Unpopular opinions you have about the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, May 22, 2017.

1. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I liked Tessa. She had a couple lines that made me laugh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Always in someone's corner

News Credits:
    She wasn't that bad. Her boyfriend, on the other hand..

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont get the hate for her either. People's issue with her feel more like bitching for the sake of bitching.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

• The designs in movies 1-3 were BY FAR the best we've ever had of Transformers, and the new designs suck ass in comparison.
    • Nevertheless, the movie designs are the only one's I like
    • Skids and Mudflap were not racist, and I don't know where the hell people got that from. In fact, outside of Optimus, the twins were my favorite thing about the second movie. They were bombastic yet fun, and courageous yet dumb. The dialogue between them was priceless
    • I hate Bumblebee. His "voice" is absolutely annoying and his plot armor is unbearable.
    • Warrior OP is awesome.
    • I prefer more robotic, alien designs over the more humanoid ones.
    • ROTF is the second best film

5. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Believe it or not, but from what I have pieced together there is one storyline. The Izzy, TRF, Quintessa scenes look more like introductions of these characters to the general plot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I think Tf 1 is a good movie.

I don't get all the negativity aimed at Megan Fox.

I never liked Simmons. He was the start of the goofiness in the movies to me.

I liked Galvatron and the KSI drones.

As much as I like Frasier I didn't like Kelsey Grammar's villain.

I hate Ironhide. He's an insult to the G1 character with his horrible dog face. I was glad he died in DoTM.

I didn't like the Wreckers.

Some of the voice actors in TF3 and 4 were terrible. I hated listening to the Wreckers, Brains, Lockdown, Crosshairs and Drift. That said, I did prefer the more human faces they had apart from Brains.

I liked the twins as characters. I just hate their faces with the bug eyes and buck teeth.

I like movie Bumblebee and his radio gimmick. I never liked G1 Bumblebee.

I do find the movies more enjoyable the more I watch them.

7. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all. I have a feeling that this thread was just made for me since I have a lot of unpopular opinions about these movies. Where do I start?

...Oh well, I'll just start with my most recent going into TF5 and it's that I feel that Cemetery Wind (and to quite an extend KSI) was right. I bet I'll be saying the same thing about Santos and the TRF but basically it all comes down to the question of whether or not you believe that the Autobots have done more harm than good in these movies. I'm aware I'm unfortunately in the minority but I think the answer is yes (it just goes to show how bad Krueger, Bay, etc. are that they could lead me to think this way) and it always gets quite a debate when I bring this up. I'd make my case right now but it's quite a write. I'll do it later if asked, but right now I'm just glad to be on board here.

8. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

News Credits:
    That makes no sense at all. They literally saved the world multiple times. Nothing they have done is worse than attempting kill every living thing on a planet or enslaving an entire race.

9. TheMadScientist

Are you asking me to defend myself?

10. CKPRIME

News Credits:
    I would be interested in why you agree with Cemetery Wind that the Autobots have done more harm than good.

11. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well for one the Autobots could acted early when the Decepticons started killing people in DotM after destroying the Autobots ship.

It's like OP let people die just to prove a point.

12. TheMadScientist

OK here I go, it's a bit of a long read like I said:

