Universe: Classic Series based on IDW!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by knook, Aug 6, 2008.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was reading Infiltration and I noticed how much like the IDW Generation 1 Autobots Sunstreaker and Prowl are. I realise they aren't G1 accurate but they ARE IDW accurate e.g Prowl's lightbar but more importantly Prowl and Sunstreaker are almost 100% accurate in vehicle form to the IDW verse versions. I understand that the IDW verse characters are basically updated G1 anyway but I never expected Hasbro to use the IDW designs. I'm not sure about the bot designs. Maybe someone else could search that because I wont have an internet connection for a week after tonight :) 

2. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I noticed this as well, I myself would like to know if there was a connection between IDW TF designs and Hasbro? I know they are collaborating, especially with the Revenge of the Fallen movie and the Reign of Starscream comic and upcoming Destiny comics, and at SDCC Hasbro expressing interest to make a toy of the upcoming "Drift" character.

3. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe its likely we'll see IDW characters in Universe. I made a thread about it a while ago

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I swear I have seen this thread at least 3 times before.

5. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

If you look closer the toys resemble the Comic designs but not 100%

Prowl is really close.

The Sunstreaker in Infiltration/Escalation is closer to his Alternator Transformation.

Now Guido Guidi(who designed DRIFT) is using alot of the Universe 2.0 designs in ALL HAIL MEGATRON(which is 1 year after the end of REVELATIONS)

;) 

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think there's a thread that disccused this, Hasbro requires the licensees (IDW in this case) to get story approval first, and have lately been sharing some designs. Stormbringer Jetfire, for example, was heavily based on the then upcoming Classics Jetfire, and several of the more recent comics have been using more MP/Alt/Classics/25th versions of the figures, not that they're required to do so, but as a kind of "tie in" that's not a tie-in, unlike the Marvel G1 era where certain toys had to be featured in issues, here it's optional, but neat that they do it.

So once again, I think this is another case of the other way around, much like the toys weren't TV accurate, but the TV wasn't toy accurate, this is a similar situation, IDW is occasionally being toy accurate. (Obviously this isn't the steadfast rule, as toys like the WWI Grimlock and Prowl are obviously based off the comics, but still, more often then not...)

7. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think All Hail Megatron uses the MP SS, TC and SW