Unpopular opinions you have about the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, May 22, 2017.

1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Hollo!

AOE and DOTM keep fighting for being my favorite. I do NOT get the hate for AOE, considering it DID try and give the Transformers more screen time and character.

I actually like the focus on humans more than TFs a bit..? Humans give it a sense of scale, of generally how BIG these things would be and how much havoc they'd create. (Also, to the "It's called TRANSFORMERS, why doesn't it have more focus on the TRANSFORMERS?" crowd: How much screen time does the Xenomorph in Alien get? Is it the main focus?)

Drift's alt mode change is still kinda bugging me.

Sqweeks has a more original design than "R2-D2's head photoshopped on a soccerball".

• Like Like x 4
  2. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    1. RoTF is my most enjoyable movie in the franchise. It had that kind of adventure feel to it, plus it had all the characters that I liked - from the Constructicons to Jetfire and Grindor.

2. I like the more outlandish, wacky and creative robot designs, from Bonecrusher on skates, to Demolishor being two large wheels, and Rampage a pogo stick. This again, RoTF wins. I feel the designers were at their creative best here.

3. I hate humanoid looking Transformers. Yes it works as a cartoon aimed at young children, but in the more matured movieverse setting, it looks downright silly. Why would an advanced, mechanical alien race, who can configure themselves into anything, choose to exactly mimic us? Why would they need noses if they don't need to breathe? Personally, I prefer the robots to look believable for what they are in the setting they are in, rather than having human features so some people can relate to them.

4. It be nice if the bad guys win for a change. Am no big fan of humanity in the real world, nor in the movie settings. Many people can be arrogant, self-serving, self-centred and entitled asses, and I'd love to see the Decepticons wipe out a good portion of the population, if just to teach mankind a lesson in humility.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly! Its a 3 year difference, which is not a major gap (and why the Romeo and Juliet law exists). Heck, for all we know, Tessa was turning 18 that year, making the age gap 2, not 3. And if not, who cares, the age of consent in Texas is 17, not 18. And when people cry "statuatory rape", I just hear ***'s crying over petty crap.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    1) Amen, I felt like this film had the most energy and the biggest sense of adventure. It had such a huge scope.
    2) Thats one of the things I have always loved about the franchise; the creativity, variety, and out-there-ness of the designs.
    3) I'm ok with the humanoid designs, but variety is always great too.
    4) You could argue that the cons were the winners of DOTM. Yes, all the villains were pretty much killed off, but their actions and the destruction they brought to Chicago brought forth the birth of cemetary wind and TRF, and therefore the death of most of the original Team Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:

1) Yes (certainly from the shoulders up)

2) YES!

3) Sam's parents have a certain charm, but apart from a couple of lines, I don't find Simmonds funny at all.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think the big problem with that is not that the age gap exists, that's plainly obvious, but rather the really obnoxious way the movie detours from the main plot to draw attention to it at the worst possible time. In fact, even without that, Shane just comes across as a fucking knob: even if he was the same age as my daughter I wouldn't want them going out.

Sam and his father actually have super good chemistry together and I'd probably be much kinder to their portions of the film if his mother wasn't there. The actress isn't bad, she was just given total frog shit to work with.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    What are you? A fucking carpenter? You hit two nails square with one hit there! :lol 

8. Unicrons Herald

Unicrons Herald Chaos Bringer

I had no problem with the age-cap either. And as you said, she was not too young.

Anyway, I didn't mind the length of AOE, though it may be because I am used to watching movies which are over 3 hours straight, like LOTR.

Also, I don't mind the shaky cam of the first movies. I think it's easy to see what's happening. Besides, all movies have shaky cams now, it's not a Bay invention.

I don't mind Izzy, and her shouting at Megs is not cringeworthy. Kids have been shouting at Megs in all continuities.

I like Cade more than Sam, 'specially as Sam sometimes reminded me of a live-action Kicker *shutter*.

AOE is one of the best Bayformers movie, among others as it moved away from sex-jokes and gave TFs more screentime, a step in the right direction. :) 

I don't like women being used as eye-candy as it derives from the story.

I accept that there are humans in the Transformers movies, even though I do agree they hog too much time.

I like what I see of TLK so far. :) 

I think that is all, but may come with more later. :) 

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    -Drift isn't an enjoyable Autobot.

-I hope Megatron crushes Squeeks like a grape in TLK. C'mon Megs, we see that you pick him up in a scene, just squeeze a little bit and *pop!* no more Squeeks.

-Optimus' AOE/TLK design isn't very good. No vehicle kibbles was NOT the way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - I'm not really a fan of DOTM's final battle. It has some cool moments but just too much military spotlight at the expense of the Bots.