• My first reason is both Sentinel AND Optimus Prime since it was his willingness to put too much trust in SP which led to him allowing what happened in TF3 to take place...thus OP actually is, at the least, indirectly responsible for the Battle of Chicago and the results of it (most of all the birth of CW). Though at the same time I can't entirely blame OP since, if you look back on the movie, an exact opportunity for SP to form the alliance he did with the 'cons was never established--unless someone can prove me wrong. It's like a plot twist you think is surprising and thus cool only to realize that they basically cheated.
    • Next is the Battle of Chicago in which CW came from. Even if Savoy really is the soldier who mentioned the sister he lost in the BoC, it still gave CW more depth and motivation than the Bots have had in four overly long movies (to depict him the way they did afterwards was almost criminal on the filmmakers part). It always drives me bonkers how hard it apparently must be to give your characters (mostly the protagonists) motivation nowadays in the movies.
    • Third was Brains. As much as I hated Tessa, she was absolutely right when she said (with regards to the 'fact' that Megatron was still alive and controlling what was going on in KSI): "You knew this, and you didn't warn them?"
    • Which leads me to my next point which is the dues ex machina resolution. Before I get to that though, I feel I should mention another unpopular opinion of mine, this time with TF2, and that was Galloway's portrayal (again, you can blame the filmmakers). To me, at first, he came off more as an overworked and underappreciated errand boy who was just trying to do his job with a bunch of overdemanding bosses--one of them being the freakin' POTUS for crying out loud. In his arguments with OP, Galloway came off as the representation of utilitarianism when he argues Sam be given up for the betterment of the people while they (hopefully) buy time to better deal with their Decepticon problem while Optimus represents (like was his norm from incarnation to incarnation) the Kantian side of the matter by not giving up Sam at all. This I feel is one of the major (and most fun) themes of this series of movies and it was disappointing that this clash of ideals was cut well too short for reasons I don't understand other than to make Galloway as worse a villain as possible. This time around, they resort to the use of deus ex machina to undercut CWs and KSIs assertion that the Autobots have done more harm than good by all of a sudden having Megatron not only be alive but have him controlling everything (as Brains 'forgot' to mention). Pfffft!
    • Last but not least is the overall character of the Autobots. This is where I'll likely be grilled but movie by movie, the Autobots characters have gotten worse and worse. What little personality the group has is reduced to bad/juvenile humor and Optimus shifting over from that aforementioned Kantian ideology to the utilitarian one he was against back in TF and TF2, which has not only really destabilized his character but I also think it's going to come to a head (or probably not) in TF5 (his purple eyes are a good symbol of that). I didn't care about Ratchet being killed by CW, I hated how BB started flipping out like a brat (and how much he did it) towards Stinger when he had never done anything to BB, you've got Optimus leading a charge through KSI like they're the bad guys, Hound's ready to go postal in KSI (with Brains not helping matters), the list goes on with Optimus's charge through KSI being arguably the worst. And I get that they might be going for a rougher, grittier version of Prime in these movies. But even if they were indeed going for a rougher, grittier version of Prime in these films; as leader of the protagonists, Optimus is supposed to be a stabilizing element amongst that group. Throughout four overly long films, he stabilized nothing! By doing what he did and having them go off on their own like that, he not only set themselves up to look guilty, but the fact that Hound is still ready to go postal when Optimus realizes that invading KSI wasn't one of his best ideas goes to show how little influence he really has on his comrades...and say what you will about Joshua Joyce but, by stepping up to them in that scene, he clearly showed that he believed he was doing nothing wrong and was at least sort of right to dare the Bots to "show us your true colors once and for all." Whereas Optimus would've usually found a way to reach a compromise between the Bots and these two human groups, it unfortunately never happened and is going to carry over into the next film; as well as him flipping over completely to the other side of that ideological spectrum I mentioned (Quintessa may have ended up controlling him but I believe he was on that path regardless).
    Well that's that. Tear me apart if you want but hopefully I made you at least think about it. If you do (somehow) agree with me, thanks. Happy Memorial Day! See you around.

13. CKPRIME

News Credits:
    They didn't do it to prove a point. They had to drive 700 miles across the country to get to Chicago!

• Like Like x 2
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    TBF, the movie has him give his reasons for the deception right after they show up in Chicago, (obviously they couldn't do it before) with no mention of a trip, (despite there obviously needing to have been one) but it's still obvious the only part of his plan was to let the world think the Autobots were dead so the 'Cons would show their hand. Actually letting Chicago be occupied probably wasn't part of it.

It's yet another instance of the movies not technically being wrong, but fucking up what should've ben a simple and clear explanation by usng kurt dialogue delivered at confusing times. It's yet another thing that makes the Transformers seem less like characters actually interacting with the human actors and more like giant toys with soundbytes recorded in a vacuum. It's hard to describe, but just the way the scene plays out doesn't give off the implications it should logically be giving. Almost every scene with the robots feels like this because there's no actors on set.

