Minor/Repaint: Universe/Classics Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hikuro, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    I've been pretty bummed that we've seen 2 repaints of Starscream, Skywarp, and then this Acid Rain figure popping up from the Seekers mold. Yet all we've seen of ol' Thundercracker is from the movie line...he hasn't even been given an Animated look yet...sad :( 

Well I just wouldn't feel happy unless I tried my hand at customizing my first Transformer, and what better choice than to do Thundercracker?
    Here's some of the details so far on my first customized Transformer!

So I think it was last week or two, I purchased the new Starscream repaint and was pretty dissapointed by the floppy joints and that his nullrays couldn't stay on his shoulders.

I took apart just about everything, unscrewing and even prying off parts and got a mass majority of him into pieces.

Following that I washed the parts with luke warm water and dish washing soap, after that I had it dry for 2 days so all the water left over in the crevasses and cracks were gone.

Today I took what I had left of my Model Master Grey Primer from my Macross VF-4 project and used it on him. Next I taped off his head, canopy and verniers and sprayed away.
    The paint job ended up taking 3 hours and turned out rather well. I lost just a little bit of detail on his upper body though.

Next will be coming up with a similar style paint scheme as Classics Starscream and Skywarp.
    The colors of choice will be mainly Blue and Silver, with some red trimming such as on the nose, the intakes with a hint of silver, and feet.

Hopefully by the time I'm finished with his coloring next week my Reprolabels will arrive which should come with a mass amount of sized Autobot and Decepticon stickers which I'll use on him since they don't have those lil old fashioned hidden symbol stickers.

Attached Files:

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Good start man! I can't wait to see what you can do with this guy.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    reprolables has the rub-signs, they come in 4s in their symbols section, just to let you know, can't wait to see it finished

4. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Ah that probably explains why i couldn't see 'em, I just stuck to one area of their site.

I did the blue and black yesterday evening and let it sit the entire night.
    It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. There are a few areas that spotted cause of the cold and stuck to the area it got painted on. So I'll have to find my blue and kind of fix that up with a little dabble here and there.
    I'm going to let it sit another day to dry off more cause I can still smell the paint coming off of it.
    Then I'll try to retape the painted areas so I can do next set which will be Silver on the torso, and blue on the front shoulders and blue on tail wings.
    While doing that I'll start to tape up the main wings and get the covered areas Red.
    With any luck it'll turn out okay and I can reassemble this thing on monday.

But I did notice, the hinges on his backside seemed to have broken around it. I don't know where and when this happened cause I haven't dropped him and it's only focused on a little piece...curious.

5. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about some breakage on your figure. It's looking good so far, and I'm sure it'll look great now that it's painted.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    TC was my first TF ever as well :)  I believe this project will turn out well for ya! Keep us posted! :thumb 

7. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    We're gonna find out! I just put on the final coat of Silver and Blue.
    I still gotta put Red on the tail fin tips then the shoulders, and some lil red on the forearms or maybe blue, we'll see, and then remember which screw goes where upon assembly. I think I'll be done by 9 or so.

The Red has worked out really well. I just took one of my bottles of Tamiya Flat Red (and works well with the gloss on the blue and black) and put Red on the wings, the nose, and on those lil bits on the front of his legs.

The breakage is still on going it seems only the right hand side by the backside of the hip is all that is keeping the thing in tacked. So I'll probably have to be gentle with this thing.

In my head, it's looking cool, but I'm holding some reserve cause I had to mask a lot of the upper body and will probably have to add a lil bit of touching up of blue to what got nailed by the silver.

8. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Here's what it looks like right now. It's not fancy shmanzy right now, but I think It'll look okay with Skywarp and Starscream by his side.

Attached Files:

9. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Silver didn't work out all that well once I took the tape off the rest of the body. Paint ended up being everywhere so I did some touching up. All I got left of the chest cavity is the middle "collar" and his intake vents. I added a bit of blue but will have to wait to apply another coat and then move them into landing position to get the rest of it.
    He looks okay, but he doesn't look fantastic. I wish I could do his face in silver so the gunmetal grey look wouldn't stick out so damn much.
    But he's still VERY loose even after the paint job. I'm not sure on what's wrong. Guess it's just shotty construction by Hasbro's part.

Attached Files:

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I would say that it looks pretty good for a first attempt! I still haven't worked up the nerve to do a complete repaint on a full-sized figure yet, so kudos! :thumb 

11. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    At 9:35PM, Thundercracker died on the operating table as I was putting him back together. Upon a transformation test the wing hinges snapped at the plastic giving away at his backside thus losing all hope of being able to properly transform without proper surgery of the joints (aka super glue I thinks) but it seems unlikely to happen as many of the hinges on his backside connected to just above his hip have gone out.

:(  Sad, he was looking so cool too.

12. bombatron

bombatron adobocon

News Credits:
    sorry for your loss... *moment of silence*

now see if you can whore out his parts!

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    how did the wing hinges snap??? I've repainted several of these, in addition to owning all the different releases, and never seen anything that could lead to such a disaster. Regardless, you can at least salvage the rest of the toy, buy a junker, and only repaint the broke parts (thus NOT having wasted all your work)

14. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    i'm not exactly sure what happened. But the whole backside was breaking at the joint which was odd. then after I had popped the the wings in place and started to reassemble the swing joint connected to the wing snapped off.
    I dunno, somehow the plastic started to feel spungy.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So sad. Hope this doesn't discourage you. I like classic seeker repaints.

16. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Nah, doesn't discourage me, only makes me think what I can do to fix it for the next time. Perhaps there was just to many coats of paint on there if you include the 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of Blue.
    I was kind of hoping this would work out so I could buy another one and do Sunstorm...buuut, until I can make some money at work that'll have to wait.

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In case you don't already know you should sand or file any areas that rub during transformation. That will give clearance for the paint.