Universe Smokescreen is here!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bluestreak76, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I was in my Super Wal-Mart today around 1pm hoping to pick up a spare Univ. Starscream and found not only Starscream but Smokescreen and Dinobot as well!

I wasn't impressed with Cheetor so I didn't get Dinobot...(I grew up with the Autobots/Decipticons in the 80's anyhow). BUT I sure as heck got Smokescreen. LOL Wal-Mart made me nervous because Smokescreen was NOT in their system. They called 3 diff employees with various diff codes and could still get no price to pop up. Eventually they keyed him in as a generic Transformer for the same price as the Universe Starscream I bought....whew!

All I can say is that he is actually rather impressive for a repaint. ALSO before anyone asks, it seems Hasbro has wised up on the paint problems that plagued the last 2 of this mold. They seemed to have switched to some kinda new high gloss paint app. Any of you that have Hound...its the same kinda paint they used for his windshield that is on the doors/sidepanels and top of Smokescreen. So really out of the 3 that have used this mold, Smokescreen is the most impressive so far. He could use some minor detailing to break up the large amount of red and grey plastic but other than that he is very cool. His QC seems very good too!

The QC was good here too... He's very solid with tight joints and good solid car and bot modes. 9/10!

Sorry for the photos, I just snapped a couple quick ones on my RAZR but here they are anyhow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Dinobot and Smokey have been out at Targets for... what, maybe two weeks now? But you do have the first regular Wal-Mart sighting, setting aside that oddball one a little while back...

What state?

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Congrats on your pickup...are you sure your camera wasn't a polaroid?? just kidding. Can't wait to get mine.

4. Bluestreak76

Iowa! Found em at the Ames, Iowa Wal-Mart Super Center^^

I knew he's been out for a bit now lol but this is the first I've seen him heh.

G1 was one of my favs, I have the 1st release of the Alternator Smokescreen, and now this^^

5. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I spotted him at walmart a couple of days ago. Passed since I preordered the henkei one. Glad you found something you wanted.

6. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    spotted 2 of him and 2 dinobots at the WM in College Station today as well.

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Had an employee open a box on a pallet for me at Walmart in Neptune, NJ, and there was Smokescreen and Dinobot, along with Cyclonus, Starscream and Hound. There was only one Cyclonus in the box and I grabbed it, but I left the rest. This was right before closing, so for any Jersey TFW members, if you head to the Neptune Walmart tomorrow, you'll probably find them on the shelf.

8. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome. I cant wait to find this guy.

9. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Hasbro just dropper the ball on Smokecreen and Dinobot badly....man, i actually know i'd rather have Henkei Smokescreen(if i get him though the chrome gets repainted asap) don't know about Dinobot since we havn't seen final pics of him yet right?

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Big mistake.

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, Dinobot's not perfect, but he's better than Cheetor, at least when it comes to kibbley bits.

12. fa11enwing

fa11enwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was trying to pick up smokescreen and dinobot today after saw them at my local target the other day. All sold out! x_x

Soon my pretties... soon..

13. Bluestreak76

I think I saw like 10 episodes of BW total...was never into it as much as I was G1 and recently Animated so eh if I get Dinobot, np otherwise the Wal-Mart price are back up to $9.96 so Im not gonna worry about Beastwars remakes atm.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I actually picked up my Smokescreen around noon yesterday at my nearest Target. Love it.

Passed on the Dinobot, though. Not a BW fan.

15. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

I have a some probs with the toy.

1-The car doors always pop off when I transform him, not because the joints are loose, but it's hard to maneuver the doors out of the way during transformation.

2-The turtle neck look. From certain angles the robot mode looks great, but at other angles, it looks like his head is positioned way above his shoulders.

3-The clear windshield. I would much rather have dark plastic used for the windshield to cover up the missile launchers inside. Ruins the illusion.

4-The painted dark blue "back window." Would have been nice to use the same plastic as for the other windows.

5-The color scheme is kind of weird to me in car mode. In robot mode he looks great.

Otherwise he has great articulation, even if the shoulder area feel a little bit loose.

I'd give it a 7/10.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    saw a Smokescreen at a walmart in Dothan.
    he was all alone with nothing but Animated Jazz figures and a Shadow Blade Megatron.

But the walmart closest to me looks like f-in hell.

Looks worse than it did the first week or so in January.

they have nothing on the shelves right now. well, they had about 8 Oil Slicks they used to cover up as much space as possible.
    Have to hold off on smokey anyway, so i will get him later.
    nice score for you, though. good job.

17. lobsterclaw

Has anyone ever tried to paint in clear plastic? I am considering painting the windows of Smokescreen because for some reason seeing the shoulder mounted launchers through the clear windshield really bugs me more than it probably should.

I just fear the results would be even worse if I painted it.

18. lobsterclaw

deleted.

19. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

I've gone to my TRU twice in the past week and it's the same 4 guys: cheetah, dinobot, smokescreen, and dreadwing. 2x smokescreen - both of them have really visible paint issues, both on the door that's visible - it's like they didn't fully spray the door all the way - you can see the paint spray die out as you hit the part of the door where the handle is. Sad. And overspray on both on the tail end of the car around the lights, so i skipped getting him. 1x dreadwing - love the plane form, but the robot form doesn't look anything special to me, so also didn't get that. Then you have like a billion cheetors and dinobots - no one in sunnyvale apparently wants anything to do with them, cuz they're not moving at all. Ton of them at all the Targets and TRU's i've been to.