Minor/Repaint: Universe roadbuster, rotated the legs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by asphalt, Nov 24, 2008.

1. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    ok finally got Universe Roadbuster. Must say the mold is awesome and the colors are great. One problem though. I really hate the way the legs face. the backs of the legs look way more roadbusterish than with the wheels facing forward. so come I decided to rotate them. They are now boots that are held in with rare earth magnets. when I get home and can access photobucket I will upload a step by step.

Attached Files:

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    idk if that can be done because of how he transforms unless you can make his waist rotate

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nope.

CD Hotshot is a nice sculpt, but his articulation in general leaves a bit to be desired. He could benefit from some modification to his joints.

zmog

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I say add waist rotation and just spin it around 180 degrees. :thumb From there decide if you need to mod the feet! Just the quick idea off the top off my head, don't own the mold.:( 

**EDIT** Oh yeah, you'll have to swap upper thighs, I reckon, so you have knees that bend in the right direction!:D 

5. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    But if you switch his legs around, he'll lose a large amount of missile launchers.

6. SMOG

Not to mention the "saddlebags" on his hips won't fit into the transformation anymore. Rather than swapping the thighs, I'd just do some cutting on them to allow them to bend either way.

It's true... he'd lose those cool flip out missile launchers, and his legs already look pretty good... but for a long time now, I've thought that the backs of his legs would make good leg fronts. The feet look better IMHO.

But it may be a lot more work than it's worth...

zmog

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    personally if any were to do mods on him give him more articulation seriously hed be so much better with more leg and arm articulation

8. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ok I've now been looking at him for the past hour and I'm just not see any possible easy way of doing the mod and keeping his hip holsters the right way and keeping his transformation but I do think if it can be done it would look Fin sweet

9. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed :-/

I removed the lower legs on my Hot Shot and flipped them around, and to me it looks much better and makes this mold look that much more like Roadbuster.

I have an idea of how it might work, but it would be a lot of work, mostly because of the damn hip holsters. I think it could work if you...

1. Put a swivel joint in the crotch-piece the legs connect to.
    2. Swap the upper legs.
    3. Cut off the hip holsters, flip around, re-attach (or put in swivel joint if you care about what way they face in bot-mode)
    4. Swap the lower legs.

The crotch-piece I'm referring to is pretty damn small and there's not much room for anything, but I think if you could cut it without removing too much material, you could make it work.

The hip holsters would be pain as well, but much less so if you didn't care about what way they face in bot mode.

Swapping the upper and lower legs would be the easy part.

vvv I really doubt they're constructed any differently.

10. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    done anybody have both CD hotshot and RB? are their legs and hips assembled the same? on RB his hips are pinned and everything else is freakin riveted. his feet and crotch have screws, the pins might be pushed out but man rivets? come on hasro.

11. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    did a straight leg swap on him a minute ago. that is how he looks. Big improvement IMHO. but now non transforming so not acceptable. thinking magnets and removable boots. there is plenty of room inside the leg to fill it full of REM's. gotta replentish my stock first though.

12. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    pics, dude? I would love to see that, because I just got roadbuster and I MUST know how to fix the legs. Even it is non -transforming, at least it gives me a general idea how it works.

13. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Dont worry, when I do his legs I will make a detailed how to. I ddint figure I was the only one who wanted his legs changed out.

14. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    frankly, to me at least, I rarely TF my toys. I mostly put them in bot mode. So if I make any changes, the prime reason would to make the robot mode kick ass. I know, I know, it defeats the point of them being TFs but roadbuster would be one of the few exceptions I rather sacrifice his alt mode in favour for the bot mode.

Anyhow, did we EVER see him transform in Stormbringer? He just stands there, doing what a wrecker does best - shooting 'Cons with his big-ass guns. :lol 

15. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I dont TF mine much wither. Some I pull down and switch back and forth but most stay dispayed in their collest mode. so I understand. as you see him in my pic all yo udo is remove the screws pull off the boots, and switch feet. There is a single spring catch build into the leg piece that you want to watch you dont knock out since it holds the tension keeping his legs from collapsing, but other than that there isnt any modification needed for a simple parts swap. No cutting, no gluing, all is good.

16. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Oo! That's how it is done, awesome, buddy. Thanks alot! I personally wuld like it if the thigh could swivel. I have something in mind, I am thinking of putting a pair of Gundam legs on him and cut the alt mode pieces and glue it on the gundam legs, sure it is a crazy idea, but i think it will work. Let me try it out and let you know.

17. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I just started the modding on mine. He is going to be super boots Road buster, but It will keep the ability to transform, even if he will be a parts former.

EDIT
    One Leg done. you have to give it a good little tug to get it off. love them magnets. there are no worries about slipping, he can support his whold body weight on one leg.

18. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    all done, both legs modded and still fully functioning. No more articulation but no less. But in my opinion an improvement to the over all look of being roadbuster. he transforms with no problems at all, just switch th elegs back to regular mode, and you are good to go. and you can see the backpack attatches with ball joints so I am really hoping NATO makes a new backpack for him.

19. SMOG

Nice. I'm ideologically opposed to parts-formers, but that looks pretty good. :) 

zmog

20. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    yes in spirit, parts formers are an antithesis, but results are results. I would have loved to make a rotating waist but when I took it apart I just didnt think I would have the room to put in a rod and magnets wouldnt hold it well enough to keep him from popping in half in alt mode.