Minor/Repaint: Universe/Classics Whirl - Complete

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tentagil, Jun 7, 2008.

1. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Had a burst of creativity last night so i pulled a junker and some parts and started working. The pic is what I've done so far, mostly articulation additions. 90% of the fabrication and modifications are done. Waiting for epoxy to dry now on several pieces so I can start the painting process. This guy will be going on my classics shelf when he's all done.

The link in my Sig will go to the gallery for all my customs or you can go to my last post for a link straight to Whirl's.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    glad to see you still in action! this should be a pretty darn cool toy when you're done with it, I anticipate more pictures.

3. tentagil

Yeah, between work, getting eye surgery, and jsut life in general I've had lots of plans but haven't been able to work on any. I should have this guy done in a few days then I'll a gallery for him as well as a G1 Bombshell repaint I did to put up at my site.

Now they need to release the two pack with Roadbuster so I can give him the new head I have ready and get some more of my wreckers together.

4. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Dose That Type Of Krylon Spray Paint ok for figures because i need a certin colour n the Krylon Fusion dosent have it but this type does.......would using the type you use be ok on figures?

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I've used regular krylon, and fusion, and Xmetals. I've even used Rustoleum. Some aren't as durable, or require a longer drying-time, but they won't hurt the figure any, so nothing to worry about there.

That sucks TG, but I know how that goes!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    isn't that mold Sandstorm or Vortex ?

curious cause I just won a MW Sandstorm on ebay (99 cents!)
    and curious to the length of him... any chance you can give me an estimate?

7. tentagil

Its Universe Whirl who is a repaint of Sandstorm who is in turn a repaint of Rotorstorm.

And as he's kinda dismantled right now and half of him has wet paint on it I can't really give you a perfect measurement. He's about the 8 inches long in copter mode though, and roughly as tall as Cybertron Evac in bot mode give or take a half inch.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    awesome thanks! i'm using him as the left arm (Blades) for Defensor!

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey man! I'm always glad to see a familiar face! Welcome to TFW2005.com; it's good to see you as a Radicon!

I'm anxious to see what you come up with for a Classics Whirl; keep us posted! :thumb 

10. tentagil

I've actually been around here for awhile, just been lurking for the last few months since i didn't have the time to bash and then I got eye surgery so for about a month my vision was screwry so messing with power tools or knives didn't seem like a good idea.

I've got half the parts painted, the rest are in two batchs, one is ready for paint, the other I haven't decided on the color for. Now I just need to figure out how to make a decent looking flexible antenna for him since there isn't any room for a rigid one.

11. tentagil

Got the first batch of parts painted, second group is in th paint box now between coats. Not having an original whirl to compare too I went with a blue I thought looked close enough, and I think it looks pretty good so far.

12. tentagil

Another in progress picture, I'm impatient so i through the main body together to make sure everything fit and had to do some sanding or clearance in a few areas. I always misjudge that for some reason. Overall everything worked though. Last few pieces are drying and a few of them will get some detailing, and then he'll get all assembled, very happy with him so far.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    you're making quick work of him. nice and smooth, evenly applied paint so far.

14. tentagil

The joys of sprays. I've put a little detail on a few parts, and I have a fair amount of sanding and touch up in a few areas where clearance was tighter then i expected, I'll probably repaint those parts then clearcoat to help aleviate that issue.

Also have had to rebuild the hip mods I made. Was test fitting the legs on the torso and one ball joint snapped right off. So ditched the part I had and made a whole new one from epoxy and Bionicle parts that should be a bit stronger. Times like this I had the stuff for casting so I could jsut cast a solid piece, less weak spots. He's coming together though.

Also decided on a removable rigid antenna since I could get a flexible one that looked good. Figure I can consider the antenna a mod he hooks up like the ear phones Secret Service guys where.

15. Dilborg

Dilborg Well-Known Member

Sweet! An articulated Turbomaster! I thought about doing articulation for Leg Lock but I just couldn't be bothered.

Can't wait to see how he turns out!

16. tentagil

Legs have been giving me issues, or more precisely the hips, having to compromise a little between space and articulation there, especially since I had to rebuild the hip section after my first version decided to crack and crumble on me. the new version should be much sturdier, but inorder to have everything fit in copter mode he's not going to have quite as much range of motion there as I originally planned, but he'll still be more agile then he was just because of the removal of the knee locking rivet.

Right now jsut waiting for touch up paint to dry on the main body and the putty to dry in the newly built hip section. A little more sanding and paint once thats done and I should have him all done. Probably have a gallery up by Friday, hopefully a nice finished teaser tomorrow night I hope.

17. tentagil

Well I think I got the hips and such fixed up, paint is drying, and I've assembled his upper half again and everything is good clearance. Through up a shot of the head with antenna attached for those who has asked. I'll show how the antenna hooks on later once I can get him all together.

18. REDLINE

News Credits:
    when you shoot your gallery, take extra pictures for when it gets put in the radicons gallery, ok? get some good close-ups so people can see what you did to add in all the extra articulation :) 

19. JAF

JAF 1984

That looks great Tentagil, the color you chose is right on.

What head are you using?

20. tentagil

Its a slghtly modified Energon Shockblast head. And everything above the waist is done and looks perfect, as does everything below the knees. the actual hips however I'm gonna have to go back to the drawning board on it appears. i know how to fix them now, but its not going to be quite as pretty as I hoped.

Probably another day or two added on for reconstruction and paint. Hate it when plans don't work out.