Heavy/Scratch: Universe Soundwave WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Kouri, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Sorry for being away for so long. Between the end of school, and my computer blowing up shortly after, I haven't been doing much posting. Managed to nab rinky-dink laptop to lurk a good deal, though. ^^

Aaaanywho, I was messing with my Movie Ironhide, trying to work out a decent Nemesis Prime out of him. After modifying the chest some, I realized he'd make a good Trailbreaker instead.

Aaaanywho, I liked the way the modified chest swung down like a Hummer. It also reminded me of Soundwave's cassette door. Well, we all know what the back of Ironhide's head looks like, and my dad brought me an Offroad Ironhide he picked up on his way down to Florida. Blue alt mode + Soundwave head = duh. XD A bunch of mods later, and all I've got to do is slap on a bit more epoxy and get ready for pre-paint sanding.

[ATT]9438[/ATT]

[ATT]9439[/ATT]

EDIT: Here are a few shots of Soundwave's ball-jointed waist. A nice trick I found when working on my Universe Jazz (I'll snap some photos when I swap out his claws for hands) was that hinges make for good ball sockets. So a bit of pin knocking and dremeling, and I've got a nice socket worked out. I was still waiting for the epoxy on the ball post to cure for these shots, but you can see the extra ball-joint in place to prove the concept.

[ATT]9324[/ATT]

[ATT]9325[/ATT]

EDIT: Aaaand here goes Buzz's current progress! ^^

[ATT]9397[/ATT]

[ATT]9407[/ATT]

EDIT: Well, Buzzsaw's birdie parts are all set. Just need to rework the back window to look more like a weapon and then peg it onto Buzz's back for some added firepower.

[ATT]9440[/ATT]

[ATT]9441[/ATT]

[ATT]9442[/ATT]

[ATT]9443[/ATT]

Attached Files:

2. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

I like the chest Mod

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice. You simplified that mold. I transformed Ironhide once and never did again. It was a harrowing experience.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    interesting. if you could make it unfurl into a bird that'd be cool, but don't see that being easy at all.

5. luke4

luke4 crocon

agreed.. it would be a cool lazerbeak though..

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That looks nice Kouri....looks a lot better with the chest like that.

As far as the cab part, I like the idea of having it tf into one of his minions....hope you can pull it off :thumb 

Just keep looking at it, and try and visualize what you want it to do....REDLINE is right, it'll take some work, but you've got skill ;) 

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I would be inclined to just keep the back kibble myself. Wouldn't it be embarrassing for Soundwave to have to transform while Laserbeak's on a mission, and end up as a truck with no cab? :) 

Nice idea, and a good use of the blue Ironhide repaint. It's so obvious I'm amazed it never occurred to me.

I'm really curious what you did to mod the hood to fold down that way. Care to share the steps? :) 

zmog

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Hood's easy as pie. Cut the hood pieces from the chest (if you're unsure where to cut, knock out the pins holding the hood to the chest - you'll see where the clearance issues are). From there, peg the hood pieces back into the bumper. Only difference now is you don't rotate the chest to transform him. I'll try and get better pictures later.

As for the cab, I spent FOREVER last night trying to figure out a simple way to get the doors to turn into wings. If it's gonna happen, it'll take effort. @.@ I might as well go for Ravage. XP

Speaking of Lazerbeak though, didn't someone turn Alt Prime's engine/gun into a cassette bird for an Alt Soundwave? I've got a spare gun I'd love to stow in Soundwave's chest that could pop out all cassette-deck-style. X3

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    PKs has the car doors pop onto the gun, and the gun has a head that folds underneath as well as feet. the sword makes the tail.

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    As spiffy as that one looks, I try to limit my part-forming to accessories such as armor and weaponry.

However, taking PK's advice on visualizing sort of helped. I kept playing with the cab and found an awesome transformation that'll work without too much effort. The windshield folds flat as the tail, the window in back folds down to become the breast, and the doors can fold out as wings. I'll just need some balljoints to change the connection of the doors to the rear window. I should have just enough room to fit in a head and some legs.

