Unpopular opinion: I think the movies are progressively improve (except for TLK)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Apr 14, 2018.

1. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I honestly think, that the movies do have some elements that improve something from the previous one (besides the CGI and the duration, of course)

ROTF improved the 2007 movie with it's adventurous tone, transformers' history, new kinds of Transformers (pretender, combiner, ancients, animal-like).

DOTM improved ROTF with darker overall tone, and interesting plot twists.

AOE improved DOTM with introducing a plot that never done before: humans eradicating transformers, interesting villain with personality: lockdown.

While TLK just borrows previous elements from previous movies

• Like Like x 8
  2. DeletedUser_106023

DeletedUser_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely. I agree with this fully.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Hmm... you use words like ''improved upon' when I think you really mean, 'barely touches upon'.

Sure ROTF has one Pretender, and the idea is never used again. Sure ROTF has one Combiner team, and it's never used again, hell Devastator was barely utilized in the movie he was in. Devs would have been better used rampaging throughout Chicago.

DOTM did have an intriguing twist; I did not see Sentinel's betrayal coming. However without a much needed redemption arc, he was ultimately wasted.

AOE had better intactions between the Autobits, Cemetery Wind was a cool idea, and Lockdown made a much better villain than that bumbling oaf Megatron could ever muster in his previous films, bit it just soured the fact that Megatron was...well...a bumbling oaf...

TLK...well they never learn their lessons...

So, sure...I agree that each Bayformers movie had potential to be better than the last one they just couldn't commit to any greatness, and dropped the ball each time.

Each movie has at least one brilliant moment in them; arrival to earth, Forrest battle, etc. But an improvement is a gross exaggeration.

What could've been though... could've been great...

• Like Like x 5
  4. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correction. Quintessa and Infernocus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    After the first movie, the humans continued being the main characters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NemesisPrime12

Yeah I agree with you. While those elements are great, it's a shame most of them is a one off. They only used within short amount of time. Pretender, ravage, and Devastator in ROTF, DOTM...like you said, Dinobots in AOE (thank Primus, not Lockdown), they are all wasted in one movie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The problem wasn't that the films didn't make any improvements, it's that the improvements made were often baby steps and new problems were popping up all the time.

So in Revenge of the Fallen I think everyone was happy to be rid of things like shaky cam, too much dirt and dust cam, the so close up on the robots we can't see what's going on cam. But those welcomed changes with how the movie was filmed didn't cause people to say oh boy Revenge of the Fallen is so much better than the previous movie because a sack load of new problems were dumped on the franchise. It's hard to find a Transformers fan that says I love that all Devastator did was suck sand, move some stone blocks and get killed by a human super weapon with no set up and that is never used again in the series.

For the things that did get fixed it seemed like there was always too much that wasn't fixed so disappointment about how little Devastator did was followed up by disappointments of that's it with the Dinobots. It became sort of a pattern of whatever gets hyped like crazy in the trailers will be a minor thing in the actual movie. Every time it looked like hey they are making some real progress on the film villain it all got wasted because that villain would be dead by the end of the movie and only Megatron gets to pull from an unlimited stack of back from the dead cards. No need to invest in the new big bad because they will not be around for the next movie.

The movies needed some serious overhauls and triage to fix problems but the studio was too timid for any major serious change. The studio would apply a Band-Aid when what the movie needed was a body cast because they feared any sort of real change would run off a portion of the people still sticking with the movies instead of being focused on how it could bring more people in by deep and serious changes. You can see this same put a Band-Aid on the scratch on your forehead when you have two broken legs approach with all the Paramount films like GI Joe, Ninja Turtles, Star Trek and other franchises they managed to sink.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NemesisPrime12

Totally agree with you. Everytime new major villains get killed, I always like "that's it?". And that major villains are decepticons like Devastator, Shockwave, Laserbeak, Soundwave, all deserve better death, or like what you said: why kill them off so soon.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Lol! You're right. Infernicus had such a minor roll I forgot all about him .

10. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why this would be unpopular because it's true they did improve. Right up until the last knight which took a nose dive and shat on everything they setup in age of extinction.

11. NemesisPrime12

I don't know about users in here, but I see general audience just can't move on from 2007 movie

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I dunno about the trajectory being consistent: TF07 was good, even great at times. ROTF I feel is a poorer movie in all but the technical aspects, then DOTM brings it back up, ending with a visceral and reasonably satisfying ending. AOE just sort of spins the wheels a bit but has arguably the most interesting villain.

It’s weird, if it were a graph we’d have a nice high point at the start, a big dip immediately after, then a revival worthy of The Rolling Stones and lastly a tiny dip but otherwise plateauing. Then TLK happens and it rockets to the bedrock and comences drilling.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NemesisPrime12

The graph would look like a roller coaster track then

14. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I still think TF07 is the best film of them all, I definitely see OP's point.

ROTF makes a genuine attempt to expand the Transformers film mythology and try new things. You get new robots of all shapes and sizes here- tiny Transformers, kitchen appliances, geriatric Transformers, combiners, ancient entities, pretenders, unique alien designs, etc. Every battle was in a type of terrain not used in the first film. It definitely tripped over itself in trying to execute the deeper mythological aspects, but they tried.

DOTM showed that they learned a lot of lessons from ROTF - namely, they were able to do a much better integration of Earth / TF history here, they introduced several named Transformers who were long overdue in the films, and they created a conflict that had large-scale ramifications but also was felt on a personal level, with the Optimus / Sentinel dynamic.

AOE had its share of issues (namely runtime), but turned the entire series on its head in the best way. It's often been discussed here all the good that came out of AOE's new approach to the series.

And then you have TLK coming along and just being a hodgepodge of ideas that make no sense. The end!

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheGlynreaper

TheGlynreaper Well-Known Member

id have to say I think the last knight was the worst film over all the idea that cade was the knight makes no sense , cogman never really did anything , nemesis prime was useless, I actually forget that megatron was in the film and they made the decepticons very weak , when optimus was talking about how humans have let him call earth his home err did he forget about the previous events in films mainly DotM and AoE
    other than the finale sqweeks and that girl were pointless to the plot

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Starscream's death was the biggest disappointment and one of the reasons DoTM was mediocre.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Eh, kinda.

Best for me is kind of a tossup between the first, Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction. I actually like both RotF and TLK more than most seem to, probably quite a bit more even, but RotF is definitely the weakest of the original trilogy and The Last Knight just wasn't quite as good as Age of Extinction, even if I did like a lot of things about it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    AOE was a step back from DOTM, all things considered. But if you were to trim away all the unnecessary bloat, you'd have a step forward.

19. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

I do think the first three sequels were about as good as they were going to be realistically given their circumstances, and that each does improve in some or many areas, and that they're all better, some much more so, than given credit.

RotF: The Decepticons actually have some banter, namely Starscream and Megatron! Plus the robots have more personality.

DotM: A better story, villain, and the best of the films at depicting the war.

AoE: Also has an interesting story, an even more interesting villain, more emotional deaths (Ratchet), clearer action, and better voice acting.

None are perfect, but none are anywhere near as bad as internet fans and critics clamored for what the movies were trying to be. Not even close.

• Like Like x 2