3D Artwork: Universe/G1 Kickback

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Sledgehammer, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Carrying on with my theme of cel-shaded work, I found myself inspired by the soon (kind of)-to-be-reissued Insecticons; I'd forgotten how much I loved those guys, so I dug into my archive and dragged out an ancient Kickback model I'd built for the old game sprites I did way back when, to get the ball rolling.

First thing I realised is that the old mesh was all well and good for its original purpose, but it was so low-poly (terrifyingly so) that most of it needed rebuilding from the ground up...not to mention the original was a little too cartoon-based, and I'd already decided that I wanted the new version to feature more of the toy's detailling. So, after a few days of fervent vertex-bashing, here's how it stands.

It's not 100% finished - there are still a few minor details to throw in there - but I thought you might like to see how things are progressing. As usual, C&C more than welcome! :thumb 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I like it, though it seems like there isn't much room for rotating out arms and legs from side to side. However, I do love the faces on these guys. Cyclonus, Nightstick, and Hound looked great, and Kickback is no different in this regard. Keep up the good work.

3. Sledgehammer

Thanks, SC - I've spent a great deal of time trying to get the faces as good as I can make them, and I'm happy with how they've been turning out so far! :thumb 

As far as Kicky's limb rotation is concerned, it's a drawback of trying to follow the toy's structure - however, I do have one or two ideas in mind (one of which borders on outright cheating, but what the heck). ;) 

4. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

hey if cheating is what it takes, (as far as cartoon characters go) i think its fine XD it looks great man like all ur renders!

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :bay  Awesome model dude. The face looks great, along with all the detailing. Everything flows well in the renders. :thumb 

6. Showster

Showster Well-Known Member

Cool dude are you using him for a game or something?

7. Sledgehammer

Optimus-wave: Ta muchly! And if ILM can get away with it, why not? ;) 

Venks: Thanks as always, mate! Might even have a pop at Classics Prime/Megs at some point down the line (inspired by your work)! :thumb 

Showster: Not intentionally, but who's to say what all this'll end up being used for? At the moment, I'm just enjoying myself with the modelling! :) 

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Great job Rob!! I know I've asked this before, but are you using a filter on the render? For some reason it looks a tad blurry to me.

Is that mouth modeled on? If so, I'm extremely impressed. Not sure how you pulled that off via cel shading. What are you using for the cel shading? Is that a plugin or just a cel material from 3ds max?

9. Sledgehammer

Cheers, Jeff! Yeah, I'm using a Gauss filter in Mental Ray's renderer, with a slightly expanded width/height value; that, along with a samples-per-pixel set to 256, does give a slightly blurred effect, but it's the best result I've been able to achieve so far.

And yep, the mouth's part of the mesh, and I'm using plain old Ink and Paint with a few setting tweaks. If you want me to fire over the file so you can have a better look, just let me know! :thumb 

10. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm embarrassed at how long it's been since I used 3ds max for anything substantial. I would love to see how you have the material set up though.