"Unlike the constant reboots of the 2000's"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chopperface, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Folks, I was reading TF: Prime's continuity page on TF Wiki. They said that Hasbro wants this continuity to last as long as G1, "unlike the constant reboots of the 2000s".

We had Robots in Disguise, the Unicron Trilogy, the Bayfilms, and Animated as the main reboots all during the 2000s. Each incarnation brought something new to the table, and was a fresh start. TF Wiki sorta sounded like the constant reboots were a bad thing to me.

Sure, it's good for Hasbro trying to have Prime be a stable ground for Transformers for a good long while... but was the past decade of reboots neccesarily a bad thing?

Has the past decade been good for Transformers? But discuss away the past decade, the highs and lows.

There probably was a thread like this when the new decade started back in January. But I'm just thinking about it now, after reading what it said on TF Wiki.

EDIT: Whoops. I meant to say, "I don't think it was bad."

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know last decade was a real mix up.

Even if the longest reboot aka Unicron Trilogy was horrible IMO, the good we had was extremely good. Along with the bad toys we had the good ones, along with the weak shows we had the good ones, I guess that just like every franchise we had a balance of high and lows.

Do I think the last decade was a bad one? Probably not, even if it made me abandon the franchise with the animes they also brought me back in 2007, so overall I''d say I'm pretty satisfied with how 2000 to 2010 went for TF and I also believe the variety is what made the last decade different from the others.

Tho it's now time to try and see what just can we do with a main continuity for a good chunk of time with the modern continuity so I'm also interested about how that will play like.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I only had two highlights when it came to TF series, Beast Macines and Animated. I dont see how alot of it was a fresh start. BW/BM was a fresh start, it had new factions and characters. RID, the A/E/C, the movies, and Animated all feature the G1 factions and pretty much same characters. Out of them the only thing really different was Animated. Prime was a nobody, Megatron did kill Starscream, then had a Megatron that challeges BW Megatron as the greatest.

Instead of going on what Beast Wars done and had every future series with something new for the next generation of fans. Instead I see polls about "Which Optimus Prime is the best", "Which Starscream was the best", "What Optimus Prime death hit you the most?". I wish there could had been one Optimus Prime, one Optimus Primal, one this leader, one this leader, ect.

Being honest the last decade for me was the dark times. Even during the Beast Era, G1 characters got mention. Yet on Cybertron when we had an entire planet of beast transformers, no Maximal or Predacons at all. It wasnt until Animated that I finally got to see something from that era on TV. Even now with Transformers Prime, even with a new army of drones, the Vehicon name is still out of action.

I do hope Transformers Prime does good, I hope it becomes the next Beast Wars and Animated. But I also hope its spin off series will bring something new, and not just another modified version of G1. I really would love to have the Autobots and Decepticons park for awhile.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    All that matters to me is that a continuity should not be short enough to leave viewers disappointed, and should not be so long that it gets stale.

5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Live action transformers will have been a pretty lengthy continuity after the next movie comes and goes. We've been getting about two years per movie- you could call that 6 years of one story and toy line continuing.

How long did the G1 continuity go on for? I know I didn't keep buying it (as a kid) for 6 years.

6. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    This decade was a success.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Seeing as the franchise went from a niche property with dwindling audiences to a massive pop-culture resurgence with multiple video games, two blockbuster hollywood movies, and at least double the toy releases than (probably) the 15 years preceeding it, I wouldn't say the 2000s were hard on the transformers franchise. I mean, come on, look at the 90s by comparison.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Early in the 00's, it became a bit of a Charlie-Foxtrot, we had an anime series, and a larger series that had collaboration on both sides of the Pacific. I honestly feel that Japan kinda screwed up TFs when they had a touch on it. Beast Wars, Bayformers and Animated were all North American, we got shit done, and right with our stuff. When Japan got BW, they turned it into a retard-fest where Depthcharge sings folk songs, Bayformers they didn't get to tamper with (I'm assuming), and they decided to turn Animated into a movie tie-in.

Ever since '07 with the Bayformers, Hasbro's been getting rich, and we've been getting pretty good stuff (even if you're drinkin' Hateorade against ROTF, it's still brought us more quality stuff than RID or A/E/C did).

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As much as I loved the idea of one continuous continuity like G1, I actually like the reboots. Sure it was good for G1 because I liked G1. I can't imagine Cybertron going on and on and on. The reboots mean that if something comes along that I don't like, something I do like could come next.

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Out of that whole decade, only in the last 3 years did they produce anything worth a damn.

I'm not complaining. I think it's always going to be difficult to sustain interest in Transformers, and sometimes you just have to let the field lie fallow. Those wilderness periods help build the hunger. Which is always a factor in generating excitement. And then it's comeback time.

There'll always be reboots. They're vital for the franchise to have longevity. What we don't need to see are a bunch of false starts.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'm in-between here. I mean, sure most of the stuff we got in the past 10 years was mostly mediocre because of the reboots(or in the case of Energon, total suckage of a cartoon), but I don't want Prime to last anywhere NEAR as long as G1 did. Looking back at the latter figures in the line, it was like the designers were trying to reinvent the wheel with all the gimmicks. Sure, having a transfoming head was neat, but that's more or less ALL that a headmaster could do other than transform with a little effort. And then we got Action Masters, who for the most part didn't even do the action that formed the franchise's name!

I also wish that it was Animated who was getting the long running period instead. That show would have been so damn epic if the almanacs are to be believed.

