Universe Dinobot

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got him today and love it! But......

At first when I heard and saw him I wasnt too fond of him. I thought he was going to be marketed as a Maximal and since I DO NOT collect anything Autobot, or Maximal, other than Animated Dinobots, it was an easy pass for me. Then I heard about the rotating faction part, I knew I had to have him.

So here are some pics and thoughts, this is sort of my first review I guess.

Raptor (Alt. mode)
    Color is great, much lighter than the photoshopped pictures. Dino mode is the most realistic for Dinobot to date IMO. My only gripe is the fact you see his hands in the chest, which most people will but I can look past it. Has standard articulation with the legs, little bit restricted when moving them out due to the hips, mouth opens and closes and the hands move (which are the softer plastic). Would be nice if he had some neck movement in Alt. mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the underside and how the arms/hands fit in.
    [​IMG]

Robot mode:
    Love it. I think they captured the essence of Dinobot in this mode. I know some people wanted another more show accurate, which IMO was what the 10th anniversary was for, and like how they gave a new twist to an old favorite.
    [​IMG]

He has some really great ankle articulation, knees are a bit limited because of the Alt. mode thighs on the back of the leg, the claws or bones on the lower legs are the softer plastic. Arms can turn 360 degrees at the shoulder as well as at the bicep. Forearms can move up and down.

Here you can either have the Predacon or Maximal symbol, blank for Alt. Mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As we all know his tail opens up and can fire a missile, or the missile can become his sword, which is what I prefer. This is some what similar to his old incarnation from Beast Wars of hold his spinning tail and serrated blade. I would have liked to seen a longer missile/blade with this one.
    [​IMG]
    1-14-09 UPDATE FOUND BY SHADOW PANTHER - The hook on the tail fits in on his back on the top so you can store the tail on the back, nice find!!!
    [​IMG]
    Now one thing that might make some people happy since I have yet seen it be discussed is how he has real hands in Bot mode. While this is true, you can also have him have his old school claw hands!!! Here you can see what his hands are usually transformed as with the claws inside...
    [​IMG]
    Now just simply put them out and rotate......
    [​IMG]
    I prefer this way since it looks the coolest and prevents the little claw kibble on the hands in Bot mode. You can also see the peg on the claw this way so that the pegs in the missile/sword fit in so he can hold it. He can also hold his tail with the claw hands as well, its an odd fit and pretty sure it is not meant to, but you can......
    [​IMG]

And some comparisons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final thoughts:
    I think this is a great addition to the Universe line and they did a great job IMO with him. I love the color choice since its very Universe style and love that they took some chances on somethings, granted some better engineering could have been accomplished but overall, great figure!

Hope you enjoyed!

PIC REQUESTS AND QUESTIONS!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YES!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, the alternate hands has won me over. That's some awesome in-toy fanwankage.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    pretty cool toy, though iunno if ill get him... im not a HUGE fan of Dinobot-though my brother is psyched

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a must have for me, do you have any other Preds or the original Dinobot toy to comapre him to?

5. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transmetal 2 dinobot I do, want a pic let me know. Or I have every other pred that you would want.

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    NICE. I may have to pick up this guy after all. I REALLY want to see the henkei version, that purple just turns me off. But the design looks quite nice. Love the hands.

7. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Brilliant! I've needed this since 1996!

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Whoa! Thats pretty cool the hands could change...sweet. I'll be getting him soon. That was a good, informative review, Deceptigtar. Nice job.

9. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    is this out at retail or did you get this early? thanks!

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I find it funny to hear the people who give the "OMG Not show accurate!" rants. Admittedly some of the color choices aren't ideal, but mold-wise, this is the most show-accurate Dinobot has ever been - in both modes. Considering how cheaty the CGI model was, that's saying something.

now a little of my own ranting: OMG a choice between fists and two-thumbed claw hands!?!?! A choice for Maximal, Predacon, and blank?!?!? That toy is SOOOOOOOO effin' sold!

11. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    early my friend.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I am picking this up, might shave the sword/missle to make it more sharper and show accurate, and get rid of that hilt. Is the sword a loose fit in the hands? Is the leg articulation like that of Animated Prowl?

I am impressed by the gimmicks and homages on this figure. Very neat.

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    i like the gimmicks

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I never really followed BW or those era's series, and I'm not big on "organic" Transformers, but I must admit this looks like a pretty cool figure!

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Is it me or the Predacon symbol is super messed up? Otherwise Dinobot looks great. But like Peaugh, I would like to see the Henkei version first.

16. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dinobot was my first Transformer, but I don't have him anymore, so I'm really looking forward to getting this.

17. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sword in robot hands no, claw hands, a little. legs not like animated prowl.

it was just the pic and i noticed that too.

18. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

Dinobot looks nice, though for some reason I still like the head sculpt of the dino-mode on the original.
    Judging by the pics, the transformation doesn't seem very complicated.
    How involved is the transformation exactly??

19. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very easy actually. the legs are the legs for bot mode, turn the feet around and bring the hips down behind the legs and bring out the bone claws.

upper body pull the arms out to the side and bring the dinohead down and close the chest on the sides. hands do as you please. pretty much it really.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    What does he look like from the side in robot mode?

I'd love to see side/back pics of him in robot mode- would let me know how much the dinohead protrudes from his chest.