Universe Smokescreen and Red Alert possibility?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MST3KFan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    After recently buying Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker and seeing the obvious upcoming repaints of Bluestreak (Silverstreak) and Sideswipe to come...

What does everyone think our chances of seeing Universe versions of Smokescreen and Red Alert as well with these molds is?

It'd be an easy mold re-use but given Hasbro's refusal to make seekers Thundercracker, Thrust, and Dirge, instead them being pricey Botcon exclusives...

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say good chance for store exclusives.

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I can see it happening, but we might have to wait a couple months into 2009. If we absolutely HAD to have a deluxe Red Alert and they didn't want to re-use the Lambo mold so fast I wouldn't mind them repainting Cybertron Hotshot ala the recent Legends Red Alert figure. Though following previous Hasbro logic, we might have to wait a while for Red Alert, what with Prowl still shipping and all I doubt they'd want two predominantly white rescue sports cars.

Speaking of which, I also wouldn't mind a repaint of Universe Hotshot as that canceled Battle in a Box Smokescreen repaint from way back during Energon... Hopefully Fast Action Battler Smokescreen's shelf warming-ness won't affect either possible repaint.
    DN

4. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    That is possible. I remember they did a TF movie figure (kinda) of Smokescreen done up in his G1 colors and stuff, which is what I'd want him to be colored as if made in Universe style since he was one of my favorite G1 TFs back in the day.

And I know they have the rights to use both names since having used them in a number of things previously.

Don't let us down Hasbro! XD

If they make a Trailbreaker, we could get a Hoist. Make an Inferno, we could get a Grapple....heh...dreaming again probably though. ^_^;

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I think that Smokescreen is forthcoming. Not sure about Red Alert though.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    At Botcon one of the Hasbro panel mentioned that Smokescreen's deco was a favourite of someone high up in marketing, enough that it is usually a good one to bet on.

I would think we'll see a two pack like the Classics ones. Possibly an "Autobot Heroes" set with Smokescreen and Red Alert at Wal Mart or Target. Or even two VS packs, maybe a Smokescreen VS show-accurate Astrotrain repaint based on the classic episode "The Gambler" and a Red Alert VS generic Decepticon jet or something. No real pairings for Red Alert come to mind.

7. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I'm a huge fan of both Seekers and Red Alert.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, as long as both aren't Walmart or Botcon Exclusives, I'll be happy. If store exclusives, Target would be preferred. I have nothing against Botcon, but if I have the option of getting them from a store instead of from a convention, I'd go with the store. They wouldn't be all that hard to make. Smokescreen would be a simple repaint of Silverstreak, and Red Alert would basically be a repaint of Sideswipe with the addition of a light bar to the roof of his alt-mode. Red Alert vs one of the other Rainmakers and Smokescreen vs the third Rainmaker would make great 2-packs, imo, and I would definetly buy both of them.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    As easy repaint/ slight remold fodder it would be a no brainer, but we'll see I suppose. I really hope we see both of them on shelves whether mass release or store exclusives.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Red Alert and Ratchet in an "Autobot Fire and Rescue" set. And that would help distinguish Universe Ratchet from his Animated version.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I would love a Universe Smokescreen made from the Prowl/Bluestreak mold. Right now I'm making due with Cybertron Smokescreen, but I really hate the Crosswise mold.

12. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    That sounds like a good idea.

13. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:

Same here. I want to be able to find them (Wal-Mart) and afford them. (Botcon) So I'd rather see them as a reqular release or as a store exclusive of some kind. Maybe a Battlepack like the the ones they have for Star Wars and G.I.Joe.

14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    these are my 2 favorite versions of the molds in question, so i really, really hope they do 'em.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    do want

16. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

My plan is to buy an extra prowl, and an extra sideswipe. JUST in case they don't do red alert and smokescreen. That way it'll be quite easy to make the two if they aren't released, and if they ARE released I can always sell the extra prowl and sideswipe. Not gonna repeat the same mistake I made with the seekers and not buy enough starscreams, and end up having to pay rediculous prices on evilbay.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Would love to see a Smokescreen, it's weird like Dirge he's probably one of my favourite secondary TF characters, there's just hardly been a toy done of this guy I really dont like save maybe the Armada one.

18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 2-packs are a great idea, though I'd rather just have them either be separate or one 2-pack w/Red & Smokescreen. for Red's 2-pack I can see him being packaged with Classics Starscream(maybe a more show-accurate version) like in the episode "Auto-Beserk"

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The only issue with making Red Alert an exclusive is the new tooling I could see them doing for the light bar. Albeit it would just be the one piece that forms the torso armor on the Sunstreaker robot form like how the one piece on the Prowl mold was designed to have the lightbar remolded off for later releases. Unless if they do him without a lightbar, but whatever.
    DN

20. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i would imagine they probably thought this one out (as well thought out as Sunstreaker-to-Sideswipe was) maybe just a light bar that glues into the supercharger holes on the roof?