Unpopular Music-Related Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Even more annoying, there are radio and tv personalities that try to analyze her songs to figure out which enemy, psycho fan or ex-boyfriend they're about. "Oh, this one is about Kanye and this one is about Joe Blow..." How about 'who gives a crap?!?'

Just think- this woman had like 17 boyfriends in the last 10 years. I wonder why nobody ever made a song about her ASPD. She probably made all of her conquests sign a NDA before she gave up the pie... which probably looks like a day old Togo's roast beef sandwich with the amount of dudes that's driven down that expressway. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  2. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

Unpopular opinion, old-timey metalhead edition; though I acknowledge Bruce Dickinson is objectively the better singer, I actually prefer Di'Anno era Maiden. Come to think of it, in a similar vein, I think Judas Priest's best material was in the 70's.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    .........BURN THE HERETIC!

I kid, I don’t mind Di’Anno’s work on Iron Maiden at all.

4. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

(Excuse my grammar mistakes)

Nowadays everyone tend to say that "the music from before was better than now, since now is very repetitive." But the music has always been quite repetitive; no matter what era you go back, there will always be hundreds of famous songs that sound 'same', as they try to imitate the one who put that trend.

We live in an era in which commercial music repeats the same formula over and over again, showing insipid and repetitive lyrics, without any background. Most radio stations dedicated to music do not help to improve the musical level, by continuously broadcasting the same pieces of the same artists repeated over and over again.

But for a song to be famous does not need to have to have lyrics with a deep meaning, there are many more factors such as the rhythm or beats of the music, the rhythm is what makes them famous. A great example are Despacito, Shape of you (I did not like the song) and Havana are for excellence the songs of 2017. These songs have generic lyrics, but it was the rhythm and their catchy tones that led them to the top. I do not know if I explained it well.

Songs like Closer (or any song by The Chainsmokers), I'm the One, Work from Home, Rockstar, etc are songs that have become famous because the population wanted to follow that 'trend'. But we must not forget that a lot of songs from the 80/90 are still being put on radio stations, and some of them precisely do not have the best lyrics or rhythm.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of this type of music, but there are times when I can’t stop listening to songs like 'It ain’t me' - Kygo ft. Selena Gomez, because even though they do not have anything special they have 'that something' that makes people not stop listening to it.

Is current music worse than that of past decades? No. At present we have something that did not exist in the 80s: Internet. The network is an inexhaustible source of good music, because thousands of bands that do not have the means or support to reach a large market decide to publish their works on the Internet. Decades ago, artists needed to give concerts to win a follower and nowadays you can do it thanks to social networks.

Most people who defend the position that the current music is of low quality, has never bothered to look for something according to their tastes and preferences. There is a lot more musical offer than you could, so it is very easy to find artists that we like.

In conclusion, I believe that the current music is not worse than what we could hear years ago.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Just like in the 80's and 90's, there's music I like and music I don't like. I typically listen to the contemporary pop stations, so for the stuff I don't like, which is most rap, I simply change the radio station and listen to the sports talk.

I actually like the Chainsmokers' and their music. Closer, while a nice, catchy song, I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover... okay
    That I know you can't afford... If she can't afford it, how did she get it?
    Bite that tattoo on your shoulder... wait, what?
    Pull the sheets right off the corner... In the Rover??
    Of the mattress that you stole... The stolen mattress is in the Rover?!?
    From your roommate back in Boulder... They stole a mattress from a roommate and put it in a Rover?
    We ain't ever getting older... Not at this rate if you keep stealing mattresses from roommates.

If there was gratuitous drug usage in there somewhere, that would make at least a bit of sense. We know the song is about hooking up with an ex lover, but those lyrics make very little sense unless you're under the influence of some substance... and that's pretty much a microcosm of today's contemporary music in a nutshell. Nice, catchy tune with questionable, random, "we'll use this word/phrase because it rhymes" lyrics.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL 不幸だ!

I can't stand the new American bands and music. I like oldies and Classical these days. I like background music for Japanese anime more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Depends. In general today's music is awesome. But if you mean pop music? That sucks and becomes continuously worse. I pity the people who only listen to that crap and don't know it better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Purple Progress TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You see the thing about this is that your simply judging music entirely upon your own(and others) opinions of it. If you want to actually understand the music of this generation, you have to look at it from an unbiased and factual point of view and understand that it is an industry, designed to make money.

Granted, music has been a growing industry for the past several decades. A lot of the “popular” hits today though that you’ll hear on the radio aren’t works of art created by their artists, they are songs designed to be as simplistic and catchy as possible in order to appeal to as many people possible and make as much money as possible. Again, that's hardly something thats new and it does not apply to every popular artist our their by any means, but it does for all the big ones. Today celebreties are manufactured, milked, and then tossed away. Their music is only an instruement to further those means.

Music is a form of artistic expression, whatever form it may take. Songs designed to appeal to people have nothing artistic about them, they are corperate productions. I can’t tell you how many artists change once they make it big, because they aren’t doing it for the music anymore, they are doing it for the fame and money and they’ll do whatever is asked of them to achieve that. Thats whats wrong with music today, not thats is subjectivly bad, but because it’s entirely soulless.

Personally this doesn’t effect me and I’ve taken the time to develop my own interests and tastes in music, I like what I like regardless of what it is. I still don’t condone and cannot enjoy faux music, but I’ll give credit where it’s due despite my own tastes. If you want to like popular music, be my guest, but I’ll stick with my artists.

