Minor/Repaint: Universe Jazz - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Long time, no custom........so once I got my extra Universe Prowl in the mail yesterday and once I saw how it transformed and looked, I decided to try the beats of the streets........JAZZ!

Keep in mind, this is a WIP, so what you see is about half done. I modded the front fender last night (cut it off just above the front wheels and glued it onto the chest/front of the car), removed the Prowl head, and slapped the Jazz head on it (used a bit of super glue to allow the head to fit better, while still being able to turn). I'm working on the paint still and after that, some labels (I'm hoping to mod the G1 labels I have from my reissue Jazz to work on this in the next day or two). I'm not worried about fixing the neck or making it shorter (it doesn't look that bad to me and it's not worth the trouble). I also gotta thank my bud, WheelJack at Sector70 for supplying me with the Jazz head for this (he casted it from the Botcon '08 Jazz head--thanks again bro!)

Enjoy and keep an eye out for the final version (hopefully in the next few days or so).

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sweet, this is actually on my "to-do" list, pending Hasbro not giving us one themselves next year. Just one Q: you gonna play with his shins a little to try to make his legs just a wee-bit different from the car brothers? just a piece of styrene on a hinge would let you use the rear of the legs as the fronts, and then it'd be a perfect update to the original. add some random shapes of styrene glued onto the large piece for detailing and voila!

3. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:

This^

And Looks like I'd need to track down a Repro Head too...

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Lovely...and that head does look great.

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Been planning him since forever,nice to see someone's already started theirs,can't wait to see the end result.
    If my memory serves me right,Jazz Had one Shoulder cannon,since the mold has shoulder cannons,i suppose modifying one and removing the other would work. That's what i'm gonna try anyway.

6. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

That is beautiful... if Hasbro released what you have there, It'd be mine the minute I'd see it.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That is one slick peice of plastic!

8. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, REDLINE--I did flip the legs around at the knees to see what it looked like and I thought the same thing you did. It will look better if I can get something going on the back side of the legs (I have the styrene, but I need to find a couple of small hinges, if I plan to do this). Thanks for the tip--I'm also planning to use some styrene on the front bumper (to lengthen it and make it more like Jazz--and change it up a bit).

Do it, man. When I first saw Botcon Jazz, I thought it looked BLAH, until I saw how good the head actually was on it (that was the ONLY thing I liked about it).

Thanks, man......and yes it does (works better than I thought it would).

Thanks, bro--I actually painted up his right shoulder cannon (the left one if you're looking at him straight on) and it looks exactly like the old G1 cannon. I just had it folded down--I haven't decided it I'll cut off the other cannon completely or paint it and just keep it folded down in bot mode. Once it's done, I'll take some pics with the cannon up and down again. Can't wait to see your take on it too, man.

Thanks, man! Glad you like it--though it's still rough around the edges right now.

Thanks, man--it will look even more slick once the details and labels are on it.

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Look'in really great so far...how did you come up with the head...?

I'm giving Hasbro a little more time to release a classics version of Jazz before jumping to this custom...(got burned a little with Ironhide & Ratchet being announced just after I purchased a couple Towlines)...

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, bro! As I said above, my pal WheelJack at Sector70 casted the head from the Botcon '08 Jazz (which was a new head sculpt they used, if I'm not mistaken).

I know what you mean about doing a custom that comes out shortly after. In fact, I've been working on an Ironhide and Ratchet on and off for a while now (from Towline), but I'll still pick up the official Ironhide release regardless. I see these as custom works for the fun of it and love of the hobby--so it's still fun to do something that Hasbro never thought of. I see it from your perspective, but it's still fun working on them and creating a different take on things like Ironhide, Ratchet, or even Jazz. Thanks again, man!

11. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about doing a custom that comes out shortly after. In fact, I've been working on an Ironhide and Ratchet on and off for a while now (from Towline), but I'll still pick up the official Ironhide release regardless. I see these as custom works for the fun of it and love of the hobby--so it's still fun to do something that Hasbro never thought of. I see it from your perspective, but it's still fun working on them and creating a different take on things like Ironhide, Ratchet, or even Jazz. Thanks again, man!

i'll bet your glad you went ahead with your galvatron, he looks so much better then the 1 they are releasing

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    lol--DEFINITELY. I'll still pick up the new Universe Galvatron, but it's not the Galvatron we know and love. I also don't like the small deluxe size for the new Universe Galvatron, so it all worked out great in the end. :) 

13. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    That's slick. I was kind of wary of the Universe toys, especially with some of the problems people talk about, but seeing this makes me want to give it a shot. Can't wait to see the end result!

14. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Looking good bro, I'm gonna pick an extra one of these guys up just in case they don't do an official one, even though I find that highly unlikely. Glad to know the Jazz head cast is out there too

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Looking really nice so far. I definitely echo everything Red said; the Jazz-style shins would kick arse if you can make it work. And I'd say you might as well ditch the left shoulder launcher; you could always shove it in you bitz box for a later project!

A little tip regarding hinges: One way you can do them is to cement a couple of pieces of styrene together (to thicken them up) and drill a pilot hole through; you can then insert a suitably-sized length of wire through the hole to act as a pin. Dead simple, possibly moreso than hunting around for ages to find a suitable pre-made hinge... :p 

16. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks again, guys. The only problem I can see with doing something like that, is the fact that the the knee/thigh area seems to stick down almost as low as the rear wheels in alternate mode. If anyone has any tips on how to do a hinge sort of thing, while working around that, I'm all ears. Thanks again for all the great tips and help--I appreciate it. (the legs even look better with the waist simply flipped around--I'd just like to do something like you guys have mentioned, if at all possible).

*small update on this--I added some small styrene strips to the hood/chest area (to try and make it look similar to the G1 Jazz alternate mode). I'll add more pics soon as I work a bit more on it.

17. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

looks great

18. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

That is AMAZING !!! Once you finish Prowl into Jazz and make 1 Sunstreaker into Sideswipe ,add Mirage and Ironhide to the bunch you get the AUTOBOT BADBOYS !

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    lol--funny you should say that. I'm impatient and I enjoy doing customs work for the sheer fun of the hobby, so I actually already have an extra Sunstreaker that I've turned into Sideswipe already (small head mods and all)--all he needs is a new paint job and it's ready to go.

Thanks again, guys. I'll be posting more WIP pics sometime tomorrow (hopefully).

20. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Well as for your customs Amazing is not enough. I just love the Autobot Badboys.