Customs: universe ironhide/ratchet hands

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    is it possible to give this mold normal fists and it still transform?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

No. The hands have to dounble back and fold onto the inside of the forearms, to allow for the spine of Ironhide/Ratchet to fit in car mode. You could add fists, but make them detachable.

3. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Are we talking about this mold?

[​IMG]

Why couldn't you add an articulated hand? As long as it was hinged to fold back like you said, what's the problem?

If we're talking about this mold:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking you split the forearm in half with a dremel, hollow out the top half and find a hand small enough to fit in the "shield" area, or else just modify/replace the fingers so they move.

There's no way to do it without fab'ing something tho.

Mathius

4. Megatron31

Ebay:
    mathius i mean the first one u posted pics of, i read the tutorial on how to articulate the thumb on that hand but i was just curious if anyone had tried givimg him a fist that could hold standard weapons

5. Treadshot A1

Mathius, yes, you could give him articulated hands, but his hands are open for a reason: So they're flat enough for vehicle mode. Unless you can find a pair of Artculated Hands that can match the size of Ironhide's, and mount them on the existing hinge, it's kinda difficult. But i can't think of any off the top of my head that would work, even 1/100 Gundam Hands wouldn't fit.

Also, i assume by standard weapons he means the ones with a 5mm peg, in which case good luck finding articulated hands to grip them The problem is that to gripp a 5mm plug, you need the fingers bent, but you need the fingers straight for car mode. Unless you can find hands with articulated fingers at this scale which is highly unlikely), you're screwed.

6. Megatron31

Ebay:
    I have a set if fists that just might be thin enough to work I'm gonna have to take him off the shelf and see what kind of clearance I have. I know there isn't much something must be done the whole slide the rocket launcher over his hand thing sucks

I'm not looking for articulated fingers I just want something that can hold a weapon (5mm peg I think)

7. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar at all with this figure so I have no idea what scale we're talking about so I'll just take your word for it.

It seems to me that the answer is finding a hand that is articulate enough to bend the fingers in the way necessary for transformation, but again if you say they don't exist in that scale. <shrug>

The obvious answer is modifying something existing or do a scratch built. I've seen the guy here who articulates 1/64 scale cars, so I know working on any scale is possible, if not easy.

Mathius

8. Megatron31

Ebay:
  9. Treadshot A1

Hmm, i stand corrected. I guess you can, but then again, i think we all came into this thread knowing anything can happen, this is Radicons. But finding an existing pair woule be hard. That said, though, maybe you should look in the RG Gundam hands, they look pretty good, articulated as all heck.

10. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i just got lucky i had what i needed in the parts bowl hahaha. if i had to look for something i dont know that i would have done it although after looking generations drift hands would also be a great substiture but i dont think they will fit in when transformed

11. Treadshot A1

RG Gundam hands, man. Real Grade Gundam hands.

12. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Real grade gundam is 1/144 scale