Heavy/Scratch: Universe Skyfire - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I wanted to share up something else I've been working in recent weeks. I love Classics Jetfire, but can't stand the way his wings look and I miss that fast pack he had in the toon, so I decided to hack away at it all and kill Jetfire so that Skyfire can be born. The wing setup on Jetfire makes him look like a butterfly when they're all folded up and out--just not feeling that, so I cut the wings off and attached them to the fast pack. I shaved off the pegs that held the fast pack to the middle connector thing. I then glued the connected fast pack to the middle connector so that it can still snap onto his back. I cut the main wings off just above the pin so that they still swing in and out. I then attached them to the fast pack and snap the fast pack in upside down (to give it that G1 look--the large black boosters now face up). This looks better to me and it allows the wings to fold up better and look more G1 (no more butterfly look). I also did the leg extension that SMOG shared over in Radicons a long while back--this added some height and that coupled with the new wing setup makes him look taller and leaner than the squatty old Jetfire. Skyfire is born!

I'm thinking of making a mini-tutorial on how to go about doing this for those that want a more G1/toon inspired Skyfire. Since these were taken, I've painted some gloss white on the wings in the final picture below to give it a thinner red stripe on them and I adjusted the fast pack a bit (it looks like it stands a bit taller on his back now, but not much).

(still a WIP--but not much left to do)

Attached Files:

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Whoa,I love it!

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Not bad.

I personally don't mind the "butterfly" look that much, though this is the first I've seen of that leg/height extension. I might be doing that myself.

4. Necro

Necro Member

Ebay:
    I really like what you did with Jetfire. I'm working on my Treadbolt and for the last three weeks I've had him without his wings. So if you can PLEASE, PLEASE make a tutorial or can you help me with my wing?

5. grufflock

grufflock Banned

If you could do a tutorial on how you did that, it would be great. Really looking forward to seeing that.
    Great job sir!

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    That's truly awesome.

7. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, bro!

Thanks, man--the "butterfly" look was ok, but I wanted something that was more G1-styled, with the wings more like the 'toon Jetfire. So I went with it and ended up loving it. I'll PM you with two links to that leg/height extension--one from SMOG here in Radicons and another over on another TF forum. It's fairly easy to do and it really makes a huge difference with just that little bit of added height.

Thanks, man--I'll see what I can do. I've been kinda swamped with some personal and S70 site stuff lately, but I'll try to whip up a short tutorial on the wing and fastpack stuff. It's fairly easy if you follow the photos and see where I cut (I just cut the wings like you see above and swapped them--the left wing went to the right side and the right wing went left).

Thanks bro--I'll see what I can do. Just replied above about everything going on, but it's really fairly easy. I'll try to get something together soon for you guys interested in seeing it.

Thanks, NP!

8. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

I heart this. You just made me realize those butterfly wings and its ridiculousness. Looking forward to the tutorial so I may attempt this as well!

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that is all kinds of sexy!

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That is just awesome. I was wondering if there was a way to make him more Skyfire like.

What leg extension mod?

11. Sharkysharky

Sharkysharky Well-Known Member

Tutorial please, I'm begging !

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    The wings look great too. Could you post some side pics in robot mode to show how the wings are positioned?

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow! I like it!

I'm proud to know I had some influence on this piece... it looks like you managed to jack his legs up even a little more than I did. I'm not sure about merging the two ramjets into one fastpack... might be better to just build/find a substitute. But the Skyfire resemblance is coming along nicely. Panel lines look awesome too btw. :) 

I'm a Jetfire man myself, but considering Jetfire is just a Macross Valkyrie, which is already an incredibly iconic mecha on it's own terms, I like the idea of merging the two designs into something unique. Plus this Classics Jetfire design was desperately in need of some improvement. The proportions and articulation always struck me as a bit lazy.

I salute you!

zmog

14. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, guys! I'll work on a tutorial soon for this (I won't show the leg mods out of respect to SMOG, since he did the word-based tutorial on this a long while back--if it's cool with him, then I'll add it in and show some pics on how to go about it).

Thanks again for the leg mod info, SMOG! Doing that is what pushed me into wanting to make this sucker better and more like ol' Skyfire. As for the fastpack/backpack, I'm actually liking it as-is, BUT I'm considering covering the gaps with some thin sheet styrene (I'd fill the gaps with sculpting putty, but I think it might add too much weight--as it stands, he can be tipped over kinda easily--which is another reason this is still in the WIP stages). I'm thinking I'll leave the bottom section as-is (the section above the head in bot mode--already painted the white stripes across it to see how it looked and it really looks pretty nice).

Been busy lately, but I'll try to do more on this and get a tutorial for the wings and fastpack/backpack done soon. Thanks again for the support on this, fellas!

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

By all means, post the leg-extension tutorial if you've got pics. I wasn't taking pictures of the stages when I first did it, but some images would probably help people realize what an easy mod it is. Go for it! :thumbs2: 

zmog

16. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Sounds good, man--will do! (when time permits, of course)......RL sucks sometimes when you just want to play with your toys. lol

17. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Would you mind PMing me with the 2 links for the leg/height extension too? I did the same thing with my Jetfire's backpack a while ago and I'd also like to do the wing mod you did as well. All you do then for it is simply cut them off as you did to yours as in your pic then re-glue them on opposite sides?

18. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the leg extension is nice? if you could post it here that would be fine?

if it's okay with you, smog :) 

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks for the interest, guys. SMOG already mentioned that it's cool to post it here with some pics to show you guys what he did, so I'll try to get that done soon. Been busy here on the homefront and I'm busting my rear to get more done on my Classics Prime and Megatron customs (Prime you've seen, Megs not so much). Hope to drop some old WIP of Megatron soon. I'll try to get this done soon, since there seems to be a lot of interest in not only the leg mods that SMOG did, but also the wing and fastpack/backpack mods I did.

Hang in there, guys--I'll get to it soon.

20. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    *double post*