguard guy from Dotm. I can't remember the character name, but he was played by Alan Tudyk. Like it wouldn't even have to be a Transformers movie. Just him being a badass bodyguard. I love Alan Tudyk and I loved that character. :D 

12. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I was able to follow and understand everything that was happening onscreen on my first viewings of all the movies because some of these plots really aren't that confusing. I feel like people are just overanalyzing things and making it more complicated for themselves.

EDIT: I got another thing to add. I don't know if this is unpopular, but one of the main reasons why I get excited for each movie that comes out is that I like hearing Peter Cullen's voice booming in the theater's speakers. And whether they're good or not, I'm always excited for new Cullen Optimus quotes.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Hotrod94573

Hotrod94573 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the aoe designs and I think the movies aren't as bad as they have been made out to be

• Like Like x 4
  14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Age of Extinction is better than Dark of the Moon
    • Shia Labeouf was genuinely good as Sam Witwicky, particularly in the first film

• Like Like x 2
  15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I would disagree there. Bumblebee and Ironhide both have scenes that show their best qualities, with Bumblebee supporting Sam in his mission to help uncover the mystery behind the pillars and having a fight scene with Soundwave, and Ironhide telling Optimus to call out the humans and having a fight scene with Crankcase and Crowbar before his death. Optimus is more debatable, but he does get something resembling a character arc (even if it receives only a couple of scenes putting any amount of focus on it), and a climactic fight scene against Sentinel as well as dispatching Megatron seemingly once and for all. Ratchet admittedly does not get much focus.
    Comparatively, AOE uses Ratchet as an opening kill guy, and every other 'bot from the last three movies other than Bumblebee and Optimus is implied to be killed off-screen. Bumblebee is delegated to more of a comic relief character, and Optimus... admittedly, Optimus is treated better in AOE and his character arc there gets more focus, save for that scene where he pummels Grimlock into submission while spewing how he's giving the Dinobots freedom.

16. Galvatross

Yeah, but they weren't main characters in the film itself. Additionally, Ratchet was killed early on in the movie, but I'd argue he showed more character in that one scene than in any of the previous movies. You see how reasonable he is by trying to reason with his would-be killers and how he would fight as a last resort against humans. He doesn't even try fighting back until Lockdown attacks him from the swamp. You see how much he cares for his leader by refusing to tell Lockdown and company where Prime was. He wanted to protect his leader, and he was willing to give up his own life to do so.

Also, technically Leadfoot's demise was also shown, at least in part.

Not really. He had become de facto leader of a ragtag group of Autobots. His ego was easily bruised, whether it was by Drift's dislike of Bee's qualities or because the humans were making knock-offs of him. Like Drift said, "He is like a child."

Grimlock was basically a wild beast of a Transformer whom Prime did free from Lockdown's ship. He was giving the Dinobots freedom, and he got them to join the other Autobots in a way dinosaur-like robots would understand.

Additionally, by "main cast" I also meant Lockdown, Galvatron, Hound, Crosshairs, and Drift. Lockdown is a great villain, Galvatron is a resilient, manipulative bastard who can go toe-to-toe with Prime and plays a huge role in the plot, and the new AOE Autobots are all given plenty of scenes to interact with each other and other characters. The AOE lineup may not be as iconic on paper as 2007's or DOTM's (although it still has several very well known names), nor is every character their most traditional depiction, but I definitely think it's the best robot cast based on their own merits, although I also really like Sentinel, Jetfire, Megatron, Laserbeak, Wheelie, and some others in the previous films, too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I liked Tessa's character. A reluctant kid thrown into a war she did not want to be a part of.

I think the second trilogy should have been built around her taking the place of Sam with Cade as a prominent background character(a'la Simmons).

18. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

News Credits:
    How is that an unpopular opinion?

• Like Like x 1
  19. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    This was the only topic that discusses opinions about the movies.

20. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

News Credits:
    Yeah, unpopular opinions.

• Like Like x 1