Another thing to consider on this subject(thats almost literally beating a dead horse) is whats sometime refered as Juvenoia, or the fear of the next generation. It is something that has prevailed in humans since the dawn of our society and is in our own nature. Everyone knows the joke of old people hating modern music, or anything to do with the coming generation, and it’s true. Eventually, this generation will say the same things about the music of the next generation, and it will repeat itself for as long as humans exist.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So, I am not really that into music. Well, maybe not as much as some of my friends. I use to make this argueement all the time that is made here. Until one of my friends pointed out this may be the best time for music we ever had.

IF YOU LOOK FOR IT.

And that is the trick. There are so many places to find really good music, from whatever Genre you want. If you rely on mainstream Radio, you'll think it sucks, and most likely because it does. When we grew up, music changed quiet a bit. I mean, we had, hip hop, rap, then gangster rap. We had Rock, Metal, Grunge then Alternative. We even had the introduction of House, Trance and other forms of electronica music. So at the time, Radio was new and exciting. Now, there is no "new" music being played on the Radio. They go with tried and tested formats.

That's why you need to go online and see what's there. There is even Country Rap. Yup, Crap!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much my sentiments. Most of the new stuff that's playing over the radio just doesn't appeal to me or my wife. Our days of clubbing and getting crazy drunk and partying are behind us, so we feel that we've just outgrown that type of vapid (soulless, even) brand of music. All the more power to the younger generation and what they like to listen to; it's just not for us. The missus is a big fan of the 80's and 90's when it comes to music, and we're more into smaller indie bands too. I guess we're just old curmudgeons now. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On par with the Emoji movie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    that's way too broad of a question. music is so far-reaching, subjective and emotional that nobody can say for sure.

today's hip hop is killing it though. childish gambino, chance, fuck even lil dicky are taking that shit to new levels. it's ******ed how damn good it's stayed.

if you sit there and listen to the radio and all that scrubbed down family friendly shit that 45 year old moms listen to in their lexus than yeah, you'll probably get jaded, but if you actually look for good music and support the artists you like then you'll be a lot happier and great shit will continue to come out

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

[​IMG]

Seriously what the hell did you expect with this thread? This question might sit lower, but you're still chumming a cultural shark tank to sod all benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Today's music sucks ass! End of discussion!

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do find a lot of today's music total garbage. From the overuse of autotune to the craptastic vapid soulless lyrics, I just can't stand listening to the radio anymore. And to be honest, I listen to a lot of music from different genres and ages. From the oldies like in the 50s or 60s, and maybe 70s, to even more recent in the 80s and 90s and some from early 2000s. But today's popular music? You couldn't pay me to actually listen to the garbage that's out there. I like what I like, and that's all I know. I've been suggested to listen to the rap songs of today, but I can't help but compare it to the early 90s and some of the early 2000s. Today's rap on the radio is total garbage. Utter garbage. The lyrics don't really say anything other than materialistic bullshit.

Heck, I've even listened to some country even though I hated it when I was in the military. They kept playing this one on the radio where the dude was whining about how his wife and child left him because he decided to be a rodeo rider. Like...what the fuck... How you gonna whine about something YOU decided to do? That song got on my damned nerves. And it almost made me think all of country music was nothing but a bunch of whiny ass garbage. But I know that's not the case. Like someone else said, you can't really find a whole lot of good music on the radio these days unless you tune into the right station. Anything "popular" is not going to appeal to anyone but a target audience, and to make money.

• Like Like x 3
  17. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Old-fashioned Hurgusburgus

News Credits:
    I don't carbon date every song I listen to. Are there more songs that don't belong to "today's" music that I like compared to more modern ones? Probably. But most likely only because I found the older ones first and was happy enough with those.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Correct. I'm glad that in the 90s we were introduced to so many music genres that now have completely left mainstream. With the introduction of the internet it was a fluid transition and I still get new and awesome music and I'm still finding new genres and artists that I like. While popular music just basically stayed the same now for 18 years. They adopted elements of music I was listening to 10 years ago but implemented it badly in comparison to the artists who invented these artistical elements. Exactly because, as PurpleHeart pointed out, most of the popular music is just engineered based on statistics. But that doesn't mean that sometimes there still is a really good popular song in mainstream.

It's just harder for me to find those. I already phased out popular music in my teen years in the 1990s.

What I find funny about some modern pop music "singers", they don't really sing their songs, it's just like in other electronic genres I listen to, that they basically just provide some samples for a song that someone else made, but they get all the fame for it. That's really weird. In the music that I listen to, their participation in the song would only be a "featuring" entry next to the artist who made the song. But in popular music they get all the credit, because they are the product that is sold to the masses.

But you have to take into account that young people have a harder time to find the good music, as they grow up into our society not knowing that there is something else.
    When we were young we got a glimpse of many genres that were literally born in the 90s (of course some had their roots in music genres thad came before in the 70s and 80s) and evolved into more stuff, so by just following the development by using the internet, we were all the time informed about everything cool that happened and was released.

And the kids today have to actively look for something else than pop music and how do you do that, when you don't know what words to google? :D 

But that's the good thing about parties, first you learn a lotta stuff from the folks that are older than you and they tell from their past experiences when they were your age and later you're in their place and give your experience and musical advice to the next people, it's a steady supply of new and young people who come to the parties. It's just like a culture of it's own :)  Well, you gotta go to the right parties.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

Wow relax, what is the problem with wanting to know what people think?

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya know, for a while, I started listening to scores from movies and some created by content creators on YouTube. Hell, I've even found some scores from games that were decent. There's also a instrumental cover to Mad World that was good. I'll have to go find it....

Ah here it goes:

She has one where she sings it too, but I like the instrumental more.

• Like Like x 4