QFT. I STILL don't understand how the Japanese decided that Animated would make a great prequel to the movie when the only Character who even shares design cues is Blackout (and he was in Season 3, Episode 1, for all of a minute).

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    They were mediocre because they were mediocre, not because of the reboots. They got rebooted for being mediocre, and if TFP proves to be inferior, then it should be rebooted too.

And I agree with your assessment of G1. It wasn't gold for the whole run. They spent a lot of those years basically jumping the shark. Again and again. It was like they were making a concerted effort to bastardise the concept. They couldn't have done much worse if they had been deliberately trying to destroy it.

But I do think that you can explore ideas in a long running series that can't be done with constant reboots. It'll allow them to move beyond the standard TF stuff most are used to, and broaden the canvas. Some thought the early episodes of TFA were a bit slow, but I felt they really did an excellent job of laying the foundations for a show that could have been epic in scope. It would've been a hell of a lot of fun exploring all the angles in that universe.

13. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like lengthy continuity I can sink my teeth into. But nowadays it's hard to achieve that. Most tv cartoon shows tend to be self contained and have endings that can't be followed on from or the next season ignores it or does a time jump and ignores the continuity.

I would very much like multiple seasons where no unicron or god level destruction happens. Just two sides fighting a few power ups here and there.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

As far as the "constant reboots" quote goes, I think that was pointed more towards other franchises. Ninja Turtles, GIJoe, He-Man, and numerous others have seen a reboot within the past decade. And neither of those seem to have gained much success, keeping primarily to niche nostalgic groups.

Unless the article where the quote was taken from implies more than that and actually mentions "reboots" from within the franchise, then I'm mistaken.

15. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Constant reboots isn't negative, it's a fact there were four different continuities introduced during the 2000s: RiD, UT, Movies and Animated. Prime will probably be longer than those because the show itself is planned for four seasons, and considering this is a show for Hasbro's own channel, there's little reason to reboot with the next show, so already it would be longer than UT.

This quote is from TFW2005's interview with Aaron Archer and Matt Tieger:
    Since then, we now know Prime and WFC are connected through Exodus, which took the G1 story of WFC and incorporated the Prime show bible and all the other continuities it references (the 13, the Quintessons, the AllSpark, the colonies of Velocitron and Gigantion and the long lost art of space bridges). The confrontation between Optimus and Megatron in the game referencing their past was probably Hasbro's suggestion to tie the show and game.

16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hm... what other show was planned for 4 seasons? Hehe

I don't see the idea of having one long continuity as a bad thing. G1, BW and BM were all in one continuity that lasted from 1984 to 2000. Different flavors for each show, but all sharing the same basic history.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the reboots haven't been a bad thing.

It provides a jumping on point for people who might not have been keeping up with Transformers. If there is something you don't like there was no feeling that you would be stuck with it forever. Given the cast size of most series it also meant that characters who would have had a chance to shine were given a chance.

Yea it should be fun to follow Transformers Prime for a while but given how the animation style cuts into how many characters they can do at some point I'm going to be wanting the characters that never show up. G1 just had way more characters over it's run than anything is going to give us.

Oh and reboots mean that characters don't have to stay dead forever. Just because Jazz is dead in the movies or Prowl in Animated that doesn't keep them off the potential list for Transformers Prime if Hasbro can afford them.

18. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of reboots.... i'd rather they go the Japanese exclusive road!

Headmasters to Masterforce

Yeah, Chromedome appeared for a minute but it was nice of them to acknowledge the previous series...

Masterforce to Victory

God Ginrai has a decent role in this series. He shows up, saves Star Saber and I won't spoil the rest of those of you that haven't seen the show. Perceptor, Wheeljack, and Minerva also make an appearance in the show.

So... Prime doesn't have to be a direct sequel to anything but afterwards, maybe the next series could reference this shows events in some way?

Granted, these shows are not written for us so it really doesn't matter either way for me.

BUT, acknowledging a previous series is a good way of grabbing the older kids who grew up on Transformers:2c: . Hell, it worked on me! Once I saw Unicron's Head on Beast Wars, the show sucked me in:thumbs2: .

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Aye yie yie...
    Look, Mat Tieger stated (and we can use our own eyes to see) that WFC is a G1 re-telling... and Hasbro just wants to use it for marketing PRIME. Exodus is simply a way to try to retcon 1 into the other.

Visual styles alone will tell you that. The only way tying 1 into another is to completely dis-regard the visuals and only read written words where no visuals need apply.

I will bet a box of donuts that in any flashbacks in PRIME going back to the days of the Great War, we will NOT see anything resembling WFC.

Yes, I think HASBRO is full of crap and think that they are trying to shoe-horn one TF continuity into another for marketing purposes only... and no I'm not the type of person who think that the sky is actually red because some HASBRO rep might say it is at some convenion.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    A reboot every couple of years makes sense in the short term, but out of that you get mediocrity. You make fans for the short term, but always gamble on alienating them and losing them for the sake of picking up new fans for a re-boot.

Look to Prime Time programming where series can last up to 5, 6, even 7 seasons.

Frankly, I applaud the decision to make a longer series. Kids can finally grow up with a show. The sho can continually pick up new fans and the base can continually expand. I just hope that PRIME actually delivers the quality that warrants it.

QFA!

Lets admit it: Season 1 of Beast Wars wasn't much to look at... but seeing fleeting glimpses of characters like Starscream- and then Unicron- kept my intrest maintained long enough for me to get into one of the better- if not best- shows.