Universe Galvatron - What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cheetorBWORG, Jan 3, 2009.

1. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Okay, I DON'T have the toy, BUT... I watched Peaugh's review and I was AMAZED with the intricate transformation and the articulation.

But as I hear, not a lot of people have a good opinion about it. What's up with that? Is it just the anger that it wasn't the proper sized class or what...? I don't get it...

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah I had the same question a couple of days ago, but I got him as a present over the mail, so I can tell you now why he's so hateful myself! :lol 

The transformation is horrible - way too weird and complicated for a Deluxe, and you're pretty much unable to transform him without forcing parts to go off, which is a crying shame. There's back kibble that won't slot into anything, so it's all hanging there loosey goosey. He's back heavy. His torso doesn't click into anything so it's always loose causing the head to slide back into his torso. There's parts on his kibble that flip out but serve no purpose. His left arm comes off pretty much all the time. Oh yeah, and pretty much every part can somehow come off for 'safety'.

As a representation of Galvatron, he's very cool, but as a toy - not so much. He looks good on a shelf, but let's keep him there. :) 

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I think Digilaut more or less nailed it. The technical problems boil down to:

-Kibbly
    -Back-heavy (will fall backwards in a light breeze)
    -floppy and loose
    -complex in a bad way (including leftover bits from when he was planned at a bigger class)
    -parts popping off left and right (lower legs and left arm in particular)

And the aesthetic problems (in my opinion) are:

-too small for the character (though he IS to scale with Cyclonus, which is nice)
    -odd, shriveled old-lady face
    -weirdly-proportioned legs with tiny thighs and super-long lower legs

Again, he's not the worst figure ever. He's actually decently articulated, and I like the asymmetry of his arms and the handling of the arm cannon. But for a reasonably important character who was in need of a big upgrade, this feels like a wasted chance (a bitterness which, I believe, makes folks dislike the figure more than if it were a more obscure character).

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

He's a Galvatron to the Classics two-pack tank Megatron instead of Classics Voyager Megatron.

Space Cannon > tank.

5. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

Honestly, the only real bad points are how back heavy he is and that he has one or two weak joints. and even those are hit and miss. Not all the toys have that problem. People who can't transform him without popping things off or screwing up are probably clumsy or being way too forceful and ungraceful with their toys. He isn't hard to convert at all, and the fact that people call him 'complex' is almost laughable. His transformation is pretty cut and dry, to me anyway.

you should try him and see if you like him. Don't listen to the people on the boards. If everyone listened to the over opinionated voices of snobby fans on the internet, everyone would buy the same figures and no one would develop unique tastes and collections. If you want to try him out, then what is there to lose? You can always just return it if you don't like it.

Honestly though, I can barely get him to stand up, so if you like figures that can hold poses and stuff, you probably won't like him. He's like a toddler with flopping, broken ankles.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I like the toy. I think he has a fun and complex transformation and good aesthetics in both modes. That said, he holds together very poorly. Multiple parts are prone to popping off during transformation and his backpack in robot mode refuses to clip on solidly, leaving it flopping around like he has a couple of dead fish strapped to his back.

7. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i really really dont see the problem with Galvatron, he is a nice solid figure....once you work out the kinks. i put pins in the backpack and knee swivel areas so they no longer pop off, i stripped the paint off his left arm which IMO makes him look alot nicer and loosened the left arm swivel so it no longer pops off while transforming. yeah hes a little on the small side and hes not "GEEWUNNNNNNNNN" (thank god there) but IMO hes a nice and very welcome addition to my classics line.

[​IMG]

8. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    FIXED nothing more to say but it better now.

9. Desz

Desz Member

I’ve also heard a lot of bad things about Universe Galvatron, and maybe I just got lucky but both of the ones I have are perfectly fine. No parts are falling of at random, and it’s been no problem having him stand up without falling over and stuff. However I do agree that there are parts of the design that could had been a lot better so he’s not perfect. As for the size of this toy, I love it. I mean he is in scale with Cyclonus, so unless Cyc was a bigger toy to it would look rather odd to have the two together with Galvatron being bigger seeing as how Cyc is taller in the cartoon. But on the other hand, it certainly wouldn’t hurt if Hasbro, let’s say, decided to make a larger Galvatron toy and a larger Cyc toy as well at some point :wink: 

10. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    He could've been alot better.

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I just wish mine had heels. He can't stand too well on just his tippy toes. :redface2: 

12. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

In my opinion I think Galvatron isn't that bad, considering his former self was a voyager class. All in all It's a pretty cool addition to the Classic/ Universe line and looks pretty damn cool next to Cyclonus. Stop hating.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is awesome and if you don't like him it's either because your fingers are too fat or you're a dumb dork with a butt for a face. A stinky butt.

14. Desecrator

Desecrator Anti-Human

:lolol 

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I will never tf mine again. Not gonna whine, but he is not my favorite. Too bad he is not as solid as Cyclonus is. Ah, well.

I popped off the wings to Energon Galvatron, and use him with my Classics. If deluxe Galvy wants to sit on the shelf, he will have to kick Energon Galvy's ass first.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    My big problem is I can't get mine to stand. I don't have problems with the complex transformation or the (rare) occasional part pop off, but that mine can't stand without aide or looking like he's got to potty really hurts him.

17. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

I can't get his damn turret on his arm to lock into anything. So it just hangs there. I am not sure what I am missing.

but everytime I pick him up he goes floppy like a ragdoll, and while trying to get him back into a standing position one of his legs will pop off. I don't even want to touch him anymore because it takes a few minutes to get him to stand again.

18. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I hear ya, man!

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Is it the cannon really floppy and rattling about in the joint? You might've done what I did and accidentally popped it out of the socket while transforming him so it rattles about in the open channel next to it. I was extremely pissed with the floppy cannon until I realised what had happened and popped it back into the right bit. Now it's a nice snug fit. :) 

If it's the actual shoulder joint then you need to make sure the orange part is right back until it pushes all the way in and then you slide it forward so the tabs slot under the purple part notches until it makes a slight click. Then it's locked.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I can see why people would like Galvatron. When I look at it, I can see how it could have been a good toy.

The transformation is way too complex for the small size, and a lot of the problems arise from that. It might be a Deluxe, but the transformation is more complicated than Ultra Onslaught.