Universe Cruellock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Andersonh1, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Old figure obviously. I didn't pick up much from Energon when it was out in the stores. I was busy with other things and though the figures looked good, the money for collecting just wasn't there. So I didn't have much chance to comment on the figures at the time.

I ran across Cruellock and some other Energon basics repackaged for Universe at my local Dollar General store the other day, and I decided Cruellock looked interesting, so I picked him up. Not too impressed, though the figure does have its nice points.

- Starting with the dino mode: I like the color scheme. Yeah, he has Godzilla's chin, and the proportions are weird, but the teal, dark red and silver are nice, and the translucent green really does catch the light well, evoking the Energon that it's supposed to be.

- I love the massive (relative to Cruellock) sword, and the red notches are a nice touch.

- I think the spring loaded transformation mechanism is detrimental to the figure. It makes the dino a bit unstable, and the head likes to flop around far too easily.

- transformation: disappointing. He pretty much straightens up and flips back the dino head. The robot head rotates, and you have narrower hips and wider shoulders, but in essence the figure barely changes at all.

- Nice bot head sculpt, rather different. Good articulation, though there's no way this guy's sitting down any time soon with those tail halves on his buttocks.

It was worth $5 for the colors and sculpting, but it barely qualifies as a Transformer. It scores points for the aesthetics, not the transformation.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always had a soft spot for Cruellock during his run in Energon. Sure, the "transformation" is basically non-existant, but he does actually have a significantly different "presence" in either mode due to how he carries his bulk. Dino mode is fairly lithe and agile looking, whereas in robot mode, he looks significantly more beefy, and as such, I feel it works pretty well. I really like his 'bot mode aesthetics though, fairly ornate and armored, like some kind of demonic knight, which is something I liked about the Terrorcons in general, in that they each had an aesthetic that seemed to tie them to a type of warrior. Cruellock looks like a knight. Divebomb looks like a ninja. Insecticon has somewhat of a samurai look to him, with the crested head-dress and fierce mask. I disliked Battle Ravage most of the group because he looked so generic. Being the one armed with a gun, his bland aesthetic places him as a more modern infantry soldier, which really doesn't bring with it the same appeal as the other three.

3. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Nice thoughts on the aesthetics of the Terrorcons. Cruellock is actually the first that I've purchased, though would probably pick up Divebomb if I ran across him.

4. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

i just got universe(energon) Cruellock yesterday and i think he needs to be reviewed:

dino mode: this is where he really shines, is show accurate and looks really good.I give it a 9 out of ten

Tranformation: easy as pie, just two true steps and i like the gimmick they put when it transformers just push the legs to gether and it transformes.

Robot Mode: looks good, but has a draw back, his ;egs come undone and he reverts to dino mode. 8 out of ten

overall: i highly recommend you pick it up, he is reall fun. 9 out of 10

5. Andersonh1

Ebay:
  6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    And, as if by magic, two threads become one!

Cruellock was one of my favourite Terrorcons. Very simple, but his huge blade made up for it, in my opinion. His repaint buddies do him proud as well.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of Cruellock's dino mode, my Energon version isn't floppy at all.

The robot mode leaves a lot to be desired IMO, and I agree with your assessment. The giganto-sword the energon pices is a sweet melee weapon for the bigger bots to use.

Not my fav from the energon line, but not a terrible TF...I'd givve it a C+

8. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

I have the Doomlock variant of this figure, and I find myself very much liking him. Brown and white colors, orangish-yellow energon weapons. He has a more organic look about him. Not a bad figure for $5.

Plus, the mold just LOOKS good. He'd be genuinely imposing if he wasn't so short...