Universe Monsterbots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone else a fan of these guys and feel they're underrated and could use a good update?

I only had one as a kid, Doublecross, and I loved him.

Sure, I know there are a ton of more important characters that should get updates first (jazz, wheeljack, dinobots) but I wouldn't mind a deluxe Repugnus, Grotesque or Doublecross

Whatdya think?

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think its a good idea I mean to me the Monsterbots are kinda overrated and if Hasbro can upgrades of these guys then I'm cool with it if not, heck we got the Radicons to do that.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, I'm torn on those guys. On one hand, I see them now as a bit of a foreshadowing of the Beast era, which is among my favorites. On the other hand, their release back in '87 was pretty much the time when I (as a kid) looked at TFs on the shelf and went, "WTF, TFs are starting to really suck".

Definitely yes to cool, menacing, fearsome-looking versions of these characters... no if it's a silly goofy interpretation, ala Ejector or Ice Cream twins style.

4. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm good call and also a direction I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasbro go if they decided to revisit these guys.

My interest in these guys came from the mtmte profile books (Dons art of Repugnus finally made me see what the hell he's supposed to be lol) and their brief appearance in Max Dinos. Those are the Monsterbots I'd like to see

5. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    There are so many figures to update, the Monsterbots aren't brought up much. I guess I'd be unlikely to put them as a high priority on my new mold list, but if they were made I wouldn't turn my nose up or anything... unless they were really bad new molds of course.

However, I do think Universe 1.0 Repugnus is great, perhaps his small size is a drawback. I had thought other fuzors could provide bases for other repaints. I think Torca and Skyshadow are wonderful but under-appreciated molds, so either could be a good base for Grotesque.

For Doublecross, again Skyshadow might be passable since he does have that vestigal dragonfly head on one hand and the iguana head on the other hand, so still double-headed. Quickstrike also has the two-headed thing going on, and a repaint of that mold in opaque gray plastic could be nice, but he is a bit lackluster. Non-fuzor-wise, RID Megatron & Cyb.Scourge are obvious options for a multi-headed dragon as well.

Overall, I would be quite happy to see Grotesque repainted from Torca and Doublecross repainted from Skyshadow to form a complete trio with U1 Repugnus.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
  7. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good call, and yeah. The monsterbot homage in that cybertron figure is cool and the main reason I bought it. (I ended up with a 2nd one and made his dino mode two headed even:) )

I love the repaints idea. Good call. I could see the monsterbots sharing molds with all of the small decepticon headmasters too. Squeezeplay and Repugnus could easily share a mold. So could Fangry with Doublecross and Horri-bull with Grotesque with a remolded beast head. That could totally work...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yep, I'd love updated verions of them. I still dig my Doublecross and Grotusque and eventually want to snag a Repugnus one of these days. Though I would rather they release all of the 84-85 Cars first :) 

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Love to see a release of the Monsterbots in ther Universe/Classics line. Wouldn't even mind the previously stated U1 re-paint idea. But would prefer new moulds. I could see Hun-grrr and Doublecross sharing a mould. Not sure of the other two as far as mould sharing.

10. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Be nice, but there are so many other figures I would like to see Hasbro make in a Classics/Universe line first. Rest of the 84 Cars, Dinobots, Headmasters...

11. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I'd love to see an update of the monsterbots. I'd like them to look like their Maximum Dinobots appearance. Doublecross and Grotusque would be awesome.

12. prowl26

prowl26 Well-Known Member

sure why not... I am down for anything that is good

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I have to say they'd be way, way, way down the list. I don't think they get much love, nor do they deserve it. I think they're kinda dumb, and they kinda suck.

But I think if a designer was really into it, they could be spun into something really cool.

Actually I think either would be a good approach. It'd be better than the directionless treatment you get in some of the Cybertron figures, which are neither fearsome enough to be cool, nor goofy enough to be fun.

If you took the basic design and give it a bit of cartoonish personality, I think it'd work.

If they want to pick one, I think Grotusque has the most potential.

[​IMG]

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love to see them, they could take the mold and then repaint it into some kind of other color scheme like Seacons, Pretenders or somehting and rename it accordingly.