Heavy/Scratch: Universe Scourge (Updated w/WIP shots - 10/22/09)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Jul 29, 2009.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Scourge - (3rd Place in the Sector70 "Ultimate Scourge Contest")

I created Scourge from a headless Universe Cyclonus, a Classics 2-pack Megatron (tank) head heavily modded and on both a hinge and a ball joint (allowing it to flip up in alt mode and move freely in bot mode), the hinged wings from my Titanium Scourge (along with the vent that I cut off to add to this, and the leg hinges from one of the old Energon Constructicons/Devastator figures (to help hold the hinged wings in place--and also allow them fold into various positions). I cut the upper half of the Megatron head and used styrene to build it up. I carved it, shaped it, and glued the pieces together (a lot of trial and error went into this and the entire wing assembly to have it still transform the way I wanted). I cut thin strips from a very thin sheet of styrene to create his signature beard and 'stache. I then used the top piece from Titanium Scourge to add onto this new head. I beefed up the wings with sheet styrene (both thin and mid thicknesses) and I did something I've never tried until this contest.....I scribed some panel lines into the new styrene wing sections to try and blend in better with the Titanium Scourge wings (you can see this in bot mode near the bottom). The wings wouldn't fit around the larger Cyclonus body, so I did the whole trial and error thing and realized I needed to add more styrene to bulk up the mid-section of the alt mode to cover the gap and cover the head.

I cut small pieces from tube styrene to add to the ankles (mostly for looks like some of the various artwork shows for him, but in this case, it also helps hold the new wing sections in place that I created from styrene--I carved two small grooves in both of the wings so that it snaps over the small tube styrene pieces on the legs. I then added some styrene sheets to the legs and shaped and glued them in place (I wanted to give it a more G1 look and make it different from Cyclonus. They both share a bodies that look similar through the chest, but the arms and legs are different. I also cut off the Cyclonus hands with my dremel, took the small ball cutter and created a small hole for some small Gundam fists to snap into (basically I created a ball joint socket for the hands to fit into). These still fold up into the arm just as the Cyclonus hands did. I cut tiny pieces of styrene to create the "claws" for Scourge, then hit Wal-Mart to find a pink nail polish (my fiancee helped me pick one that best resembled it). Lastly, I used the extra Nightstick Targetmaster to create Fracas for Scourge. I used a very small brush and painted the detail on his head (orange), then used a silver sharpie to do his gun barrel, arms and chest, then a flat black on the legs/crotch area. This figure still snaps into the port on the backside of the hands (the old vent/boosters). I also added to small strips of styrene to his forearms to allow him to attach to Scourge in alt mode (he snaps into the front where Scourge's feet are in alt mode). The Matrix was a repainted Cybertron Optimus Prime's Matrix originally--it was dull gray, so I repainted it to use with Galvatron, Scourge, and Prime. This has been one fun contest because not only did I get to create a cool custom and try to win, I also created a one-of-a-kind piece that fills a void on my shelf that the Titanium Scourge couldn't fill.

Enjoy! (and thanks to those that voted for my entry--this was some TOUGH A$$ competition)

Attached Files:

2. Tanukiyasha

Tanukiyasha Ancient Transformer

Ebay:
    WAY better than the botcon version! Bravo!

3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Wow, dude that is badass and using Universe Cyclonus, some styrene, and etc. you created a very cool homage to Scourge.

4. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

This is an impressive bash. He turned out really great.

5. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

glad you got something for this, as i said yours was my 2nd choice :(  he seemed too light bluey, if that was a word. but making a mold like Cyclonus' into anything took some well executed planning.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Best custom Scourge IMO. The robot mode is simply amazing.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nicely done sir. This looks incredible, it really does. I wanna steal it :) 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah, the blue could stand to be broken up a bit, but I reallylike this custom other than that, bro! Well done, and congrats :) 

9. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    very awesome Brian! it came out great! you inspired me to do my own.

10. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

3rd place is pretty impressive, no shame in that. That is one sexy Scourge, the execution to create it using all those parts and some styrene. Love the fu manchu, Fracas and pink nail polish LOL! Congratulations dude!

11. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that only got 3rd place? that's spectacular. only criticism i have is the round piece on top of his head just seems a little too big, but it doesn't take anything away from the rest of the custom

12. MALFUNCTION

MALFUNCTION Well-Known Member

Congrats Man!!! Beautiful piece of work so close to generation 1 specs just how i like em:) 

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really dig this dude, he came out spectacular. I love the way Fracas attaches in vehicle mode.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Awesome! Post him with Universe Galvatron and Cyclonus.

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Thanks, man! I like the head on that Botcon Scourge, just not so much the body. This just pushed me to get something better done to share up with everyone.

Thanks, E! Glad you like it, buddy.

Thanks, bro--I appreciate it!

Thanks, AM! I saw your comment about mine in the gallery. I'm glad you like it, man. I agree about the "bluey"--lol. I think the light was a bit bright (new natural light--mimmicks sunlight)--I didn't filter it any, just sorta lit it up. Looks better in person though. I appreciate the comments, man--once the contest hit, I searched my Japanese books, the ref galleries at S70, and I looked up at my extra Cyclonus and it hit me.

Thanks, Satomiblood! I wouldn't go that far and say that, but I'm definitely proud of what I did and actually amazed that I placed 3rd among such great customs.

Thanks, OP83! Glad you like it--but why steal it when you could buy it? ;) 

Thanks, Andy! I definitely agree on the blue--once I snapped the shots, I noticed that I could have and should have broken it up a bit more. Glad you like it, bro--means a lot comin' from you.

Glad you like it, bro! I'm also glad to see it helped inspire you to do your own. Now I'm looking forward to seeing some WIP on yours--now get busy! lol

Thanks, man! I'm pretty proud that I did something that could even place with such "greats" (Spurt & WheelJack--and I really dig what Jaf did). The head took a while to get just right--I wanted that sucker to scream SCOURGE. And the pink nail polish was a must! lol

Thanks, my friend! Glad you like it--and yeah, that round piece seemed a bit large at first, but after getting it attached and all, it grew on me and works so well.

Thanks, Mal! I'm the same way, bro--G1 all the way. Glad you like it!

Thanks, ORIO! That was something I had in mind, but it didn't really come together until near the completion of it all. I originally had planned to just have it attach like the old G1 Fracas, but then I took a day off working with it and decided that I could do something similar, yet much cooler. I really dig how it basically completes the alt mode and adds some firepower.

Thanks, Solrac! Glad you like it, man! I can post him at some point in the near future with Universe Galvatron, but Cyclonus is in the body shop getting a new paint job, so that might be a while. lol

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I really like that!

17. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

he would look great beside your custom galvatron.

excellent work, I might do this instead of spending hours looking for titanium scourge.

18. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

It looks fantastic, great job man!

19. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

sweet, great job

20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Congrats on 3rd place in the Scourge contest. As some other people have said, i think it's a bit too light of a shade of blue. But, i was still really surprised when i first saw that a universe Cyclonus could be turned into Scourge. Great concept.