I am oh so excited. X3

EDIT: Oh my, if things work out, 'Beak might be able to fold back into a flying backpack for 'Wave. o.o

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hehehe yep!

12. luke4

luke4 crocon

to make lazerbeak flip the cab put hings on the doors so the become wings and make a fold out head and tail..

13. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Like the chest, I can imagine all kinds of minions springing out from it!! A:thumbs2: nd I say kibble backpack is okay!!

14. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

This is going to be awesome. My only suggestion is to add a mouthplate.

15. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Mouthplate? o.o Now that you mention it, a more detailed mouth guard would probably look tons better. Off to the FIXIT-Sculpt! XP

Aaanywho, a few pics of the in-progress bird bot.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's cool to see a thread like this where someone posts a really cool project, others chime in, and the artist steps back and has a "wow, that'd be REALLY cool! I'm gonna try it" moment. Threads like this remind me what being a Radicon is all about :) 

I'm glad to see someone take that blue Ironhide and do something cool with it! This is really shaping up! I'd still say that the robot parts aesthetic more allude to being a "movie" custom though, unless you're associating "Universe" with the line being a melting pot of all of the other lines.

Regardless, you're doing great work! I'm glad to see you being able to post, as computer troubles aren't cool :) 

17. big hank

News Credits:
    Bird-bot is SWEETNESS!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs2: Grab a real gear Booster and add the legs and head and your almost home!! That's what I did for my Payload to Soundwave bash. This is gonna be great, keep us updated!!

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats looking great Kouri....glad I could offer some help. :thumb 

As far as joints, Lego's can be your friends :D 

I like this idea even better!!....and you could even maybe use some of the leftover joints from Booster to make your bird come to life

19. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *chuckles*

I actually intended to go down to Target and nab a Real Gear Nightbeat for parts - but we're all out of the bird bots. -.- Still, I figure if I'm stuck with blue wings, I ought to go with a blue bot and whip up a Universe Squalktalk. Now if only I had enough leftover bits for Beastbox. . .

Also, I managed to nab the Megatron Origin compilation, and I realized that Soundwave's head is basically a blue Decepticon emblem. Lots of little details I'll need to add. ^^;

As things stand now, it looks like I'll be fabricating the bird head and legs. With some luck, I might be able to hide a lot of black and red in these parts and pull off a convincing Laserbeak.

As for placing this under "Universe," I always thought that some of the earlier figures (Classics Camaro BB, Wreckage, and Ironhide) had a simpler, boxier aesthetic to them that allowed them to mesh nicely in with the Classics figures. For that reason, I'm using them for my personal Camshaft, Warpath, and Trailbreaker. All I really need to do to Soundwave is sculpt over those toes and make 'em into one solid foot block. I might also consider filling in and boxy-ing his forearms.

Speaking of Trailbreaker, a package arrived today. I'll be heading to the office tomorrow to pick it up. If it's the Swindle I ordered, I'll chop the head off and try to get some photos of my Universe Trailbreaker in progress. X3

EDIT: Aaaaand I apparently forgot to drill a hole into one of the ballposts. When tightening the joint, one of the poor guy's wings snapped off. . .

Ah well, the articulation was kind of bad on it anyhow. Back to the drawing board.

20. big hank

News Credits:
    Real gear boosters have black heads and feet, so they should work if you can find one. As an alternative you can nab a Target Master gun called sights off ebay, he was Jackpot's weapon. No feet but has a small blue bird head and blue "feathered" wingtips. I am using one for, well..........something!!:wink: 

And don't sweat the broken joint! Cyanoacrylate glue (Superglue) and accelerator can fix just about anything, believe me :rolleyes: !!

edit: I double checked tfu.info and Sights does come with blue feet, I guess just not the won I scored off ebay. :sly2: 

I looked on the 'bay, here is an item # for a sights, 360035941251 so you can see if it will work!