Universe question about classics 2

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by justinRODimus, Jun 26, 2008.

1. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

I have a question,

Is the whole new Universe line considered classics?

I'm starting to really like Blaster, and I'm kinda pissed not only that hes a repaint, but his repaint makes him a plane (i think). I mean I know its a repaint of Soundwave and that they were both music players back in their day, but I thought the point of classics was to pay homage to the originals. I mean I could understand having characters change for the movie but why for classics.

So is it supposed to be classics Blaster, or just any Blaster? (i think its the former but i hope not)

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    All of the current Universe toys say "Classic Series" on their box. Next year there will be new Universe figures that are set in "Armada Series" or "Beast Wars Series," but all of the 2008 ones are apparently meant to be Classics.

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The Minicon pack says Armada Series though.
    DN

4. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    does this mean classics ends in 2008 or will it return? It's the best series to ever grace the line.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    No, it just means that in 2009, the Universe line will expand into more than just Classics. Although the K-mart mini-cons are apparently a 2008 release, I didn't realize that.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of the voyager CLASSICS are repaints this year. Thats just the way it is. Most of the repaints seam to be of more obscure g1ers but Blasters the only guy that fits the Cyb soundwave mold. I wouldnt hold my breath for soundwave or Blaster as music players ever again though. The modern age of transformers just doesnt seam to like mass shifting. I hope we get a animated blaster repaint of sound wave too

7. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    The point of any Transformer line is for Hasbro to turn a profit. Beyond that, the Universe line exists for the reasons of (1) providing "realistic" Transformers to keep giving that style to retailers who loved the sales of the movie line and (2) getting repeated use out of molds they've previously invested in creating.

Those are the points of the existence of the line. But, lucky for us, Hasbro has added in the collector-friendly aspect of homaging G1(and other lines) in the new "realistic" molds they create and in the repaint color schemes they do. However, the line really does not exist for those reasons.

8. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

Of course turning a profit is what Hasbro wants. But so far, IMO, makeing them "collecter friendly" , and in a G1 style is exactly how they have done that.

Just my 2 pennies.

9. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, according to Aaron Archer at Botcon 08, this is exactly the reason they brought out Classics 2.0. The sales proved that you can have kid a friendly line w/o gimmicks, thanks in no small part to the collectors and enthusiasts.

Hasbro rocks for bringing this line back, esp since we all bitched and moaned that it was gone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I think that next year the Armada characters (Hot Shot) and Beast Era (Cheetor) will get new molds. Hopefully, the rest of the Beast Era will get new molds (season 1 Rattrap in deluxe scale, anyone?)