I honestly wonder if human/TF performances would be improved if they just stood the VAs on cherrypickers and had two real people play off each other. Obviously mocap is impossible, but there must be a better alternative to Mark Ryan reading the script from behind the camera.

15. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Wrecker's ship, Xantium, was stationed at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The invasion was in Chicago. That's almost 18 hours by car or 4 hours by plane from one place to the other (according to Google Maps). Depending on whether the Autobots drove or flew there it would still leave Decepticons plenty of time to wreck havoc. That's excluding the time they would have to swim to the shore after they landed in the Atlantic Ocean.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    i actually liked the Twins & was wishing they were in the movies after ROTF continuing their comic relief and being kick ass. i like how in ROTF they had this banter w/ Leo and were insulting him. Also, i also hoped Leo, Maggie, & Anthony Anderson's character could be in a sequel after TLK.

i think that's probably what, from my point of view, made the movies after ROTF kind of bland because they lost the comic relief of the twins & their bad-assery & took things more seriously.

17. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    I didn't watch any trailers for the first Transformers movie (at least I don't remember watching). I learned about Transformers from a big poster in the city.

My unpopular opinion is that I really don't like any of the trailer for the Transformers. To me they simply look bad and if I wasn't a fan I would never go to see the movie from the trailers alone. Most people, be it fans or nay-sayers, say that the trailers are always good, but I don't see WHY. There's nothing interesting in them.

Out of all the available trailers, the ones for TLK are the only ones I genuinely like and find interesting, but now people are saying that they are the worst of the bunch. I really don't get it... :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

ROFT > DOTM/AOE

19. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find the Military taking down Decepticons not too far fetched in the sequels. Considering they've been training with the Autobots for 2-5 years. First Movie makes sense because it's a new threat. It should be noted they weren't prepared to take down Demolisher as they probably never faced a Decepticon as huge as him before that we know of at least. Demolisher was then taken down by Autobots who probably were used to such threats(Optimus Prime and Ironhide).

I think Shockwave was awesome in Dark of the Moon.
    -Taking Away Optimus' Trailer/Jetpack/Weapons
    -Not Pursuing the Autobots afterwards for possibility of ambush.
    -Taking Optimus out of the battle. Resulting in the Lost of Que, their Weapons inventor and almost all the Autobots had Brains and Wheelie not prevented it.
    -Always guarding the Pillar and being an obstacle to some of Nests and the Autobots' plans on dealing with the Pillars.

Speaking of that I don't think it would have been wise for Optimus to use his swords to get out the wires, plus I doubt he could even reach him. And if he deployed from the Jetpack he'd be falling quite a height and for those who've seen Animated probably would remember Optimus falling from a similar height and dying from the impact. The one in the First Movie didn't seem as high of a fall though.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheMadScientist

I disagree, I think TF2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life (certainly one of the worst movies ever). And that's a shame b/c Tony Todd is one of my favorite actors and VAs ever while Benjamin Hickey's not a bad actor himself (won a Tony Award just after appearing in TF2). I saw it opening Saturday with some friends and it broke my heart. It was basically "Batman and Robin" with better visuals and action. The characters were awful, you could have cut about an hour from this movie, the humor and lines made me cringe, one of the worst villain plots since Ivy's in B&R, and the premise of Earth being inhabited by the Transformers seemed really drastic (hopefully it'll be wrapped up in TLK).
    Plus it had a budget of $200 million to make! When you're spending $200 million you've gotta make a WAY better movie than that! "Halloween" had an inflated $325,000 at its disposal and we're still talking about it 40 years later (plus John Carpenter had to pull quadruple duty of not only directing but producing, co-writing, even doing the score!) Mad Max was an action movie that cost less than $1 million and we're still talking about it, for all the right reasons, all these years later. Yet TF2 is regarded as one of the worst movies out there? There's no excuse for that! It sounds harsh but I think it's fair.