Minor/Repaint: Universe/Classics 2.0 Dinobot perfected!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by stratonrye, Jul 31, 2009.

1. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey guys! So, I have been dreaming of this repaint ever since I saw Universe Dinobot's terrible, terrible, way not show accurate paint job. Dark brown body, thin tan stripes, banana yellow accents, and orange light piping...:banghead:  WHY??? :cry  Anyway... so I set out to fix that several weeks ago along with my other first repaint jobs. (so don't be too harsh, I'm still figuring how to best repaint stuff.) He is not quite done yet, as apparent by the paint chips (which i plan on clear coating with future later) and general messiness in places. I changed my mind on the shoulder ball joints and I am going to repaint them that tan color.

PAINTS USED (in case you want to know, because I always do.)
    Testors Enamels: Silver, Copper, and brown w/ a little bit of Model Master's gloss black
    Testors Acrylics: Model Masters French blue and Tan (4697) with a little bit of cheap apple barrel brown to darken it up

In retrospect, I really shouldn't have been so cheap and not gotten some testors acrylic brown, it would have worked so much better. The Tan and the cheap brown mix, but separate really fast so you have to keep remixing it and the paint now has a really matte finish and kind of rough feel. I'm hoping that I can get my hands on a Henkei Dinobot eventually and I will definitely use real testors acrylic brown then. Any suggestions and critiques are welcome. So, without further ado, I present my Dinobot.

oh, almost forgot to mention that I drybrushed his toes and fingers with brown and he is painted all by hand btw. Hope you like him.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      135.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      99.6 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      192.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      191.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      159 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
  2. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    sweet. in person i think it would look better than the henkei version.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    What was so bad about the orange light piping? Otherwise, nice job. I especially like the shade of tan.

4. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Great job he looks much more striking in his show accurate colours.
    Very cool all round.

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID: Thanks. I really like the henkei version (except that it is still the wrong base color) and I'm basing some of my color placements on it, so I'm glad that even my repainted version can even stand up to it let alone look better.

Split Lip: It is not that there is anything really wrong with the orange light piping, in fact I decided that I'm going to leave them intact on mine, it's just that in the show (which I LOVE) his eyes are red like all the rest of his former brethren, the Predicons. The henkei Dinobot does have red light piping (another reason I want one) and I just wish Hasbro wasn't so stupid about changing colors on the Universe/Classics 2.0 line. Also, thanks for the complement, I really like how the tan turned out too.

Spurt Reynolds: Wow, you telling me how my custom looks better in "show accurate" colors means a lot to me. I mean, with your amazing painting skills... Thanks.

I can't wait to finish cleaning him up now that I have some good, encouraging feedback. Thanks guys.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Awww now I don't love mine anymore, since you've made me realise how off-model he is, my foggy memory had allowed me to live in blissful ignorance....until now! DAMN YOU!

Kidding, naturally, AMAZING work, I thought the dino-mode was the original BW toy for a minute there, which speaks to the cleaness of your paint-work!

D/L

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:

Don't ask me to paint yours, D.

Nice paint.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I KNOW you only enjoy painting neon-pink toys, I wouldn't force you to do anything so earth-toned ;) 

9. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I'd do it for you if you send me your Dinobot. I mean, I already have the paint right. PM me if you are thinking about it and we can discuss prices.

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It could be a Transformers/Barney Crossover.

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I don't like the sound of that...

12. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    perfecto!

13. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

you did your avatar justice. LIKE A WARRIOR WOULD!

14. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Done did him justice, Strat!

15. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys like him. He is all re-disassembled and ready to be cleaned up and then I guess I'll take pictures and hopefully send them to the gallery

16. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Holy crap that's good. No wonder I didn't remember a Classics/Henkei Dinobot, it was that bad I had to remove it from memory. Your work did justice, freakin awesome!!! big ups!

17. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    This looks great! I wonder why we don't see that many repaints like this when it just makes the Universe figure so much better. :) 

My only recommendation would be to add some sort of darker-brown wash on the beast mode. There are a lot of scratches/recessed detailing on the dino hide that would look great with a darker wash.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Personally, I like the texture of the paint. :)  I think you've done a good job here :) 

As far as this custom being "perfected", I'd think it'd have to have the robot arms fixed as well as the legs in alt mode for that. :wink: 

19. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

^this would be very nice indeed. :) 

20. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey guys. I've continued working on D-bot cleaning up the spots I thought were messy and he is looking a lot better (IMO). As far as doing those dark washes, I haven't really experimented a lot that kind of technique so I am not going to chance screwing this guy up. If I get my hands on a Henkei or another Universe D-bot I will definitely give it a shot. I really want to do it because I think it would look so sick, but I'm not going to try until next time.

Superquad7, I really want to fix his arms and legs too. I don't really like how his bot mode feet just fold up on his alt. mode legs but I really can't think of any way to fix this without messing up what I do like about how they look now so I think I'm just going to live with it. As for the arms, I really want to do something about them too. I was thinking of either getting an original junker D-bot and cut off his forearms and fit those on to universe D-bot's arms. I would cut off Uni. D-bot's forearm right after the joint and smooth the other forearms on from there. I think that could look really good but it would be a lot of work. My other idea is to cut off Uni. D-bot's arms the same way but shape new forearms for him using epoxy putty or styrene and use those fingers with the same pins, just flattened out and without the stupid regular hands. But, also like the dark washes, I'll just save that until next time. It's just too much work. What can i say, I'm lazy.