Minor/Repaint: universe/classics apeface *update 9/10*

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DJCHARTERS, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is very much a work in progress, stared yesterday night. its going to be horrorcon apeface. im going to dyes the black bits and the internal part with the ball joints on. all feed back welcome.

*update*

taking on board peoples ideas im going to paint the hair parts black and all the mech parts purple and grey. i still need to pain the waist and paint some furr parts black but the fore arms are finished apart from a bit touching up and the head is done for now (untill i work out how to make him a head master).

comments welcome

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Great color choices!

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    COOL! i was thinking about doing Snapdragon nd Apeface out of Marvel Crossovers,
    But theres alot more to plan out, but i cant wait to see your Apeface! Will he be a headmaster? nd will there be a way to make him a triple changer?

4. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

really nice idea, I look forward to seeing him done

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

fantastic idea. i love this

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Very nice idea, and looking good so far. I'd suggest perhaps using a pale grey instead of the white, though, as it'd be a closer homage to the G1, and also not be quite as harsh a contrast.
    And as has been asked already, any chance he'll be either a Headmaster or Triple Changer? 'Cause that'd totally rule. :D 

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I second RR's statement.

8. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    im going to buy the original's head (or try to) and fashion it on to the figure. any idea how but the original head is? doubt he will be a tripple changer though, i wouldnt even know where to start in terms of the engineering involved. i think i might go for the light grey option (mainly as i hate working with white). im waiting for some dye to arrive and ill be buyng some more paint on friday so ill post updated pics as soon as ive gotten a bit more done. thanks as always for the comments :) 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Apeface's head isn't cheap (none of the HM's are), so I wish you well on finding that.

I like this idea! I think you should make this guy a triplechanger though! Add an aircraft (about any kind would do as he was a futuristic jet) as a shell to him and you'd be fine. Also, I hope you could mod the actual mold where the molded fur isn't on it (that's just a quirk of mine though, which is a holdover from my lack of affection from the BW toys).

Regardless, keep us posted and I think you're really on to something here! :thumb 

10. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Could always ask Sculpt-Bot or Darkov to cast the original's head, make things lighter on your wallet perhaps.

And I dig your custom, also. :) 

- Alty

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

And while I'm not sure offhand (as the fellas are downstairs somewhere), I seem to recall the Horrorcons are closer to Voyagers, so the original Spasma might work out a bit big for the mould anyway. On the other hand, all the bots kinda vary in size and still have interchangeable heads, so it probably wouldn't make that much difference.

Just a thought - I agree with Superquad about preferring him as entirely mechanical, but if mach-ing out those furry areas isn't an option, have you considered perhaps painting all fur areas black, and just using the purple and grey on metallic areas? That ought to give him more of the feel of a proper cyborg gorilla.

12. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    problem is a big chunk of the figure is furry, so i think covering it would lose a lot of detail and and painting the fur bits black would leave me with an almost all black figure. Im going to have a look at what i can do with it tonight. its mainly to give my botcon weird wolf some company on the shelf so i want him to have the same vibe as that. incidentally i am wanting to do snap dragon and mindwipe so any suggestions on deluxe class figures i could use would be apreciated :) 

13. dsn1014

how about using the heads from Armada sideways? You could use one for Snapdragon and one for Apeface? Then they could combine for a third headmaster figure when the two are in beast. Also I like the purple fur, makes him a bit punk. Wouldn't worry about the lack of a third mode either, for me Apeface is primarily the ape mode.

14. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    armada sideways is a very good idea, is it a deluxe? i was thinking the possibility of modding cyclonuses tm nightstick. ikt should be at a deluxe stand point already. but that may have to wait till i have cyclonus (hopefully shouldn't be long) sideways is a very good idea though

15. dsn1014

yup he's a deluxe, I think the two heads have masks for faces too.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Really? I don't have the fig, but from pics it looks like there's a decent chunk of mech detailing. I just knocked out a quick 'n' dirty of the robot mode, and while I may have missed some bits and overpainted a little fur (it's kinda hard to tell), it looks like you could have a fairly decent chunk of colour just by painting the metallic parts.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/khepris-throne/apeface1.jpg

The Armada Sideways heads are a nice idea, but they'd need some modding to not look stupid; the trouble with them is the main torsos form the heads, while the Minicons' legs flail out in the form of ridiculous-looking antennae, and the arms are still exposed as well since those are used to go into Sideways' neck to trigger the insignias. I do think a Minicon would probably be your best bet for a Headmaster, but not them. I'll have to have a ponder on that.

17. dsn1014

How about Leader-1 as his legs can fold neatl;y over, similar to the G1 headmaster transformations, though as regards how to add a face to him, I've no idea.

18. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    upon seeing that digibash ive now got tons of ideas for it. ave also been out to buy some light grey paint so this should be painted abit more tonight so ill post pics as soon as ive done it. thanks for al the ideas on this one

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Glad it helped! :D 

20. DJCHARTERS

News Credits:
    added some updated wip pics