- AOE did more things good than bad

- The first half of TF1 isn't very rewatchable

• Like Like x 3
  11. Butter s kitten

Butter s kitten French potatoe

Twitter:
    Ahah XD

• Like Like x 1
  12. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

Izzy is looking to be the best addition to the films on the human side. I mean, looking at her confronting Megatron from her perspective, she definitely has motivation to do so. It is a fight or flight situation, but to exemplify her care for the robots and make her human, she doesn't necessarily have to take the flight option. People don't always act logically or in self preservation, and some viewers are distracted from this because they are always going to be looking from an outside perspective — especially in trailers. I don't always care if it's the smartest thing to do, so long as there is some sense to it and here there is. It's not like that random jackass in Kong Skull Island who out of the blue tried to pull a dramatic suicide against a monster — she has motivation, which I will elaborate on.

She seems like a more traditional Transformers human companion — actively caring about and interacting with many bots and calling to mind Miko from Prime. She is seen with Canopy, Hound, the mini Dinobot trio, Sqweeks and even yelling at Megatron. In one TV spot. And she seems to enjoy their company quite a bit, in the case of the Autobots. She's smiling riding Hound's shoulder, while hanging out with the mini-Dinobots, has been described to consider Sqweeks a close friend as well as shown, and crying as Canopy dies.

Plus, I am a fan of the idea of a child actively partaking in a film based on a children's franchise. I'm willing to give her a chance with all these things in mind. If they don't make sense, well, I am writing through a headache.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    As mcuh as I hate to say this, TLK looks like its going to bomb with the critics.
    Theres a few things critics hate in movies, some of which TLK is doing, and that includes:
    1) Too many storylines. We've got Optimus discovering Quintessa and his ties to Cybertron's death. Cade, Bee, and the Knights. Whatever Izzy is doing (as much as I like her character, she feels totally unnecessary to the story right now). Lennox and TRF. And then, whatever is happening with Megatron.
    MAYBE, though unlikely, the way the film intertwines these stories will save it from being a disaster. It would have to be very careful.
    2) Too many villains. Optimus, Quintessa, Megatron, and Santos.
    3) An end-of-the-world disaster event of colossal scale. Movies that have this don't tend to do well with critics unless they are fancy arthouse movies.
    Honestly, if this movie hits below 20% on rotten tomatoes, I will not be surprised.
    I hope it does well because chances are I'll love it anyways.

14. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I love Megatron's first movie design.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sadly, I must agree.

16. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    I thought Agent Simmons, Glen, and the N.E.S.T. characters were all legitimately enjoyable.

I don't think Jazz or the twins are racist.

I think TF1 is just a decent movie in general.

17. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

Reading through some of these comments I have another one that AOE should've left either Galvatron or Lockdown as sequel set up. One of the biggest issue people have with Age is that the knights and creators weren't really elaborated on because they were sequel set up. Having Lockdown in the shadows is the exact same issue, there's a mysterious bounty hunter we know nothing about who only exists to set up TF 5. This idea wouldn't work because people would be like who was that guy and what was the point beyond teasing TF 5? The only way that works is if you remove Lockdown altogether but then you run into the issue everyone has the movies never set up the future yet actually setting up future installments never actually works with the public, just ask ASM 2, AOU, BVS, and even AOE. What purpose is there in setting up Lockdown when him being a bounty hunter fits the Autobots being hunted story?

I don't think AOE should've removed any of it's plot points because there's no reason to. There's no reason to make Galvatron or Lockdown sequel set up, if you do it with Galvatron KSI is just a half hour of sequel set up and the movie loses it's meaning. If you remove Galvatron and KSI leaving just Lockdown the creators lose their thematic meaning. If you have it just be cemetery wind, KSI and Galvatron then what purpose does Lockdown serve beyond giving you something to look forward to in the future, how do you have Lockdown be in the shadows yet keep him out of the main story without it feeling out of place? There is no reason story wise to remove any of these except make the movie shorter which hurts the story since all these plot points work and build off of each other.

18. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette It's Joke!!

Flickr:
    I'm not a big fan of Megatron's TLK design. It's not awful, but Megatron now didn't even look like he can transform into anything. Same for Optimus, Drift, Crosshairs and Bumblebee's new design.

I can't stand Crosshairs. Aside from the fact that he's an Autobot, nothing about him really makes him feel like a good person. He's basically the Starscream of the Autobots, but not in a good way.

19. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My favorite Megatron design is from Dark of the Moon. Love his alt mode and love the hood covering his face from damage.

20. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Tessa Yeager gets a way worse rep from audiences than she deserves. I've seen her get criticized as annoying, dumb, and/or a bitch for things that most real life people in her situation would do (and don't get me started on the "lol daddy issues" comments, ugh).

• Like Like x 4