Minor/Repaint: Universe Inferno: 2 ideas...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Before any of you speak up who are on my case to actually finish some of the kitbash projects I started long ago, I will point out that this is just an idea thread, and represents no actual WIP so far... :D 

I just got my U. Inferno, and it's an AWESOME figure... but I wanted to try out a couple of things.

1. Hotspot. I wanted to see if I could get a good looking Hotspot out of the mold without it just looking like a repainted Inferno. I think it could work.

2. Head swap... just stuck on for now... I haven't figured out the attachments, but I think it could work in a fashion similar to the original G1 mold.

OK... I know Inferno already has a GREAT headsculpt, and it's a solid figure all around, but as the original Inferno/Grapple head is one of my favourite headsculpts from G1, I had to find a way to work it in, and get the ladder turret in there as well.

I know it looks a bit small, though I've always been of the opinion that giant robots look better with small heads anyway. I especially like the way it highlights Inferno's bulk and power, while still making him look consistent scale-wise with other Classics Autobots.

Now i just need some little white wings... :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

I really like the Hotspot idea.

3. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    the upgraded inferno has a really small head.

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Mm, I remember a Defensor on ebay a ways back that had whipped up a Hot Spot similar to this one. . .

Ah, found the images on Flickr ^^

[​IMG]

Protectobots - a set on Flickr

5. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

I love seeing your idea posts. I know there will always be worthwhile and original ideas within. I recently saw a custom defensor on eBay with this idea for hotspot and it does look good. I wonder if it's still available?
    ..... runs to go check eBay...
    ah
    Ah, there it is. Thanks Kouri!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did you do something to Prowl head? it looks different....

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it's like my project, except you didnt' go all out with it. you can easily fit styrene to fill out the rest of the torso, and also so you can flip the ladder up and over the head to hand down the front of the truck (which would now be his back) in robot mode.

8. SMOG

Sonuva--!

Well, I guess I can't be first on this stuff all the time. Though that guy didn't bother with a new chest piece... or even rotating the legs around!

Oh... uh yeah. It's been so long, I kind of forgot. I cut down the brow on his "helmet" a little bit to show his eyes better, and make his face look a little less "squashed".

I also removed the super-dark light piping, and replaced it with some baby blue plastic. Why not just repaint the eyes? Well... I was going to do that, but things got out of hand when I discovered the light piping was glued in place, and I ended up having to remove it all.

Yeah, I figured I could do something like that with a ladder. The plate on his chest in the picture is only a placeholder I stuck on to give an idea of the look I was going for... when (if!) I get around to this, I'd like to build (or find) a better chest plate.

zmog

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You've a point with the chest piece, but there does seem to be some purpose behind the legs. G1 Hot Shot had his wheels on his shins rather than the calves, so this does somewhat emulate that. I personally think having feet outweighs super-G1-accuracy, and like that about yours.

10. SMOG

G1 HotSpot also had his wheels on the outside of his legs, not the inside... whether the wheels are closer to the front or the back seems like a lesser issue to me. :) 

zmog

11. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    uhhh...Hell Yes!!! That is more than a repaint, that = GOLD!!!

I think you need to presume a Defensor w/ that one!

12. SMOG

Thanks for the vote.

I pretty much assume that any time I do a combiner team member, the rest of the team and the combined mode has to be a consideration too. Not that I've actually completed any such thing, but I do have a Bruticus, Menasor and Devastator well into the conceptual stages. At this rate, I'll have them done for BotCon 2040. :redface2: 

In my defense, I'm adamantly sticking to certain principals, that make the problem solving aspect of the process trickier (ie:little to no add-on parts... so no Unicron bits!)

My big issue with Defensor is how to handle Groove. I'm not a stickler for scale, but some things are more glaring than others... not sure what to do with that motorcycle mode.

Of course in the more immediate sense, I just need another Inferno. Around my parts, they still haven't showed up in stores... I had to get this one shipped from a friend in the States!

zmog