Universe Voyager Razorclaw. Appears likely?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimwing, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Transformers Universe Voyager Razorclaw. Here are my reasons for trusting its inevitable:

Universe Leo prime: The mold has been retooled from cybertron leobreaker to have a new head. Hasbro reps said this is a one time retooling for the universe line's ageing cybertron figures.

For cost effectiveness every new universe mold has two planned paint swap character releases. Such as Silverbolt and Darkwind. This implies that the tooling for leo prime was actually to give leobreaker a more razorclaw like head. Its a perfect head for razorclaw plus its on a lion mech body.

Also I think the online consensus for the legends leobreaker was entirely positive. G1 Predacons are popular and are perfect for the installed universe buying base.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Not a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised. I'd rather have a new mold since the Cybertron leobreaker mold isn't my favorite in the world, but if they do release it and they paint it like the legends toy I'd be interested in it.

3. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    I hope he gets a brand new mold, rather than just simple repaint of that *crappy* Leobreaker.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Interesting thought. I would have prefered that they release Lio Convy as Leo Prime.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Perhaps I'm not being direct enough...

That new headsculpt for leo prime seemes odd does'nt it? They would only green light that extra cost of processing through the department of health and safety if they had two repaints prepared for the new tooling.

Who's the con that fits.. Razorclaw.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I understood you, I just don't see it happening.

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    They'll probably do it, whether it be mass released, exclusive, or Botcon fig in the future.

8. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I was reading this thread and thought I'd have a go at recolouring a pic of Leo Prime to see what a Razorclaw repaint might look like.

Sorry I'm really bad at photoshop stuff, but you get the idea. I think the mold could work OK as Razorclaw. It's true that G1 Razorclaw had a Prime-like head with the faceplate and all that. The only thing is, the lion head on the chest doesn't really look the same, but maybe if Hasbro used a better paint scheme than me, it might look better...

Attached Files:

9. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    It would be a long shot.

10. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Doubt it. That mold was done twice in Cybertron and now in Universe. A remold doesn't equal a new mold, so, that should be the only time we see this mold in this line.

The C2/TFU2 toys that are repaint-able are the NEW molds only. Repainted figs from older lines don't count to the "get multiple use of the mold" thing because...they're already a 2nd, 3rd or 4th reuse of an older mold. That's why the Con Jets are made, to repaint into Sunstorm and TC and whatever else they want. Bolt into Dread. Etc.

Besides, what's wrong with the original TFU Razorclaw? Well, besides the fact he's not been in stores for the better part of a decade.

11. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I would've rather seen Razorclaw used for this mold than Leo Prime. So, I hope they do a repaint at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

12. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

@ Transfotaku

I don't see why a retooling of an older mold is so different to an entirely new mold, in terms of how likely it is that it will be repainted. They still have to pay for the retooling, even if it's just the head. One would assume that it would cost less simply because the head is only a small area, but I don't actually know how much it costs. It may be almost as expensive for them to alter even a small area of the original mold, or they may have to do costly maintenance on the old mold just to get it in a working state again.

Also, even if the cost wasn't comparable to making an entirely new mold, you can imagine how in corporate Hasbro-land, they would try to get back as much as they possibly can from anything they have to spend on making something new. Just because it's an old Cybertron figure with a new head, it doesn't mean that they won't try to sell it to people again and again, if they think it would make a profit. Just to make Leo Prime, they obviously think that it's a decent enough toy to sell to a whole new generation of kids. The main reason why they don't just keep selling say, G1s forever, is because they don't think todays kids would accept that kind of toy anymore... not because they have an aversion to making money with the least amount of effort.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm relatively sure that We will see Razorclaw out of this mold, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if:

* It does not appear until Universe returns post-movie
    (and/or)
    * It is an exclusive item (store or even convention exclusive)

(negated if an all-new-mold Razorclaw is revealed though :)  )

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  14. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I could see them doing that since I saw Universe Leo Prime for the first time.
    Razorclaw would look much better than Leo Prime (Colours just don't suit him), anyone else agree?

15. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I wouldn't count out a repaint of Leo Prime as Razorclaw. The remolded head makes the mold look a little more like him and the colors they would probably use would work on that mold like Galva-Cannon showed. If I remember right Razorclaw was a repaint of Leobreaker in some comic, club maybe. It isn't like the Voyager class hasn't had a Cybertron figure repainted twice already anyway. SD Scattershot was repainted into both Dropshot and Overload after all.

16. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I'd prefer new molds for any updates of iconic and popular combiner characters, but I do understand the logic for Hasbro to repaint and release this toy as Universe Razorclaw. The mold and the new head do fit the character.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Leobreaker-as-Razorclaw design first appeared in the comic that went with the Botcon 2006 "Beast Wars before they were Beasties" set.

18. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

A simple retooling to an older mold is far far cheaper to do than a brand new mold. You skip every single step up to the mold (designs, models, prototypes, tests, etc). It's also part of the budget. Hasbro has a certain budget for the toys, and if they can fit a remold into it, there you go, remold.

It's only marginally more expensive to do a remold+repaint than it is to do a repaint (which is more expensive than you'd think).

Further, Hasbro doesn't make its money for what's sold off the shelf. It makes its money by having the stuff put on the shelf in the first place. The stores buying the toys to sell to us are what gives Hasbro its money. So, either Hasbro had enough pre-sells to warrant it, enough people saying they'd want to sell it (Hasbro sells the toys to the stores way ahead of time), or enough stores asking for something to sell (Wal-Mart exclusives, usually) to make it very worthwhile to remold.

Hasbro knows what it's doing.

Making the Prime head remold? Cheap. They probably just used Classics Voyager Prime's head. Putting the old head back on the toy, or a new head onto it? Might not be worthwhile. And I can pretty much guarantee that Hasbro doesn't want just any Decepticon guy to have a Prime head, that's for Nemesis Prime (and RiD Scourge) only really.

So: Leo Prime, cheap. Razorclaw, not as cheap. Maybe financially worthless to them.

Also, while the CD Scattorshot double use is true, it doesn't mean that every Cybertron mold used in TFU is going to be used twice.

So, Razorclaw from Leobreaker? If it didn't happen already, the chances of it happening now are very slim.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Remolding the head into Prime might be just the justification they need for the remold. I'm sure Primes outsell other figures so the amount he'll sell will cover the costs of the remold without needing for repaints.

20. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    New head.

IF Hasbro were to release a Universe Razorclaw, it would be a straight repaint of Leo Prime. A repaint is obviously cheaper than a retool - you even said it yourself. So, Razorclaw would actually be cheaper.

The costs for the retooling of this mold were payed for with Leo Prime. :)