Minor/Repaint: Universe Jazz - WIP [Round 2]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Jul 26, 2008.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Here are some more WIP pics on Jazz. I've removed the legs and swapped them at the hip to allow his lower legs (between the knee and ankle) to look more "G1". I also added the small styrene strips to the front of the car/chest. I painted some of the inside of his lower legs black to be more like the original G1 Jazz. Up next, I'll finish filling in the roof (where I removed the siren from Prowl), finish up painting, and add the labels (if these look ok--if not, I'll paint 'em myself). I also removed the unused shoulder launcher and painted the other, so that it can be flipped out or hidden. Hope you enjoy the few small tweaks.

Attached Files:

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Its looking really nice! Are you going to have a flap or somthing for the front of the legs?

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Damn, that works better as Jazz then Prowl.
    Nice job.

4. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    hmm that sure does look sweet. i think i just figured out what i am going to do with my extra prowl

5. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Nice...what head did you use?

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome. You beat me to it. i was working on this too, but yours is awesome, gives me good feeling saobut how mine will be when it is done

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looking great. Are you gonna go for more decals or paint apps for the detailing?

8. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    He's coming along great! Are you going to add a piece to cover the front of his legs? It wouldn't interfere with the transform as long as it's hinged.

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Hinge is a no-go. Knees end up beyond the bottom of the alt mode, so a flat piece wouldn't fit when transformed back to car. Adding a raised area to account for the knee may work, but might end up hitting the ground. I don't have the figure in front of me to check.

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    As Kouri said, there isn't much room to add a hinged piece to cover that part of his legs (it's too low to the ground). I think it still looks better like this than it did the other way (even though that didn't look bad either).

I thought about adding a hinge and covering it up, but I'm lost as to how to do it without compromising the transformation or the ability to roll in alternate mode. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm still working on some kind of mod to the legs to give it more movement, while keeping this new look.

As for the questions:

1) I used a cast of the Botcon '08 Jazz head (got it in a trade with a fellow kitbasher)

2) I plan to use some of the G1 decals/labels (from the Takara bookstyle reissue Jazz)--if I feel these don't work well, then I'll attempt to paint my own stripes.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

11. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    looking mighty sweet hxc. I can't wait to see this done. These universe guys are a kitbasher's wet dream. well, except for our actual wet dreams, that is. Do you guys still have those?......never mind

12. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Since i'll be getting the same head cast shortly, how hard was it to adapt to the current neck part on the Prowl mold?

Or was that mod made to the head before hand...

Also does the new Leg switch affect the tf to car mode?

13. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Any pics of your custom Jazz in car mode ? I would really like to see how you made the modification on the side part of the hood where cut the headlights and made it part of the front chest :) 

14. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now that is jazz man i cant wait to see him done.

15. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i keep hearing about this botcon jazz head. Is it possible to get them anywhere else? Can anyone do a cast?

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Did you swap the legs at the thighs or the knees? Swapping them at the thighs will still allow it to transform, but compromise his ability to bend his knees, and swapping at the knees does the opposite. I got round this by swapping at the knees (so the front of the thighs are still the same), and extending the channel at the knee to allow the hinge to rotate further forward a few degrees so it can bend for transformation.

Have you tried transforming it yet? In my experience, the front of the crotch obstructs the roof support, stopping it from laying flat. There's easy mods to fix that, though.

Redline and I are both looking at the shin plate problem, and I think we've both got different solutions. Whether they'll work is another matter, but we'll keep you posted. :p 

Definitely suitably sexy so far, though... :D 

17. ad0nis01

ad0nis01 Well-Known Member

He's lookin good.

18. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

ok what the hell is going on it has my title and your pics/project

ok it is back to normal wtf ? :crazy: :confused: 

19. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    The link I click on the boards is 'Vector Pime WIP', and then when it loads here, it's a custom for a Jazz? WTF???

- Alty

20. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Wow, this particular thread is really screwing up the boards... With it at the bottom, it eats the rest of the page and I can't see any other thread list but what's on the front page.... very strange. :( 

- Alty