Minor/Repaint: Universe Sideswipe - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Jul 26, 2008.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Since I don't care for the new head sculpt that they're doing for Sideswipe in the Universe/Classics line, I thought I'd give it a go at doing one that resembled his old G1 style more. This is still a WIP, though the head is pretty much done (barring another light coat of paint). The body has been painted with a few thin layers (by brush). All that is basically needed on this is a mod I'm working on for a possible shoulder cannon (similar to what he had in G1) and for final painting. The paint is still rough at the moment, but you get the overall feel for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'll post more closeups of the head once I take them.

Here's what I had to say about him in my Jazz WIP thread on S70 (since I'm lazy and don't want to type it again)-lol:

Sideswipe - I'll snap some pics of this when I snap the new Jazz WIP stuff. Sideswipe is still in the WIP stages at the moment. I've complete gutted the Sunstreaker "horns" from his head, cut small pieces of them off to fill the void and build the head up a bit (basically to cover the gaping holes on both sides of the head). I've done "the swap" so that he now transforms as the new Universe Sideswipe will. But the best part about it all is the head (keep your minds outta the gutter--lol). I've taken the gutted Sunstreaker head and cut very small bits of styrene sheet (very thin sheets) and pretty faithfully recreated a G1 Sideswipe head by adding a mixture of thin styrene strips and sheets to the forehead and sides of the head. I had to check to make sure it would still allow him to transform easy before finishing it. After that, I created the small horns/antennas that Sideswipe has with some thin styrene strips that I cut and glued together, then glued onto the head. I did some small trimming after the glue was dry and then I painted it flat black. The end result is pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

Attached Files:

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    That is exactly the head I was hoping for in the universe/classics line. Good job! I agree that the pics of what will be the official Sideswipe release doesn't look that great

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I think you have been looking at the false pics,cause the headsculpt hasbro gave him matches his G1 appearance 100%

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    cool looking at him makes me wish they had released sideswipe first

5. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I beg to differ. Take a look at the 3 new images I've added above (a pic of the original G1 Sideswipe toy and two screen captures from Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye--the original G1 3-episode arc). Take a look at those images of Sideswipe's head and tell me again that the new Universe headsculpt "matches his G1 appearance 100%".

I rest my case. ;) 

6. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

I second that ! :)  And Sideswipe is one of the best autobot fighter along side Jazz. Speed and Slick, that is what defines Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

7. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Heh! What pictures have you been looking at?

Anyhow, awesome work Punk! It has wonderful toony flavor.

8. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
  9. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Very cool work.
    The head is a hell of alot better than hasbros.
    Any plans to give him pile driver arms?

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks for the support and the extra pics, Devs and Lucs. That new head is NOT G1.

Thanks a lot, Spurt--I've considered it, but at the moment, I'm just working on the body first, then I may jump into something like that. Not sure yet though.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Hey for a shoulder cannon could you use one from Universe Prowl? Then you could make a Jazz bash out of the one cannon Prowl!!

Whatever you decide, it looks awesome so far!!:thumb 

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Dude, check out my stuff--I'm working on a Jazz as well! (been working on it on and off for about two weeks as a matter of fact--even before this sucker). lol

I've considered using that extra shoulder cannon I removed from my Jazz custom. It looks like it could work with a small mod to the bottom (so it can snap in). Only problem is it might become one of those parts that aren't a part of the alternate mode (can't really see where it could go in car mode).

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I got to say you did a kick ass job on Sideswipe.

14. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

That does look very bloody good indeed. Makes me wish I had those sort of kitbashing skills.

15. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, guys! The hardest part of doing the head was gluing my fingers to the styrene quite a bit (and even tweezers at one point). I did larger bits of styrene to build it up, then I took an X-acto knife and trimmed them down to shape what you seen.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Looks great! Better than the "official" one, which to me looks like it was retro-engineered from Alternators Sideswipe's head, rather than actually going back and looking at the original G1 version. Also, I kind of like the idea of Sideswipe and Sunstreaker having the same face, despite their different body shapes.

Also, I'm planning on altering the leg transformation too... I wonder if we have the same idea in mind? :) 

zmog

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    my question is, are you gonna keep it as Sideswipe once the Universe one is released in a coupla months?

18. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Yes. Once I decide to do a custom, I stick with it. I do it for the fun and the love of the hobby. I'll still pick up the new Sideswipe once it hits (one for the ol' collection and one for possible customs work--Red Alert, Stunticons, etc.)

19. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Stunticons woohoo!