Universe: Depthcharge

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Cheebs, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've seen this guy warming shelves in my area since the beginning of Universe. He is a repaint of the Beast Wars Transmetal manta ray of the same name. The huge manta ray toy seemed too odd to take a $25 gamble on, so I let him sit there. However, I was browsing Amazon.com the other day and saw him on clearance for $9. Can't pass up a massive toy for $9, so I bought him on principal alone. :D 

All I can say is I'm glad I did, and I probably should have picked him up at retail for $25 long ago. He's fantastic! First of all, the alt mode is just beautiful. Sculpted detail all over the place and one of the best color schemes I've seen on a beast transformer. The airbrushed paint apps give it a very organic look while the sculpted detail adds mechanized touches. The overall look is very impressive, and the huge size of the toy gives it that much more impact.

Robot mode is amazingly odd, but undeniably cool. It has all the articulation you could ask for including a waist, but it is much shorter than you would imagine. One detail that I love is that a second set of manta ray eyes are exposed and the orriginal eyes go away when transforming to robot mode giving the appearance that even the beast mode parts themselves change durring the transformation to robot. The head sculpt is a very cool looking mechanized fish head. Definate bonus points on that one.

The oddest thing about the robot mode is the HUGE horrizontal mass of beast kibble hanging off of his sholders. You know the jet kibble jutting horrizontally off of Armada Starscream's sholders? Well, it's litterally nothing compaired to this. The beast mode tail at the very end of the kibble is required to be used as a stand just to get him to balance upright. As I looked at the instructions I thought this would be a fatal flaw to the robot mode. However, upon using the toy I was pleasantly surprised. When displaying the figure all of that mess it totally hidden by the massive ray wings just behind the robot's sholders. In addition to that, the tail acts as a built-in dispaly stand. You can easily balance the figure in running poses and action poses thanks to that tail. Very cool!

All in all I highly recommend this figure. Definatly at the $9 price on Amazon, and even at the $25 price if you can still find him at retail. A totally unique Transformer.

2. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

Yeah, Universe DC is an awesome figure. Now if only Hasbro would release a Universe Rampage so DC could have a rival again.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ I agree.

The Depthcharge mold also has the most fun projectile gimmick that I've ever had the chance to play with. With most TF's, I'll stick their missiles in the launcher and never purposefully launch them again. Whenever I pick up DC, I can't help but launch a few rounds off before I put him back.

4. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I couldnt disagree more. I got him for free at a TRU sale, and hated him the minute I TF'ed him. The mess hanging off his shoulders killed the figure for me. Awful, awful design which I'm glad I got rid of. I will agree on the paint scheme however, Hasbro can use decent colors when they want to.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm somewhere between you guys (Thoughtcrime and Cheebs). I'm glad I got him, (I got him on sale at Target) and he is a nice figure, but that Aircraft Carrier of a tail that juts out of his back kills it for me. I can't stand it.

He was on display for a total of 10 hours before I put him away in storage.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I love the mold, and wish I had've got Depth Charge when he was released during BW. Not that the Universe paint job is bad, I just prefer the original.

I agree with all the original points made, Cheebs. Great review. The kibble on the back is annoying, but something I can definitely overlook based on the rest of a great toy.

I give it a B+

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got DC when he went down to $15 at Wal-Mart, and boy am I ever glad. I love the figure. The articulation and great looks make up for the kibble (which I find not nearly as annoying as Armada seekers). He sits proudly on the top shelf of my Universe display next to LioConvoy.

Chris

8. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Ahh! Zombie-thread!

I FINALLY picked up Depthcharge this weekend at Target for $10. I figured it was my last chance since I hadn't seen him since Christmas.

At first, I had a little beef with this guy, as much as I love the character. I was utterly confused by the instructions when I had to get his robot legs into position (textless instructions are teh suck). Then, when I had him in robot mode, his torso was just so very bland. He needs some color on his chest and/or stomach to break up the massive chunk of charcoal-gray. And then there's the fact that you really need to fiddle with the shark-gun to get him to hold it properly (i.e. straight forward).

But then as I got to playing with him, I realized how awesome he is. Depthcharge has great articulation (no surprise, since he came from Beast Wars), even if his waist joint is not really at the waist. The wings are huge and imposing, and the paint apps are simply amazing. The colors are great, a nice blend of dark red and blue, gray, black to accentuate the cream (I guess) and a nice jolt of light blue for the projectiles. The "back-kibble" seemed awkward at first, but I now see it as a handle for his kick-ass disc launcher.

Speaking of the disc launcher, that has to be one of the best gimmicks I've seen in a while. I've entirely lost count of how many times I've fired off all five discs, put them back in his compartment, and fired them again.

So Depthcharge gets a big thumbs up from me. At first he didn't live up to my expectations and a part of me was glad I only paid $10, but now I would have been willing to shell out the $20 if I had it when he was released.

And now I want Rampage to go along with him. :(