Minor/Repaint: Universe Headmaster Hardhead WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Nov 6, 2010.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

So I got the HOTHEAD set by Headrobots in the other day, and decided that I wanted to do a little something to make this guy my own - so here's my take.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. ACofCA

ACofCA Autobot

Ebay:
    nice Paintjob! what paint did you use and how did you apply it?

3. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    wow. that's a lot of green. did you take this guy apart before painting him? I like the color and basic green is a standard in the army with only a few black, gray or white acents but the robot bits, the parts that are hidden in alt mode, should have some stand-out colors. That'll really help to make it pop. Nice start so far though, what do you think of the kit?

4. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    sweet paint job and colors!!!
    a small suggestion,make sure to use "flat/matte" yellow and grey,but make his windows gloss.
    can't wait to see the final result from looking at it so far!!!:thumbs2: 

5. wheeljack2010

Alright, thanks guys! Yeah, I'll definitely be adding some flat/matte yellow, greys, and blacks with just a few gold and silver machinery details here and there. He'll also have his trademark Autobot symbol decals on him as well when finished. Tires are being painted as I type this.

The kit was actually really nice. the only flaw I see is that they could have made it so the entire backpack could attach to the back (in one piece) of the Universe Hardhead mold. As it stands, you have to break it up into 2 pieces to attch it to his back. This limits the possibility for gun storage to me (as there are alot of holes on the BP for gun storage). Also, the guns are hard to get in his hands. This is easily enough solved with a small drill bit on your dremel, but there are alot of people who don't have a dremel (should be noted that they will still fit in his hands w/o dremeling - but you need alot of elbow-grease to twist and turn it in there!)I think that the weapons and BP attach better (look better aesthetically) on the G1 mold personally, but a great kit overall for the price - well worth it.

Paint used was Krylon Fusion "Ultra Flat" Camouflage olive. Took figure apart, then sprayed thin even coats over entire figure. Used "Citadel" boltgun metal for the silver bits and weathering effects using drybrush technique. Krylon oil-rubbed bronze used on his overhead cannon. Krylon "crystal clear" flat clear coat applied as well. Thanks for the suggestions, and stay tuned for more!

6. VestigialHeart1

VestigialHeart1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks good so far. I don't have mine in frnt of me right now but it looks like the shoulder cannon isn't in the right peg. Shouldn't it be on the right side of the BP attachment or did you put it on top for a reason.

7. wheeljack2010

Thanks man. You can put it on the right or left side as well, but you either have to tilt the turret (on his back) towards the ground, or slightly cock it to either side for a good fit. I just put it on top because it looked best that way to me (the turret sits just right this way). Gun also fits on his back as well. Should be noted that the head was really quite easy to mount. All you have to do is unscrew 3 screws from the back of the old head, remove that head and just pop this one on! Provides for almost full ball joint movement (up&down/side2side) on a FLAT peg! These guys are good!

8. VestigialHeart1

VestigialHeart1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see what you're saying now that I'm looking at mine. What I do is plug it into the hole in the front of the BP attachment. The only problem is that the fist peg now rests on his chest. I think it looks better in the sense that it protrudes farther though.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That looks great, man! I'd like to get one of those.

10. wheeljack2010

Hey thanks Earl! U da man, brudduh!

Updated first post with some pics of minor paint apps today......

11. wheeljack2010

UPDATE

Added some black to arms and legs w/weathering effects. Next I'll add some yellows and greys for a more G1 feel. Although, as you can probrably tell, I'm going for more of a realistic version of him, so these colors will be slightly muted as well.

12. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking forward to seeing the completed paint job. As it stands right now it definitely looks unfinished. Good start, but the devil is in the details! Push your abilities to the limit and let's see what you can do.

13. wheeljack2010

Added some color to him. Not sure if I like my weathering effects on the Desert yellow pieces so I may just paint over them. Some more work to do on his back and then I'll add some decals. comments welcome. cheers!

14. wheeljack2010

Got my waterslide decals in today and finished him up. Enjoy! Comments welcome and thanks for checkin' em' out folks!