Unofficial Photographic Archive Volume 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by brr-icy, May 11, 2017.

1. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

I really hope there is a third volume with some of the newer G1 stuff. That's the volume that should include the slipcase cover for all three books.

• Like Like x 1
  2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm not sure what you are asking, if you're asking if they will be thin, no. We are planning to have a good quality to them.

3. Russ840

Russ840 Autobot Targetmaster

What are the prospected dimensions of each Vol ?

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    We are looking into this paper quality for the inner pages:
    157 gsm (106 lb.) matte art

Inner pages will be 8.5" / 11"

5. Russ840

Excellent. So fairly large then.

6. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

Thank you

7. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

That's the standard size of a sheet of paper. Grab a ream and you'll get an idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. borgified

borgified Resistance is Futile!

For those who don't know what a ream is, it's printer's jargon for a pack of paper that is packaged when you go to an office supply store.

DSC00276.jpg

This might be a good example.

As per the wiki page quote:

Writing paper measurements[citation needed]
    25 sheets = 1 quire
    500 sheets = 20 quires = 1 ream
    1,000 sheets = 40 quires = 2 reams = 1 bundle
    5,000 sheets = 200 quires = 10 reams = 5 bundles = 1 bale

Does that help in clearing up a few questions? I hope so. :) 
    Note: I did take lithography course when I was in college so some of the terminology is still stuck in my head after all these years.

Count me in for the Kickstarter, not going to miss out on this project.

9. Russ840

lol. I don't mean this to come off rude but I was not asking a question. I know how big those measurements are. I wanted to know so I could compare to my hardcover comic book collection.

Sorry if that does come off as rude.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Ocular Echo is hosting another G1 Toys Giveaway!
    Details: Ocular Echo

Also, here is an update on the covers:

CoverS_TFW.jpg

Some of you expressed that this aspect could use some work. One of the actual comments was along the lines of “The cover is excitingly boring”. So... we tried a few things. We wanted to punch it up a bit, while keeping the minimalist essence of the initial version. One of the main things we are going for here is a unified theme that could be easily expanded and carried over to a collection of more than 2 volumes, much like a series of Encyclopedias.

Hope you guys like it.
    And good luck to anyone entering the giveaway! :) 

• Like Like x 5
  11. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Suggestion: Make the silver badge in the center wide enough to support "G2" in case that happens. :) 

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

This might be redundant since I'm sure you have some really talented people working on this, but just my two cents:

On the inner pages:
    A coated Matte paper is a nice choice, but I will say that since the paper will be flooded with black that overtime the ink rubbing might be an issue, more so than a gloss paper. Since this is essentially an Art book, you might want to talk to your printer to see if they think running a protective varnish on every page would be ideal?

I like the cover!
    I know this would drive up cost, but I'm almost envisioning a foil stamping, high gloss uv coating, embossing, or a mix of the 3 on that G1 badge. That might what you are already going for? But it will probably look awesome once printed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    ;) 

These are the specs we're looking at right now:

Cover:

4c + matte lam + spot UV x 0c
    157 Gsm glossy over 3mm boards
    -Basically a non-scratch non-scuff matte finish with the "metal" glossed.

Binding:
    Smyth sewn / square backed / fully cased in / H&T bands

Embossing might be considered, but we need to see how it'll affect the overall price..

Thanks for the constructive feedback, guys :) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

Oh well... I don't want to be rude but I think that talking openly is the only way to improve things... Yes, it looks like an encyclopedia... a very boring one. It is really *not* a display piece but a book to keep in the drawer.
    I really like minimalism, but this is just... boring. Also, dark colors over dark colors adds fatigue to the eye. Nothing "jumps" out for being elegant. There are way too much informations/noise on the cover and there is not a very distinctive subject the eye can recognize and lock to.

I would try to:
    1 - remove the blue and orange bars (they don't add anything to the cover)
    2- put "unofficial photographic archive" on the same line
    3 - remove the author's names. If you want to put them, then put them in a large font-size like they are important (like a book cover, where the author's name is supposed to be important). Otherwise they just add "noise"
    4 - like someone else said, put padding around the "G1" lettering to accomodate G2 or in any case to add "air and space" around the fonts. let them breathe.
    5 - put the G1 square centered (horizontally and vertically) on the page, just like an emblem, something that is important and is the focus of the cover. and enlarge it. This could easily be the subject of the cover. A large "something" that the eye is caught to and wants to admire

Just my 2 cents, feel more than free to ignore everything I said :) 

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

I am assuming you cant put a picture of a figure, like Optimus, on the cover? Otherwise, I think you should. You want something to be INSTANTLY recognizable on the cover, so that at a quick glance a person will know what the book is about. If its a book about the toys, then there should be a toy on the front. If its a book about the cartoon, then have a cartoon clip on the cover.

We know the expression, "Don't judge a book by its cover", but unfortunately most people do that. I think the covers are "cool", but they do not give enough info as to what the books are really about. Especially if you are trying to target anyone that is not a diehard Transformer fan, who may not even know what G1 means.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

I also was assuming that they can't put a pic of a real tf on the cover, they don't want to infringe any copyright or trademark. But I second you, Dunedain.
    I think you guys could find something that represents transformers in their very concept. Like an icon on a pc desktop: everyone who sees a floppy disk instantly understands the meaning and value of that stylized symbol. You guys could find a "conceptualization" of the "transformers toys", something that includes in itself the very tf spirit. Yes, you cannot use (I assume) the autobot logo, but maybe you can come out with something original that works as well as an autobot logo. A type of flat icon representing emotions/concepts/memories/years/philosophy of the toys you are talking about in the book. Maybe some sort of icons that represents the "transformation" idea? Maybe something similar?

What is the first thing that comes into your mind when thinking about tf? I, for example, bots apart, remember very clearly the dark and cloudy landscapes and the sense of melancholy of the soundtrack. If we put togheter some amount of ideas then there is the possibility the "good idea" comes out :) 

another 2 cents :) 

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Thanks for the constructive feedback everyone. :) 

We however have to call the covers final at this point. The art has already been past along for an updated render of the video for the Kickstarter.

We all know the creative process is very subjective, and we respect everyone's perspective. But we feel like we have something that fits the intent and vision behind the labor of love that are these books. We kind of love them actually. :) 

To stay open to future possibilities though, it might be really fun to host a cover contest for a special edition or something down the line! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

...your covers look great, honestly...

...an easy solution toward pleasing everyone would be to offer a couple of different double-sided dust jackets as add-ons or higher-level tiers in your kickstarter, to let folks swap them out on a whim to represent autobots, decepticons, cybertrons, or destrons in a more-dramatic splash image as an inexpensive alternative cover...

...for that matter, you could also provide a digital alpha-masked graphic file along with third-party links to hasbro/takara's iconic box art paintings, if folks wanted to assemble and print the old copyright images as dust jackets for themselves...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  19. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    I like them as well.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like stated above, you might want to make the silver box around the "G1" bigger not just for G2, but if BW, RID, AEC, etc ever get books.. it'd be GREAT to continue the series of these do well.

• Like Like x 2